Anyone obtained pink ID card recently?

With the exception of being required for the the MorProm app for vaccination registration (which has turned out to be a real debacle) I've never understood why anyone would even want a Pink Card, especially if you have a Thai drivers license.  It just seems like a waste to even have one, except maybe as a souvenir of your time in Thailand.

Edited by WaveHunter

9 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The Pink card has restrictions on them so that's why I'm not interested in it. Useful for hill tribe people especially in the provinces that have a border with another country. Your passport will do, and mostly your driver's license as well.

The pink card was originally intended for those you mention.  It was extended to all foreigners later but the restrictions you mention were never removed from the back of the card.  However, I have never heard of them being enforced.  They are basically ignored, at least for expats.  Nobody needs a pink ID card, but some find it useful for some purposes.  A passport and driver's license are necessary, but the passport doesn't fit well in most wallets. ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

With the exception of being required for the the MorProm app for vaccination registration (which has turned out to be a real debacle) I've never understood why anyone would even want a Pink Card, especially if you have a Thai drivers license.  It just seems like a waste to even have one, except maybe as a souvenir of your time in Thailand.

In the process of acquiring one at the moment.......... I have no idea why, other than the wife insists........it has take me a longtime to learn, but I know life will be much easier if I just get one and don't even query why I have to have one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The pink card was originally intended for those you mention.  It was extended to all foreigners later but the restrictions you mention were never removed from the back of the card.  However, I have never heard of them being enforced.  They are basically ignored, at least for expats.  Nobody needs a pink ID card, but some find it useful for some purposes.  A passport and driver's license are necessary, but the passport doesn't fit well in most wallets. ????

Correct I recently got a ID card from my own country issued by my embassy, the first one that ever fitted in my wallet ???? (credit card sized). 

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Getting a Thai Drivers license (as a expat) is far easier than getting a Pink Card IMO, and of course a drivers license fits in your wallet, and it has almost eliminated my need to use my passport at places like my bank, post office, medical services, etc.  That's why I just don't understand why an expat would find a Pink card useful.

36 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The Pink card has restrictions on them so that's why I'm not interested in it. Useful for hill tribe people especially in the provinces that have a border with another country. Your passport will do, and mostly your driver's license as well.

If i had not got a pink card i would not have got my AZjab free at a private hospital,6 days ago .

Also our son used it to register at a govt heart hospital when i was admitted, my charges were very low as are the cost of my meds now, so glad my wife persuaded me to get one.

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Getting a Thai Drivers license (as a expat) is far easier than getting a Pink Card IMO, and of course a drivers license fits in your wallet, and it has almost eliminated my need to use my passport at places like my bank, post office, medical services, etc.  That's why I just don't understand why an expat would find a Pink card useful.

First, can we agree that it's not harmful to have the pink card?

Second, it's never a bad thing to have extra identification. 

I've made this argument with regards to the US passport card, a photo ID issued by the US government, but only really useful for US citizens to travel from the US to Canada/Mexico/some places in the Caribbean.  However, it has been extremely useful to have on a number of occasions.   Bizarre as it may sound there are times, almost always when dealing with the US government or business based in the US, when they want two-forms of photo ID.  I've used this otherwise useless card several times.  My point is that even though you cannot anticipate why in the world you would ever need this sort of extra ID it can and does come in very handy to have it.

Although I haven't tried it, I'll bet it might help in opening a bank account.  It's just a small indication that you're not a here-today-gone-tomorrow applicant.  I'm not saying it's required.  I am saying it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Correct I recently got a ID card from my own country issued by my embassy, the first one that ever fitted in my wallet ???? (credit card sized). 

Cool.  US citizens can get a US passport card, but the number on the card is totally different than the passport number on one's US passport book.  Is the ID number of your country's card the same or different than the one on the passport?  Just curious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

First, can we agree that it's not harmful to have the pink card?

Second, it's never a bad thing to have extra identification. 

