Beer Drinkers - Cans or Bottles??

EVENKEEL

I would always normally drink bottles rather than cans. Bottles generally have shorter shelf life as a lot less chemicals. Cans have a lot more chemicals to preserve for a long time. Similar amount of beer in bottles and cans - bottles, feel fine, cans easily get hangover.

1 hour ago, George Aylesham said:

I agree and have always found bottled beer tastes better - but in the interest of the environment, why oh why isn't there a deposit on beer bottles?

There's usually a man in an old pickup who drives round buying plastic bottles and beer bottles. We usually get about 8-10baht per box of 12 beers. Without the box the price is lower.

• Like 1

Cans++.

In LOS I've rarely drank a bottle of beer that tastes the same as the last one, Thai brewers' QC is appalling. Especially Chang, I bought a couple of cases of that Cold Brew a while back, the good bottles tasted great but at least five out of the dozen were either skunked, flat or tasted more like sherry than beer.

• Sad 1

A couple of weeks back I bought a couple of bottles from the local shop in the soi, mainly because I had forgot to go to makro they were off I went one whole day without drinking a beer, and her ice is off also I was wondering why I kept getting a bad gut's

I buy cans if I have to carry the beer far and care about weight (hike , bike, ..) or at swimming pool / boat / anywhere that broken glass can cause a problem.  Otherwise, I buy big bottles so I can get more p**s for my THB.  Cans are also very easy to dispose of.  There's always someone walking around collecting aluminum that they can carry (not heavy) and sell to the recyclers.  One off bottles here and there are not as easy to dispose of as cans.  If I have a full 12 box of empty bottles, I usually trade it for ice at the local shop.  I've heard that they sell the boxes of empties for 10฿ to a recycler.    All that said, I don't notice a difference in taste.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

If your beer was 'ice cold' would it not be solid in the can?

Beer freezes colder than water. I quite like my beer cans out of the freezer with a few crystals of ice forming.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alien365 said:

There's usually a man in an old pickup who drives round buying plastic bottles and beer bottles. We usually get about 8-10baht per box of 12 beers. Without the box the price is lower.

Young 11 yr old takes mine, bit of pocket money for her, delivers my 20lt bottles of water too, 2b profit for her.

I dont mind cans or bottles. However if it is cans it has to be big cans. The small cans are pathetic, a couple of gulps and its gone and your up again and off to the fridge.

At least a big can lasts more than 5 mins, sometimes.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, DaLa said:

I don't drink from the bottle; too macho for me. However I have occasionally drank from a can and agree that there is a metallic 'tinge' to it. So cans are a no no. 

I've recently acquired one of these which has been quite useful recently under prohibition. Firstly it keeps the drink colder for longer; Ive had ice not melt for 1 hour in it and as a side effect you don't get half a litre of condensation running down the outside saturating your table.  I'll keep using it once we ( if ever) return to normality as I'm suspicious of the cleanliness of  some bars.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 10.09.15.png

I read your post and though 'interesting'. So I gave it a go.

Very dangerous.

I drank the beer almost twice as quick!

Yes - it stays cold. Tick

Yes - no condensation. Tick

But drinking beer like it is water - expensive and fall over??? ????

Maybe I will give it another go tonight.  ????????

and then there is the practical problems one may encounter when indecisive... and randomnly swaps between: can bottle can can bottle...  (hereinafter focusing on the 'stubby' bottle)

- after a habitual bout of Bottle Bottle Bottle drinking, that first up next return to the Can can easily end up being worn all over ones shirt front ????   (ones chin needs eyes for guiding the L:EM back to the Command Module)

Gentlemen always decant, even into a plastic cup.

Part of a beers flavour profile is only relaeased in a pour.

Bottles are for infants, and cans are for melting into medals and wish-wings for the crew cut flour exporting experts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tifino said:

and then there is the practical problems one may encounter when indecisive... and randomnly swaps between: can bottle can can bottle...  (hereinafter focusing on the 'stubby' bottle)

- after a habitual bout of Bottle Bottle Bottle drinking, that first up next return to the Can can easily end up being worn all over ones shirt front ????   (ones chin needs eyes for guiding the L:EM back to the Command Module)

Hate the thought of it but maybe you need to use a straw. ????

25 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Gentlemen always decant, even into a plastic cup.

Part of a beers flavour profile is only relaeased in a pour.

Bottles are for infants, and cans are for melting into medals and wish-wings for the crew cut flour exporting experts.

ah! - the concept, of the 'Beer Tarik' ????     likewise theory applicable to Kopi 

All this talk of beer in a glass/jug or plastic cup. What about wine , if going to a mates with a bottle of Red I ask first if the wife has broken all the wine glasses , if so I will bring a box .

Wine should be drunk from a wine glass not a plastic cup. I know what I am talking about as just had 2 glasses of Red . If 'er indoors had broken my 7 wine glasses I would leave the drinking 'til tomorrow after buying more glasses.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:26 AM, amdy2206 said:

I would always normally drink bottles rather than cans. Bottles generally have shorter shelf life as a lot less chemicals. Cans have a lot more chemicals to preserve for a long time. Similar amount of beer in bottles and cans - bottles, feel fine, cans easily get hangover.

Canned beer does not contain more "chemicals" than bottled beer. Canned beer will last far longer than most bottled beer because UV light cannot cause catalytic changes.