Mice in the car, how to get rid

notrub

Hello, me again.  Following the successful repair of my Toyota CH-R lighting system, now the windscreen washer fluid does not work.  I can hear the motor running and the reservoir is full, also the back fluid delivery works fine.  On investigating under the bonnet I have found lots of evidence that mice have been chewing on rubber bits there.  I assume the mice have chewed the hose and will take it to the garage for repair.  I have placed these little mouse poison lozenges in the engine compartment where they will not be dislodged by driving but here is my question.  What else can I do?  I do not have an air tight garage so leaving the car running to poison them with exhaust fumes is not an easy option.  Any other ideas please?  Thank you very much.

I put medium size mothballs in the tops of spray paint cans (or other similar) and place the tops in outer areas of the engine compartment.  That's worked for me for years.....living in the jungle.

You can also place a few of the large mothballs under the engine compartment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Befriend a cat?

My cat loved the critters. Would bring them to me to show that she was doing  good job.

Same here, a cat showed up at mine when young, fed her and been brilliant for the vermin ever since.

I've taken in 4 more strays since.

Let nature do it's thing.

• Like 1

If you live in a house and the car is parked on your own property, get a cat. I had a "mice in the car" problem and tried everything, but couldn't shift the blighters. A stray cat turned up at my property and within days, the mouse problem had vanished. Problem was, she used to leave the heads and tails outside my front door to prove what a clever girl she was.

• Haha 2

Our dog always lets us know if there is any critter in the car but we have to be quick otherwise he starts to eat the car!

We then lock him up and leave the bonnet etc open so it can escape and get caught by next doors cat. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Google boosts Python by turning it into Go | InfoWorld

I had a snake in my car once.  It had been in bedroom with a sleeping baby so I chased it out onto the balcony, where it fell on the head of a visiting friend's g/f. Then it slithered into my car and wrapped itself around the compressor. I couldn't get it out so drove the car to a car wash, and the flushed it out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

In my Fortuner i owned before i got 2 dead squirrels, they passing the fan but couldn't go back.

It resulted in a terrible smell for weeks.

The Toyota dealer told me they have special grids it can mounted in the inlet.

I heard they come in Trucks now , I have a Rocco New I hope it works 

I had a rat attack last year which was initiated by the brother-in-law leaving a sack of corn kernels (for his chooks) near the parking gazebo as it had a wee split in it. The rats would grab the kernels and then climb into the engine compartment for a nice quiet dinner. I guess they then started going after the wiring before one got trapped in the re-circulation vent, died and started to stink.

The mothballs work as well as tobacco so I made a few plastic air traps using both ingredients, strategically placed around the engine compartment. Now I simply leave the bonnet (hood) open which removes their cover. I have covered parking so that's not a problem.

Keeping the yard clear of things they like to eat seems to be a good guide. That can be difficult in a rural or farm setting but things like dog dishes can also bring them in.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Google boosts Python by turning it into Go | InfoWorld

I had a snake in my car once.  It had been in bedroom with a sleeping baby so I chased it out onto the balcony, where it fell on the head of a visiting friend's g/f. Then it slithered into my car and wrapped itself around the compressor. I couldn't get it out so drove the car to a car wash, and the flushed it out. 

6 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:
3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

In my Fortuner i owned before i got 2 dead squirrels, they passing the fan but couldn't go back.

It resulted in a terrible smell for weeks.

The Toyota dealer told me they have special grids it can mounted in the inlet.

I heard they come in Trucks now , I have a Rocco New I hope it works

I have a Ranger and made my own grills to block their access to the re-circulation vent. A few days ago, I found that they are now available for the Ranger and Everest on lazada.

Another tip is to stuff any crevices and openings to the air-conditioning (under the scuttle below the windshield) with steel wool scrubbing pads.

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread.   Going to put out poison traps in the garage now.   

Might not be an issue, but if it's getting to be dangerous (to your car and thus your life), maybe consider a no food/eating in the car rule.  

On 6/13/2021 at 2:37 PM, kokesaat said:

medium size mothballs

Where did you buy or have a photo of the package?

Is it this "Naphtalene" balls?:

(the Thai word translates simply as "stinky balls")

naphtalene.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Where did you buy or have a photo of the package?

Is it this "Naphtalene" balls?:

(the Thai word translates simply as "stinky balls")

naphtalene.jpg

I just got those at Foodland , where the mops cleaning supplies , near liquor dept 

• Like 1