Why Makro Why????

dingdongrb

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

It's not fun to re-chase everything down....

Makro does do this semi regularly.....

There's probably a reason for it - maybe....

Fixed your post....

There's probablypossiblyhopefully  a  logical,  good,  acceptable reason for it - maybe

Actually we're all just lab rats and this whole living in Thailand thing is just a macabre test from which we may eventually be released.

Edited by gamb00ler

56 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The ones that abandon their half filled trolley in the middle of the aisle to go grab something.... I grab stuff out of their trolley and sit it back on the shelf.

That's OK... while you were distracted I added a few 'questionable' purchases to your cart.  Didn't you notice at the checkout?

• Haha 1

Its marketing.  It is why the most sought after items like milk are often put at the very back of the store.  They want you to have to walk past everything hoping you will wander into something you don't routinely buy.  If they maintained the same shelf location, they know customers will go directly to the items they want without accidentally wandering into that unexpected item. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

When the worst thing to complain about is the relocation of products within a Makro, you know life is pretty good ????

Perhaps I should have this thread deleted and start a new one where I whine how online 90 Day Reporting isn't working or I can't do the Visa Extension myself so can someone suggest an agent?  Wait, is it raining in your area yet? ????

• Haha 1

Heres a solution for the OP.

Download the Makro App.

Order everything you want on that and either arrange collection or have it delivered.

They can then do what the hell thry like internally, you get exactky what you want compiled for you.

Easy ! (Invoice in your inbox ????)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

So why Makro make your repeat customers have to wonder around longer than desired to find what they had always bought before? Perhaps they are thinking that while looking you may buy more?

You partly answered your own question with your second question.

Another reason is that an old store can have new competition in a market.  New competition can draw the interest of customers away from the old store.  Moving things around is a way to freshen up the shopping experience for customers.

Yet another reason is that the popularity of products (or product categories) changes over time.  For example, the old layout may have prioritized home appliances by putting them up front when you first enter the store.  Those appliances may no longer be a big draw for customers (who can easily research and buy online) or may no longer offer as big a margin for the store to justify the amount of space or the position they occupy in the store.

• Thanks 1

Just now, asiacurious said:

You partly answered your own question with your second question.

Another reason is that an old store can have new competition in a market.  New competition can draw the interest of customers away from the old store.  Moving things around is a way to freshen up the shopping experience for customers.

Yet another reason is that the popularity of products (or product categories) changes over time.  For example, the old layout may have prioritized home appliances by putting them up front when you first enter the store.  Those appliances may no longer be a big draw for customers (who can easily research and buy online) or may no longer offer as big a margin for the store to justify the amount of space or the position they occupy in the store.

For example, the aircons and fans are the first things you see in the hot season - certainly true of my local HomePro store

But unlike my local Tesco supermarket that has its dedicated bakery at the back of the store which is good in the UK but here, they don't even bake any bread!!

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

I only went in for a pack of screws. I was in there for nearly an hour. Came out with an electric screwdriver, a saucepan, a muffin tin, some car polish, and a set of towels.

I forgot the screws and had to go back.

Great shop.

If you had bought a cuddly toy it would have been just another day on the Generation Game ????

Good game, good game ????

12 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

It's also a way to see who all is living a mundane life where they are monitoring these forums as if nothing else is occurring and have to reply to a post within minutes of the OP going up......  ????

Yet here you are - asking a bunch of strangers to explain a corporations procedures.

Life is about change - like Darwin said "Adapt or Die"

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

All Supermarkets employ this method of  " shopping experience ", and Makro are no different.

Everything is intended to make you spend more Money.

How ? By moving stuff around the Store, you are compelled to walk around looking for the items that you visited the Store to purchase. As you walk around you pass product that you would not normally view, or purchase, and many people are compelled to make that impulse purchase.

Same goes for 7/11 Stores.

