how to stop snakes coming in the gate area

seajae

On 6/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

An 18 inch high wall will not stop  any snack of some length.  I have   170cms high fences on  side and back walls,  , across the  front,  about 20 inches high, with..   wrought iron   fencing on top,.Ive had snakes come over the front  wall several times, as well as under the  sliding gate. Luckily, my two dogs   gang up  and kill them,  though  I   had to deal with a small cobra before the dogs got near it.

Mmmm. Long snack...

On 6/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

How?   Do they carry a sign or something?

Because you looked online for venomous snacks in your area, e.g., "venomous snacks udon thani." Use your street name for even better results. In fact, by using your address, you could find out if there are any venomous snacks at your house right now.

• Confused 2

On 6/22/2021 at 6:52 AM, simon43 said:

If I had a tiger in my garden, then I'd stay indoors.  But snakes don't 'hunt' humans.  It's better to understand animals, rather than kill them out of ignorance.

I've lived around cobras for almost 20 years, never had a problem with them and don't expect to have a problem, so long as I give them fair warning (through vibrations), that I'm coming their way ????

That's nice, but people are of course uneasy about the path to "understanding" animals that can kill you. They (the people) sense quite rightly that learning by regrettable error is not ideal. They know it's not feasible to ask the snake what constitutes "fair warning" that we are coming, etc. So it's a bit condescending to label that kind of concern as ignorance.

On 6/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, phetphet said:

Do you have vertical expansion joints in your walls? I have seen snakes slither up them and climb up a 10 foot wall.

Rather like a rock climber ascending a chimney.

Another example below.

image.png.22adc0ef9a468bded0ee0fb811fd6c74.png

Wow that's cool!

It's quite venomous eh? Is that a coral snake??

On 6/20/2021 at 2:22 PM, farmerjo said:

The OP asked for idea's so i gave him one.

And it does stop the bigger snakes,smaller tree snakes i'm not worried about.

Had a golden tree snake drop in my lap on a remote island in south. About had a heart attack.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Wow that's cool!

It's quite venomous eh? Is that a coral snake??

Don't know. Just used the picture as an example of how well snakes can climb.

The one i saw was a mildly venomous whip snake. Eats small gekkos and lizards. It sort of jammed its's sides against the sides of the expansion joint (in a wavy pattern) and just climbed the wall.

• Thanks 1

I have found several cobras in my garden 7-920210622_183359.thumb.jpg.ab86fc6b5eefa6c928918e70f0140ce7.jpg years ago. They were always near dead frogs and near holes. I filled and continue to fill all holes in garden or at the edge of the building. I have blocked all holes under my sliding car gate from both sides and park cars outside my fence. I made sure that under the personal walk-in gate the gap is less than 0.3cm to the ground. I have walls around my garden at all sides. I put some mothballs around garden where my 2 dogs can not get too. I have found 5 yr ago a brown snake dead, near the mothball location and the mothball was gone. Probably thought it was an egg, swallowed it and died. I keep grass short, no bushes to hide, only trees. There are no cracks, cuts, edges, holes on my walls where a cobra would be able to climb. All outside doors, storage door have less than 0.3cm clearance above the ground. 

I don't see any cobras in my garden the last 6 years. The neighbors have found some in their garden. 

I have many frogs and small lizards in my garden, sometimes I see field mouse/rats, which is an indication that not much snake activity exists. I don't leave any food outside. I see regularly the green/yellow tree snake which can go up on any wall or tree, but they are not poisonous and are harmless, mostly eat bird eggs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Sulfuric doing the trick since many years. Snakes dont cross sulfuric line. Put it at your wall and entry and your garden will be snake free.

At supercheap 2kg about 50 baht.

Are you comparing snakes to vampires?? ????????????

• Confused 1

It's a bit of a process but it has a proven track record..

1     Sit down and have two Guinness's while you ponder the path forward.

2     Put on your bright emerald green jacket.  (That Augusta National Winners jacket in your closet is quite suitable)

3     Practise waving your Shillelagh about quite actively.

Have one more Guinness Have another Guinness if you actually had a Shillelagh about

4     Walk around the garden intoning an ancient Celtic curse of Banishment while continuing to wield the Shillelagh in an            aggressive manner.

Have two more Guinness. ... it's thirsty work

5     Now, a big finish with a Christian prayer of exorcism as you force the reptiles to abandon the garden under threat

from the Shillelagh

Definitely one more Guinness to ease the pain of a parched throat..

This might seem a bit of a bother and far fetched, but it worked a marvel for the Irish.  There hasn't been a serpent there for twelve hundred years.

You know I do believe that there's just a tech of Guinness about and it would be a shameful thing not to use all the ingredients of such a marvelous curse.

In the name of the Lord me son -------------- Finish the Guinness!

Edited by ourdon
  • Haha 1