Thai Prime Minister announces on social media easing of some Bangkok Covid-19 restrictions, states Phuket Sandbox will move forward on July 1st

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha stated on his Facebook account, “We (The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the CCSA) have agreed to the easing of several Bangkok restrictions.”

Carve it into stone ... the latest commandments

Perhaps he is simply side stepping his blatantly incompetent tourism minister. I think Phiphat should have stuck to the gas station thing. More his aptitude. 

If they don't try something on July 1st, they will be formally considered sadists.

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Now.....is a foot massage just the feet....or does it allow massage up to and including the knee?.......Is there any one watching to stop it venturing beyond the knee?

good point,keep the curtains closed

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, khunphil said:

The question is 'how many are the few'.? If 7 days free in Phuket is compared to 14 days in a bkk hotel room... Phuket could have significant numbers of non tourists willing to shorter their quarantine time... Until bkk adjusts... 

Is it 7 days or 14 days in Phuket.

Just like everyone else, I'm confused.

From the linked article in the OP:

...“As for the Phuket Sandbox, we are ready to move forward on schedule as more than 70 percent of people in Phuket have been vaccinated with at least one dose as of today.” The Prime Minister stated, referring to government statistics that stated the current total was 72% of island permanent residents vaccinated.

TPN media notes this number may not reflect foreign residents or migrant workers who aren’t counted under government census programs...

Prior to this latest statement by the Prime Minister, the talk was always about the vaccination of 70% of the population of Phuket and I always doubted that this could be achieved.

Now, it is about the permanent residents of Phuket island, of which statistically 72% have so far received at least one dose of a vovid-19 vaccine. I guess it is impossible to estimate what percentage of the total population this represents, but this obviously does not matter now and perhaps has never been taken into consideration.

Let us therefore look at the part of Phuket's population that that is registered in house registration books as residing in Phuket, to how I shall refer as the "resident population". How many are they, including those of an age too young to qualify for the vaccination? How many of this total "resident population" have been vaccinated?

According to one source, 16.45% of Thailand's population is 0—14 years old. I the same is the case for Phuket, it means that 86% of the "resident population" aged 15 and older has been vaccinated. I doubt that this is indeed the case.

6 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

They achieved not letting the virus run out of controls. You could have got a situation like in some European countries where they were having over 100,000 cases a day and hospitals full. 

This Indian variant is much more trannsmissible - no chance they can get it back to zero. 

Hyperbole. I don't remember 100,000 cases a day in any European country

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Behave. If you think Thailand is a tough gig to get into - go see neighbours Hong Kong and Singapore which are closed, and if you get government permission to enter you will do a horrific 3 weeks quarantine. Try getting into Vietnam! Thailand has one of the more open approaches in Asia.

There is a raging pandemic with a more transmissible variant. If they put no measures in place (albeit some are misguided) you'd have a scenario with a virus raging out of control (see India), which will in turn cause more damage. 

But Singapore and Hong Kong are not typical touist destinations, nor do they rely on 20% of their GDP from tourism.

What you have is a system that discourages tourism to prevent Covid and yet has little control on illegals from surrounding countries. Over 30,000 were caught trying to enter and that's just the ones they know about.

THAT is the real problem.

9 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Thats what I thought but the missus saw on TV that it was 7.

This is what I saw published on the 11th.  In the article it states 14 days.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28458/phuket-sandbox-is-set-to-open-july-1-how-will-it-work/

I also saw it in an article published today in another Bangkok English language newspaper

Edited by statman78
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, statman78 said:

This is what I saw published on the 11th.  In the article it states 14 days.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28458/phuket-sandbox-is-set-to-open-july-1-how-will-it-work/

I also saw it in an article published today in another Bangkok English language newspaper

I would for if it was 7 days but not 14days...

Totally ridiculous that if you are fully vaccinated that you have to spend this length of time on Phuket.

They are deluded if they think many people are going to go...

7 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Just a warning if i'm in a park, and some jogger dares runs past me without a mask in heavy exhale pespiration emitting from their mouths i will explode. 

That will teach him/her if they gets blood and guts in mouth from you exploding.

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

Who says there is no drinking?  You don't need a bar to drink. Don't let that stop you from your whine.  Would you like some cheese with that?

So I take it you enjoy drinking by yourself in your hotel room? Sounds about right ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Behave. If you think Thailand is a tough gig to get into - go see neighbours Hong Kong and Singapore which are closed, and if you get government permission to enter you will do a horrific 3 weeks quarantine. Try getting into Vietnam! Thailand has one of the more open approaches in Asia.

There is a raging pandemic with a more transmissible variant. If they put no measures in place (albeit some are misguided) you'd have a scenario with a virus raging out of control (see India), which will in turn cause more damage. 