I've made this argument with regards to the US passport card, a photo ID issued by the US government, but only really useful for US citizens to travel from the US to Canada/Mexico/some places in the Caribbean.  However, it has been extremely useful to have on a number of occasions.   Bizarre as it may sound there are times, almost always when dealing with the US government or business based in the US, when they want two-forms of photo ID.  I've used this otherwise useless card several times.  My point is that even though you cannot anticipate why in the world you would ever need this sort of extra ID it can and does come in very handy to have it.

Although I haven't tried it, I'll bet it might help in opening a bank account.  It's just a small indication that you're not a here-today-gone-tomorrow applicant.  I'm not saying it's required.  I am saying it helps.

...but a Thai drivers license does all those things just fine. I have used it often in lieu of carrying around my passport.  I use it at the bank, at the post office, at medical services like the hospital, doctor's office, or at the dentist, and many other places where a photo id is required.

I have never been asked for two forms of photo ID here in Thailand, and if I were asked I always have a photocopy of my passport in my wallet.

Getting a Thai drivers license as an expat is remarkably easy.  Whereas getting a Pink card is far more difficult, especially if you don't already have a ta bian ban.

As for opening a Thai bank account, I was able to do it even before I got a Thai driver's license.

So, what are the practical advantages for an expat to have a Pink Card over a Thai Driver's license?  None that I can really think of really.  Having one is just not worth the effort, unless you just want a good souvenir of your stay in Thailand.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

...but a Thai drivers license does all those things just fine. I have used it often in lieu of carrying around my passport.  I use it at the bank, at the post office, at medical services like the hospital, doctor's office, or at the dentist, and many other places where a photo id is required.

I have never been asked for two forms of photo ID here in Thailand, and if I were asked I always have a photocopy of my passport in my wallet.

Getting a Thai drivers license as an expat is remarkably easy.  Whereas getting a Pink card is far more difficult, especially if you don't already have a ta bian ban.

As for opening a Thai bank account, I was able to do it even before I got a Thai driver's license.

So, what are the practical advantages for an expat to have a Pink Card over a Thai Driver's license?  None that I can really think of really.  Having one is just not worth the effort, unless you just want a good souvenir of your stay in Thailand.

A Thai driver's license is great.  I have one, and recommend that anyone who drives in Thailand should too.  If you don't drive I'm not sure you can get just a photo ID from the Land Transport office (as in a similar way you can get a photo ID from Departments of Motor Vehicles in the States, basically same as a driver's license but without driving privileges).

For some getting a yellow book and pink ID card can be very hard.  It's probably true that it's harder to get than a driver's license.  My recommendation for those people is not to get one.

If you can get a pink ID card, I say get one.  You can't possibly imagine the circumstances in which it will be beneficial to have one.  When those circumstances arise you will either be glad you have it or sorry you don't.  Up to you.

I'm not saying a pink ID card is essential to living life in Thailand.  I'm saying it's nice to have.  I'm saying it could be valuable to have in certain circumstances.  Unfortunately, when those circumstances occur it's not likely that a pink ID card will come floating down from the heavens. ????

I too got a bank account without having a pink ID card, yellow book, or a Thai driver's license.  Eight years ago.  Things change.  The fact that I got a bank account eight years ago without having much more than my passport is probably not too comforting to someone who is having trouble opening a bank account today.

Again, no one is harmed by someone having a pink ID card.  It's always good to have ID when you need it.  The fact that you don't need it today is no guarantee you won't need it for something tomorrow.  Fortune favors the prepared. 

Also, if you never lose anything then no reason in the world for you to have an alternate because you will never need it.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You need photo ID at the dentist ??? come on, you are stretching it !!! 

My Banks (SCB and Bangkok Bank) in Branches in Bangkok have never accepted accepted my Thai Drivers licence, before I had my Pink ID I have to go back home and get my passport, or come back the next day remembering my passport - the Pink ID removes this hassle. 

Agreed...

Getting the Thai Drivers license (at DLT Area 3 in BKK) requires proof of address. I can’t get the Letter of Residence from Immigration (as I never do the 90 day report, not here long enough each time), I don’t want to pay 2500 baht for an Affirmation of Residence from the Embassy.... I used my Pink ID (saved 5000 baht so far).

