Thai Prime Minister announces on social media easing of some Bangkok Covid-19 restrictions, states Phuket Sandbox will move forward on July 1st

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Who will get the blame when the S box fails? which it almost certainly will, apart from a few returning who live here. Can't see tourists coming for no drinking, no fun and shuttered up shops.

The question is 'how many are the few'.? If 7 days free in Phuket is compared to 14 days in a bkk hotel room... Phuket could have significant numbers of non tourists willing to shorter their quarantine time... Until bkk adjusts... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Good news and bad news.

Good things opening up, especially the nonsensical choice to close down parks. 

Bad news - infections will definately creep up. 

Just a warning if i'm in a park, and some jogger dares runs past me without a mask in heavy exhale pespiration emitting from their mouths i will explode. 

1 hour ago, cclub75 said:

Great news.

But why no one asking : "what did we achieve ?"

Let's speak about "gardens" and "swimming pools" for instance (in Bangkok).

January 2 : they close

Source : https://thailand.prd.go.th/mobile_detail.php?cid=4&nid=10577

February 1 : they open.

Source : https://thailand.prd.go.th/mobile_detail.php?cid=4&nid=10743

April 24 : They close.

Source : https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-reports-2839-new-coronavirus-cases-8-new-deaths-2021-04-24/

June 14 : They open.

And ?

(cases from december 1 to june 11, source Our World in Data).

THAITHAI.png.7819977cd587b59a653a90f8f0a29adc.png

Where is the science ?

Where is the logic ?

The truth hurts : nowhere.

They achieved not letting the virus run out of controls. You could have got a situation like in some European countries where they were having over 100,000 cases a day and hospitals full. 

This Indian variant is much more trannsmissible - no chance they can get it back to zero. 

• Sad 1

Five businesses which will be allowed to open in Bangkok and can go back to service EFFECTIVE MONDAY, JUNE 14TH while implementing Covid-19 preventative measures are museums and similar attractions, public parks and botanical parks, beauty clinics, massage shops (foot massages only), nail shops and tattoo shops.” The statement from the PM said.

Still no mention of fitness centres / condo gyms re-opening. 

5 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

You didn't read the timeline ?

Gardens and swimming were closed and then opened in january/februrary... with a much lower number of cases per day than now... when we do reopen them.

I repeat the question : where is the logic ?

You can't have it both way : closing in january with less than 1 000 cases per day, and open again with more than 2 000 cases in june.

Here is my own hypothesis : those policies (closing gardens and swimming pools) are just gimmicks. They have ZERO EFFECT on the virus.

I assume parks and pools were closed as they intended to stop close social gatherings in large groups. Tad misguided of course. 

There is also the psychological trick of raising awareness by some low level, yet striking policies - eg, closing malls an hour early. On the surface it does very little to stop the spread, but it does raise awareness and resonates with people who may have become relaxed. 

You also have to assume that perhaps they attempted to get the virus back to zero covid like they have enjoyed with past outbreaks, but it's an impossible task with the new variant. I'm sure they aren't prepared to let the virus rip through the country, but ultimately they are going to accept medium levels of covid. 

Edited by AnnieSeek
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thasoss said:

with all the restrictions put in place for phuket opening I can only come to 1 conclusion......."that they really don't want tourists to return".....furthermore I believe it is the governments intention to close down farang entertainment venues for good....I.E. bars,go go bars and massage shops.

Behave. If you think Thailand is a tough gig to get into - go see neighbours Hong Kong and Singapore which are closed, and if you get government permission to enter you will do a horrific 3 weeks quarantine. Try getting into Vietnam! Thailand has one of the more open approaches in Asia.

There is a raging pandemic with a more transmissible variant. If they put no measures in place (albeit some are misguided) you'd have a scenario with a virus raging out of control (see India), which will in turn cause more damage. 

Edited by AnnieSeek
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, thasoss said:

with all the restrictions put in place for phuket opening I can only come to 1 conclusion......."that they really don't want tourists to return".....furthermore I believe it is the governments intention to close down farang entertainment venues for good....I.E. bars,go go bars and massage shops.

Dont forget the shopping malls in Phuket they are on their knee's

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Dont forget the shopping malls in Phuket they are on their knee's

yes,as they are everywhere.As an example I can get most of what I need in the village,the rest I buy online.Dont go into the city anymore,all retail is doing it tough right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thasoss said:

yes,as they are everywhere.As an example I can get most of what I need in the village,the rest I buy online.Dont go into the city anymore,all retail is doing it tough right now.

I think Jungceylon is already closed in Patong

1 hour ago, AnnieSeek said:

Just a warning if i'm in a park, and some jogger dares runs past me without a mask in heavy exhale pespiration emitting from their mouths i will explode. 

make sure it's recorded on video - that could go viral lol

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Who will get the blame when the S box fails? which it almost certainly will, apart from a few returning who live here. Can't see tourists coming for no drinking, no fun and shuttered up shops.

If the potential tourist base making plans to book vacations aren't watching this Flipping and the Flopping of Thai government officials with utter horror and suspicion - they deserve what they get when they arrive.
Personally the complete unreliability and instability of the situation from day to day would personally make me stop and book a vacation elsewhere.  No way would I set foot in this churning confusion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Good news and bad news.

Good things opening up, especially the nonsensical choice to close down parks. 

Bad news - infections will definately creep up. 

Yes excessive flatulence can be a problem when you have been cooped up for so long. 

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

No no no.  Uncle Tu understands!  The tourist are coming to tour temples, make merit, and bask in the glow of Thai culture from the recesses of their prison cells hotel rooms..

• Haha 1