Fact , the UK still allows Indian visitors into the country ( after belatedly moving India to the red list ) albeit under a 14 day expensive quarantine which is paid by the visitor . The UK government logic is to vaccinate most of the population . In doing this the infection rate will drop and the effect of the covid sickness will be minimal and hospital admissions very low at a manageable level . There is not enough vaccine to go around globally and therefore mutations will occur resulting in new booster vaccinations nearly every year . Covid is here to stay alongside influenza . 

the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, what a bunch of contradicting morrons  555

TV and Phuket News from yesterday

Tourism minister: Phuket unlikely to be ready for "sandbox" opening - "sealed route" share with Samui proposed

today

Thai Prime Minister  states Phuket Sandbox will move forward on July 1st

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps he is simply side stepping his blatantly incompetent tourism minister. I think Phiphat should have stuck to the gas station thing. More his aptitude. 

If they don't try something on July 1st, they will be formally considered sadists.

I would wager that if they do try something on July 1st, the are in fact masochists.
"But but but, where are the tourists?"
Beg for them.  Beg for them!!!

4 hours ago, superal said:

Fact , the UK still allows Indian visitors into the country ( after belatedly moving India to the red list ) albeit under a 14 day expensive quarantine which is paid by the visitor . 

FACT. The UK government does not allow Indian visitors to the UK. It allows UK citizens or those with a permanant residence stamp in India to come back, and then quarantine in a hotel. It does not allow indian citizens or those with visas to enter the UK. Albeit these restrictions came far too late. 

Edited by AnnieSeek

15 minutes ago, AnnieSeek said:

FACT. The UK government does not allow Indian visitors to the UK. It allows UK citizens or those with a permanant residence stamp in India to come back, and then quarantine in a hotel. It does not allow indian citizens or those with visas to enter the UK. Albeit these restrictions came far too late. 

Unlike Australia and the U.S.A. who have stopped any flights from India be they residents of OZ or the US or not . BJ has a lot to answer for belatedly red lighting India too late and now look at the UK , having the Indian virus really taking off . It has been reported that UK residents returning from India were obtaining fake covid pcr test certs in India which allowed them to fly to the UK but cannot blame them as a matter of life or death . Thailand needs to be careful about opening up to any tourists until they have a high level of their population vaccinated .But without bars being open , their will be few if any tourists .

34 minutes ago, superal said:

Unlike Australia and the U.S.A. who have stopped any flights from India be they residents of OZ or the US or not . BJ has a lot to answer for belatedly red lighting India too late and now look at the UK , having the Indian virus really taking off . It has been reported that UK residents returning from India were obtaining fake covid pcr test certs in India which allowed them to fly to the UK but cannot blame them as a matter of life or death . Thailand needs to be careful about opening up to any tourists until they have a high level of their population vaccinated .But without bars being open , their will be few if any tourists .

Second time you are chatting nonsense again. Australia has resumed repatriation flights from India for their citizens. Like the UK, you enter quarantine on return. 

Conveniantly you ignored your early post statement where you stated that Indians could come to the UK and do a quarantine. You were wrong, but have chosen to ignore it. 

You  now claim you have read media reports that people returning back to the UK from India have obtained false PCR tests. Other than reading media reports you have not seen any physical evidence yourself - and besides even if they do get a fake PCR test they still have to do a quarantine in a hotel in the UK anywayas. Why are you only concerned about India? You can get fake PCR tests result anywhere - be it Turkey, Jamaica, hell even Thailand.

You aren't racist by any chance? Your obsession with India is next leve. Do you know about the British variant? Stay chilled. 

15 hours ago, khunphil said:

The question is 'how many are the few'.? If 7 days free in Phuket is compared to 14 days in a bkk hotel room... Phuket could have significant numbers of non tourists willing to shorter their quarantine time... Until bkk adjusts... 

I thought I read that they extended the 7 day to 14 day stay in Phuket before you could travel to any other parts of Thailand.... 

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

What's very possibly pushing the government is the realization that Millions of Thai folks who work in many aspects of tourism have been out of work for a long time and are struggling to survive / struggling to provide basic food for their kids and the country desperately/very urgently needs to get these folks back to work before there is a humanitarian disaster on their hands or even violent revolt.  

Millions of Thai folks working in many aspects of tourism ? Most of the people working in Patong, serving/cooking in restaurants, room maids, the beach chair boys are ALL Birmese.

4 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Millions of Thai folks working in many aspects of tourism ? Most of the people working in Patong, serving/cooking in restaurants, room maids, the beach chair boys are ALL Birmese.

OK, however their Thai employers are no doubt putting the pressure on in respect to their business revenues  / personal fortunes and were talking about a lot of owners.

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OK, however their Thai employers are no doubt putting the pressure on in respect to their business revenues  / personal fortunes and were talking about a lot of owners.

Nearly all the places where I dine have foreign owners, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Italian, French, Israelian and Uzbekistan and they serve very tasty Thai food.