I opened my SCB account 20 years ago (with a company letter). I opened a BKK Bank account with a Pink ID (and Yellow Tabien Baan) last year. 

Try opening another now (without a work Permit) Pink ID resolves all that hassle. 

Booked a vaccine lately ?

Ask anyone who has the Pink ID if it has been worth the effort - most will say it has been. 

It is definitely worth the effort for me. A pink ID is not a necessity, but neither is having your own transport, neither is having a credit card etc...  its very easy to get by without one. But, carrying around the pink ID adds an additional element of convenience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You need photo ID at the dentist ??? come on, you are stretching it !!! 

My Banks (SCB and Bangkok Bank) in Branches in Bangkok have never accepted accepted my Thai Drivers licence, before I had my Pink ID I have to go back home and get my passport, or come back the next day remembering my passport - the Pink ID removes this hassle. 

Agreed...

Getting the Thai Drivers license (at DLT Area 3 in BKK) requires proof of address. I can’t get the Letter of Residence from Immigration (as I never do the 90 day report, not here long enough each time), I don’t want to pay 2500 baht for an Affirmation of Residence from the Embassy.... I used my Pink ID (saved 5000 baht so far).

I opened my SCB account 20 years ago (with a company letter). I opened a BKK Bank account with a Pink ID (and Yellow Tabien Baan) last year. 

Try opening another now (without a work Permit) Pink ID resolves all that hassle. 

Booked a vaccine lately ?

Ask anyone who has the Pink ID if it has been worth the effort - most will say it has been. 

It is definitely worth the effort for me. A pink ID is not a necessity, but neither is having your own transport, neither is having a credit card etc...  its very easy to get by without one. But, carrying around the pink ID adds an additional element of convenience.

I listed "dentist" because I was asked for my passport but they accepted my Thai drivers license in lieu of it.  A passport is also required at hospitals and doctor's offices, which a will both accept a Thai Driver's license.

As for bank accounts, I secured mine on a tourist visa with no other ID except my passport the first week I was in Thailand.

Most people do not realize that Bank requirements vary from one bank to another, and sometimes even one branch to another of the same bank.  In my case I applied to Bangkok Bank at one location and was denied.  I walked into another nearby branch and the officer cheerfully opened an account for me with only my passport.

As for needing it to book a vaccine, that was only for the MorProm app, which the CCSA has made clear is NOT even intended for foreigners, and foreigners can no longer use that app for registration.

The consensus on the usefulness of a Pink card by foreigners as seen on many threads on TVF, as well as on many sites you can find through Google search are that a Pink Card has minimal value for most foreigners, and really no value if you already have a Thai drivers licence.

Getting a driver's license for most expats is remarkably easy.  Most expats do 90 day registration so they have easy access to the Imm papers that are necessary.  Getting a Pink Card requires a ta bian ban, which expats who rent (which is the majority of expats) do not have.

The Pink card may be of value to a few expats with unusual needs, but for most expats it has very little value at all.

Edited by WaveHunter

23 minutes ago, skatewash said:

A Thai driver's license is great.  I have one, and recommend that anyone who drives in Thailand should too.  If you don't drive I'm not sure you can get just a photo ID from the Land Transport office (as in a similar way you can get a photo ID from Departments of Motor Vehicles in the States, basically same as a driver's license but without driving privileges).

Wow! Many thanks for this. I have a UK driving licence but no wish to drive in Thailand. Yellow book is very difficult for me to obtain so next time the Mrs goes to Land Transport Office we will ask if it's possible to issue a photo ID card without the driving licence part? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Wow! Many thanks for this. I have a UK driving licence but no wish to drive in Thailand. Yellow book is very difficult for me to obtain so next time the Mrs goes to Land Transport Office we will ask if it's possible to issue a photo ID card without the driving licence part? 

Actually, if you have a current UK driving license you should be able to obtain a Thai Driving License only by showing your UK driving license, watching a video, taking a couple tests like recognizing colors on a traffic light, being able to stop a car simulator within a certain time (reaction time test).   You would not have to take the written test or the practical driving test. The cost is very minimal.  And the thing is you never have to use it to drive if you don't want to, you can just use it as a photo ID.

