Why Makro Why????

dingdongrb

21 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea its standard supermarket tactic so clients will search more and buy more stuff they normally would not have bought.

I can remember doing that as a part timer having to move stuff around in the supermarket was standard so people would see new stuff.

I thought everyone knew this......   boring!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I was in retail for a number of years back in the States. My stores would do exactly this, rearrange things for no good reason. Sometimes I got excuses like "market research determined this is a more ideal location for the product" or some such BS. I never bought it.

I then had one manager finally admit it to me. It's quite simple really. Customers spend more time searching for what they need, and in the process, buy more.

Correct. Stores do it worldwide, so it must be effective.

All large markets do this.  As you shop a store and learn where everything is located you just go straight to the items you want and bypass everything else.  They want you to see more of the stuff.  It increases their sales.

22 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

It's not fun to re-chase everything down....

Makro does do this semi regularly.....

There's probably a reason for it - maybe....

While I agree, I do recall working US retail while in college. We changed the aisle end shelves to see what worked best for sales. I’ve lived in Chiang Mai for a decade, I have learned to expect change in life, inconvenient as it is at times.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It's a technique that supermarkets use , by moving stuff about

you have to go and look for it, and in doing so you might spot

a product that you had not seen before, it is used to increase sales.

it's annoying , but works for the supermarkets.

regards worgeordie 

Adding to your comment companies can also ‘purchase’ prime shelf space and end of aisles for greater exposure (rebates are a big thing in retail)
I’m sure there’s other reason but these are the two I know of 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

So why Makro make your repeat customers have to wonder around longer than desired to find what they had always bought before?

The same reason every other supermarket has done it(every year) for as long as i can remember.

You have already stated the reason why they do this you whizz around and buy your essentials and go, in other words, no impulse buying.

Now, in your search for your normal shopping you may well come across other items that may take your fancy.

by the time i wrote this at least 3 people had written the same thing. It's not a competition? ????

Edited by Dene16
addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

So why Makro make your repeat customers have to wonder around longer than desired to find what they had always bought before? Perhaps they are thinking that while looking you may buy more? Or do they think that product rotation is needed similar to crop rotation?

All hypermarkets, and also supermarkets, do that. I think they may wish you to see more stuff of interest when walking around looking for products that used to be on those shelf. I stopped getting irritated, because that's how it is, it's part of shopping experience, not only in Thailand, but it was, and probably still is, the same in my Scandinavian home country...????

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Picky, picky? It is called marketing. The world does not revolve around you.

THey call it marketing, I call it stupid. All retailers have the same idea. I used to be in sales and our biggest problem was the idiots from MARKETING. Marketing does a lot of things so they can make themselves feel important similar like politicians.

• Sad 1

I used to go to Makro once a week. But now I'm using a credit card more because of the favorable exchange rates without foreign exchange fees. Since prices at Makro aren't that much cheaper than if at all to Big C. I'd rather go to Big C and use a credit card. Recently Big C gave me a couple of 300 baht receipt vouchers which I used the following week with no problem. Now, about the only thing I stop a Makro for is their cheap bottled drinking water and their wheat bread. I've never understood why they have to punch the receipt before you go out. Maybe they're copying America's Costco, but they only take a cursory glance at the cart and don't bother counting the items like they do at Costco. 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, VocalNeal said:

What do you mean ?, make this guy a VIP give him his own entrance, hell  make a store just for him 

They do this with monotonous regularity in LOS, - I'm convinced it is to upset all the farang's who shop there. Don't worry - they do it here in Australia too. I went to a Woolworths this week & the entire place had been re-shuffled. After 5 minutes, I just gave up and complained to a supervisor - she said "we have a new boss from South Africa,  take it up with him - we hate it too". That bloke won't last long, as Aussies HATE change. I stick to Coles here - they are too lazy to change anything.

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:54 AM, dingdongrb said:

Perhaps they are thinking that while looking you may buy more?

Exactly. UK supermarkets used to do this hoping to encourage impulse buying, but they seemed to have stopped now.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, canthai55 said:

This is an example of getting people to post on forums.

Thai Visa has many many people travelling around LOS, getting retailers, road builders, Amphurs, etc to change their procedures, move stuff around, generally throw a wrench into the system.

In doing so this gets people to come on the Forum and lament the changes, which increases forums revenue as well as the number of people who post.

Simple Eh - 555

Please let me know when you are posting your next conspiracy theory, this one was quite entertaining.

Hey guys,

If you'd studied in Business School and took the Merchandising Course you'd have learnt why! ???? 

BTW, I did smile when I read some comments about Marketing vs Sales, as well.

As an introduction, please have a look at a book: Marketing Management by Philip Kotler. There's a chance you'd learn a little bit about Marketing Mix (4Ps, 7Ps), relationship between Sales & Marketing, etc.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, VocalNeal said:

A classic example of why not to post when inebriated. I don't remember posting this at all.

5 hours ago, royalmice said:

Did u think of asking the question directedly to Makro, instead of posting it in a forum where a bunch of retired old farangs are hanging out.

So you can sleep easily I'll let you know that I stopped at the customer service desk and asked. (Well before making my OP.) Needless to say they didn't understand me. They thought I was wanting to find a specific item and proceeded to call someone to come and help me.

• Haha 1