Put the cold drinks at the rear of the Store 

Why ? because if you want a cold drink, you have to pass by other product, and again the impulse purchase is activated.

There are many ploys that Supermarkets use to get you and your Money separated.

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Put the cold drinks at the rear of the Store 

I think the cold drinks are in the back for a couple of reasons:

1) The heat from the compressors don't exit into the store which are usually air conditioned.

2) Most coolers used in 7-11s are stocked from the rear doors which makes it easy to just reach onto the pallets/cartons stored in the storage areas which are located directly behind the coolers.

15 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

With supermarkets being so big in area these days and for a few years in fact, I have been saying, why not a floor map showing where categories are located?

Any floor map will invariably be in Thai which won't help many here.

14 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Its marketing.  It is why the most sought after items like milk are often put at the very back of the store.  They want you to have to walk past everything hoping you will wander into something you don't routinely buy.  If they maintained the same shelf location, they know customers will go directly to the items they want without accidentally wandering into that unexpected item. 

That's how the most profitable 7-elevens work. I pull in gagging for a cold drink, enter and head to the drinks coolers at the back and grab a couple on 7 baht water bottles. By the time I get to the check-out, I have also got a bag of Lays, a chunky Kit-Kat, some pork-filled buns, two bananas and a pack of gum.

It's only a little worse when the kids are with me.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Heres a solution for the OP.

Download the Makro App.

Order everything you want on that and either arrange collection or have it delivered.

They can then do what the hell thry like internally, you get exactky what you want compiled for you.

Easy ! (Invoice in your inbox ????)

Once again Captain Sensible aka @CharlieH rides to the rescue.

17 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I was expecting a shrewd reply, but so quickly?

If it's marketing then why did it take them so long to do? If it's marketing why aren't they stocking newer/different item?

Like I said, I have my reasons for questioning what I thought was a convenience, at least for me.

Thanks for showing up.....

Maybe because they bought Tesco which is now Lotus.

If you can't find what you look for at Makro, you maybe go to Lotus and pay more for it????

I too hate re-learning a stores layout… but… I do think that IF they redid the layout so that more products were now on offer - that’s good for me (sure, it might be things i don’t buy, but still, IMHO, more choice is better) or perhaps they made the layout more “intuitive” -here too, that is a good thing.

So, i don’t support move for the sake of moving (which i highly doubt that is what happened) but i DO think it’s good if there’s a direct positive impact on the shopper and his/her experience in-store. 

4 minutes ago, new2here said:

I too hate re-learning a stores layout… but… I do think that IF they redid the layout so that more products were now on offer - that’s good for me (sure, it might be things i don’t buy, but still, IMHO, more choice is better) or perhaps they made the layout more “intuitive” -here too, that is a good thing.

So, i don’t support move for the sake of moving (which i highly doubt that is what happened) but i DO think it’s good if there’s a direct positive impact on the shopper and his/her experience in-store. 

Never go shopping unless dragooned .......can't remember the last time I went......unless it is for electrical gadgets, but that isn't really shopping!!!

20 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There is. It makes you look at all the things you wouldn't look at in a 'get in, hit em hard and get out' spree.

It's a deliberate marketing ploy.

(I did a 2. year apprenticeship in Wholesale and Exim in an earlier life 555)

Edited by BusyB

Yes it's definitely a marketing ploy.We did it in our clothing stores ...Too high light new or under selling products etc or make it look like we had new merchandise mid season etc . And it did work surprisingly well people bought stuff they had never noticed before ,spent more time looking etc. However most people go to Makro with a list and are not impulse buyers,don't go to shine the eyes(browse) They do have the free sample kiosks etc to highlight new products etc. I would like to see the stats on it's benefit for grocery stores.. personally I would suspect the loss of sales due to being unable to find stuff and the longer time spent shopping hence reduced number of customers checked out in a day would negate the benefit. The Makro we shop at has moved the baguettes recently to several different locations .Twice I ve assumed they were sold out and didn't search further.