It would be nice if there was just a photo ID that could be obtained from LTO.  Let us know if you find out.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Actually, if you have a current UK driving license you should be able to obtain a Thai Driving License only by showing your UK driving license, watching a video, taking a couple tests like recognizing colors on a traffic light, being able to stop a car simulator within a certain time (reaction time test).   You would not have to take the written test or the practical driving test. The cost is very minimal.  And the thing is you never have to use it to drive if you don't want to, you can just use it as a photo ID.

It would be nice if there was just a photo ID that could be obtained from LTO.  Let us know if you find out.

Thanks and will do!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Even if you do not drive regularly, the Thai driver's license is remarkably easy to get, really not any more difficult than getting a Thai ID card really.

If you already have a foreign licence, getting a Thai drivers license is remarkably easy.  There is no road test involved, only a few practical tests like checking your vision and coordination.  I can't even remember there was a written test. 

The paperwork you need to bring with you is no more extensive than what you'd need for the ID...so if I were you, I'd just get the licence.

What's more, you should be aware that after a certain number of months (forget exactly how many), a foreign license or even an international driver's license is invalid in Thailand.  If you have a need to rent a car, or if you get pulled over without a valid Thai license you could have some problems.

Thanks. Good idea!

7 hours ago, skatewash said:

Cool.  US citizens can get a US passport card, but the number on the card is totally different than the passport number on one's US passport book.  Is the ID number of your country's card the same or different than the one on the passport?  Just curious.

No, they are not the same but it has my registration number that was issued to me when I was born. Don't know the name in English. 

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

If i had not got a pink card i would not have got my AZjab free at a private hospital,6 days ago .

Also our son used it to register at a govt heart hospital when i was admitted, my charges were very low as are the cost of my meds now, so glad my wife persuaded me to get one.

I have my yellow tabien baan and work permit, so I'm in the social security system (pakan sakhom)

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I also find the Thai driver's license useful ... but the Pink ID has come in handy for me, where the Driver's License did not suffice.

A few months back, my Thai wife and I decided on the spur of the moment, to check into a hotel.  But since it was spur of the moment, I did not have my passport with me. The Hotel would NOT accept the Driver's license, but they DID accept the Pink ID. ... < go figure > ....

A month back I was in the bank doing some banking - unlike you, the bank did not accept my driver's license.  They did accept my pink-ID.

My suspicion is everyone will have different experience here - as many Thai institutes don't know quite what to make of the pink-Thai ID.  

My experience is that if one has already a Yellow Book (and possibly also Thai language translations of one's passport - although that may only be needed for some provinces) then obtaining the Pink-ID can be quick.  

I know the pink-ID has saved me time - but for others it may well be not worth the effort to get.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I also find the Thai driver's license useful ... but the Pink ID has come in handy for me, where the Driver's License did not suffice.

A few months back, my Thai wife and I decided on the spur of the moment, to check into a hotel.  But since it was spur of the moment, I did not have my passport with me. The Hotel would NOT accept the Driver's license, but they DID accept the Pink ID. ... < go figure > ....

A month back I was in the bank doing some banking - unlike you, the bank did not accept my driver's license.  They did accept my pink-ID.

My suspicion is everyone will have different experience here - as many Thai institutes don't know quite what to make of the pink-Thai ID.  

My experience is that if one has already a Yellow Book (and possibly also Thai language translations of one's passport - although that may only be needed for some provinces) then obtaining the Pink-ID can be quick.  

I know the pink-ID has saved me time - but for others it may well be not worth the effort to get.

If one has a Yellow book, then I agree that it's probably pretty easy to get a Pink card, but without one, it is ridiculously difficult to do, and just not worth the effort for most expats.

Edited by WaveHunter

2 hours ago, MAF666 said:

I have a yellow house book and got a pink ID last month in Chanthaburi. Took 15  minutes and was free.

My pink ID card was 60 baht, the official fee. My blue one was free. Maybe the person was colour blind!