US Embassy - where are you when I need you?

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, not much on it.

In any event, the plan would be to build facilities all over the world and staff them such that a new vaccine can be produced at a moment's notice? What do the staff do while waiting for the next pandemic?

It seems to me that production is not that much of an issue now, they seem to have excess capacity in some countries...

bee

It's been quite a while since I read about PEPVAR. I have some files. Message me to know more.

When I checked for appointments this morning for first adult passports, nothing in June and July, August had many openings. Previously when I had checked, maybe a week ago, nothing. I guess they had not opened up August at that time. Anyway, I am not impressed.

2 hours ago, placnx said:

I don't have time to explain here how the blockchain works

Whatever the block chain is?   The fact remains that there are three main components to getting an adequate supply of vaccine.  1. the necessary production capacity  2. the necessary logistic system to transport the vaccines and 3. adequate hospital/clinic delivery facilities.  Even assuming that Pfizer could somehow drop 70 million doses of vaccine in Thailand there currently does not exist the mechanism to transport that volume of vaccine.  Even assuming that the vaccine could somehow be transported and there was adequate long term storage, there is no way the Thai hospitals/clinics can manage having 50 - 70 million people queuing at the doors to receive it. 

You seem to be of the opinion that there is a production capacity problem.  Even if true, the fastest way would be to get other competent vaccine labs repurposed on a temporary basis to ramp up production.  Now if that was accomplished, you still have to deal with making sure that the logistic support to transport it and the hospital/clinics have both the personnel and systems to efficiently inoculate people.  

Perhaps their are some organizations that are acting as a hub to collect vaccines from various donor countries and have them distributed world wide.  One way or another it is totally impractical for the countries of this world to work out separate arrangements to service specific groups of expatriates in every corner of the globe. 

The best countries could do is work out some sort of arrangement with the vaccine companies to work out designated shipments to various companies with those shipments being ear marked for specific expatriate groups.   How well that would work, I have my doubts. You currently have a commodity with high demand and high value.  I suspect that any shipment going to such countries as Angola, Tanzania, Guana, Thailand, Laos, Burma and many others would have a significant likelihood of being diverted either by the workers handling the shipment from arrival to delivery or from government officials who would find a way that the shipment is lost in transit.   As mentioned, even in a territory of the USA, Puerto Rico, government aid in the form of supplies such as food, water, and medicines never made it past the docks before they were grabbed by those in charge and sold on the black market.  I have no doubt that would be replayed around the world. 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, not much on it.

In any event, the plan would be to build facilities all over the world and staff them such that a new vaccine can be produced at a moment's notice? What do the staff do while waiting for the next pandemic?

It seems to me that production is not that much of an issue now, they seem to have excess capacity in some countries...

I think that the facilities should be in US, EU, JP, KR, UK, TW, not just anywhere. These countries could use the facilities for producing advanced medicines such as vaccines for cancer when not needed for an emergency. I believe that cancer vaccine was the original plan of BioNTech in Germany. The PEPVAR concept has a lot of other parts. Many fatalities are happening because of a rudimentary health care system in places like India.

One of my teachers, Arthur Lewis, emphasized that basic health care was a fundamental in development. In those days, the 60s, having a manageable family size was difficult if survivability was too uncertain. If we have repeated out-of-control pandemics the world will be shot to pieces.

As for capacity, I read that Moderna was increasing production because their subcontractor in Switzerland is doubling the production lines.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Whatever the block chain is?   The fact remains that there are three main components to getting an adequate supply of vaccine.  1. the necessary production capacity  2. the necessary logistic system to transport the vaccines and 3. adequate hospital/clinic delivery facilities.  Even assuming that Pfizer could somehow drop 70 million doses of vaccine in Thailand there currently does not exist the mechanism to transport that volume of vaccine.  Even assuming that the vaccine could somehow be transported and there was adequate long term storage, there is no way the Thai hospitals/clinics can manage having 50 - 70 million people queuing at the doors to receive it. 

You seem to be of the opinion that there is a production capacity problem.  Even if true, the fastest way would be to get other competent vaccine labs repurposed on a temporary basis to ramp up production.  Now if that was accomplished, you still have to deal with making sure that the logistic support to transport it and the hospital/clinics have both the personnel and systems to efficiently inoculate people.  

Perhaps their are some organizations that are acting as a hub to collect vaccines from various donor countries and have them distributed world wide.  One way or another it is totally impractical for the countries of this world to work out separate arrangements to service specific groups of expatriates in every corner of the globe. 

The best countries could do is work out some sort of arrangement with the vaccine companies to work out designated shipments to various companies with those shipments being ear marked for specific expatriate groups.   How well that would work, I have my doubts. You currently have a commodity with high demand and high value.  I suspect that any shipment going to such countries as Angola, Tanzania, Guana, Thailand, Laos, Burma and many others would have a significant likelihood of being diverted either by the workers handling the shipment from arrival to delivery or from government officials who would find a way that the shipment is lost in transit.   As mentioned, even in a territory of the USA, Puerto Rico, government aid in the form of supplies such as food, water, and medicines never made it past the docks before they were grabbed by those in charge and sold on the black market.  I have no doubt that would be replayed around the world. 

Transporting the vaccine certainly wouldn't happen in one go, nor would giving the shots. Thailand would oniy be one of a hundred or so recipients.

If you look in to blockchain (try wiki), it would help this discussion.

Please stop confusing the expatriate vaccination problem with this call for the US to be more effective. 

1 minute ago, placnx said:

Please stop confusing the expatriate vaccination problem with this call for the US to be more effective. 

Perhaps you forgot the original post  It does not say, where in the world are you USA when the world needs you.  Secondly, why is it that there is always the presumption the the USA has to be the one bringing in the cavalry to save the world from every event.  Lest I remind you that the disease originated in China and possibly from a leak in a lab.  Even if it occurred in nature it was the Chinese who knowing there was a virus that was yet undetermined.  They diligently stopped all travel from Wuhan to other parts of China while they allowed international flights around the globe.  If anyone ought to open up their wallet and resources to come to rescue the world it should be them.  

I have no interest in looking up Block Chain.  As stated if you want vaccines quickly, license them, all of that is worthless if the regions of the world are not prepared to accept, transport them, and most importantly the hospitals/clinics prepared for the queue of people.   If the vaccine companies can lets say ship 1 million doses of vaccine to Thailand and 1 million people per week is the maximum the health care network in Thailand can inoculate, it does zero good to have a manufacturing facility ramp up capable of sending Thailand 10 million doses.  

US Embassy - where are you when I need you?

9 minutes ago, placnx said:

Transporting the vaccine certainly wouldn't happen in one go, nor would giving the shots. Thailand would oniy be one of a hundred or so recipients.

If you look in to blockchain (try wiki), it would help this discussion.

The US developed three vaccines in a year and now had about half the population vaccinated. 

• Like 1