how to stop snakes coming in the gate area

seajae

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

If the snake is determined to get you, there are only a couple of things you could do.

One is get a mongoose as a pet. Best to get one as a baby and train it not to bite yer legs.

And secondly; get a snake that eats other snakes, but will not harm humans. There is one in the US called a 'king brown' or something.

The king brown snake in OZ is the most deadly of all snakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

The king brown snake in OZ is the most deadly of all snakes.

Thanks for that BTN.

The one in the US is OK. Must be just the Ozzie one that is poisonous.

That's what happens when one area is isolated for millions of years.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:05 PM, heist said:

There aren't many venomous snakes in Thailand and it's not common to encounter them. 

Which Thailand is this?  I have encountered many and suspect most living outside cities have.

Thailand has approximately 60 snake species that are considered venomous and potentially dangerous to human beings. Thirty of them are on land, and deadly.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/common-thailand-venomous-snakes-photos-videos-links/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, they're the worst, I hate those venimeeces to pieces.

Any suggestions re venomous snakes?

Typical Liverpool comedian.....Sh^te..

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, farmerjo said:
2 hours ago, seajae said:

thanks everyone, given me something to think about

I picked up a roll of 150 mm rubber at global house.

I hate to tell you but they will just go through those slats no problem.  Can probably crawl under the rubber strip anyway.

As mentioned before keep your yard clear and try to not have food for them in the yard.

29 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I would concur with most of the info in your post, with the exception of your statement "There aren't many venomous snakes in Thailand and it's not common to encounter them".

FYI....  There are in fact over 230 different species of snakes that are found in Thailand according to the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok which produces anti venom serum from it's snake farm in Bangkok.  Of these, some 40 species are considered to be highly dangerous because of the toxicity of their venom.   Whilst the rest are often deemed to me non-venomous, many do in fact have venom which is only mildly toxic to humans.  

Oh yeah I can't disagree with that I'm just comparing the types of snakes I catch here vs the ones I used to catch in Australia. Thanks for the correction and good informatin. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rwill said:

I hate to tell you but they will just go through those slats no problem.  Can probably crawl under the rubber strip anyway.

As mentioned before keep your yard clear and try to not have food for them in the yard.

The OP asked for idea's so i gave him one.

And it does stop the bigger snakes,smaller tree snakes i'm not worried about.

• Thanks 1

You don't say what type of snakes are coming in. I had many cobra's coming to my place and what I did was never give my poodle a hair cut. When the snakes tried to bite him they could never get through his fur he was like a sheep and he killed many.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

You go online and Google Thai snakes, take a bit time to study

the venimouse ones, there are not that many, easy to recognize

a Pit Viper , its head, a Krait , its triangular shape and bands, Cobras

colour ,hood, that's the main ones, better than killing harmless snakes

just because they come into your space,.the most dangerous one is

the trouser snake it can get you into all kinds of trouble ????

regards worgeordie

Good website with pictures and info each snake 

Malayan Pit Viper - Venomous - Very Dangerous | Thailand Snakes

• Like 2

Why kill venomous snakes?  When I lived in north Phuket, I had many cobra snakes in my garden (actually a rubber tree plantation).  I made sure that I walked heavily in the grass, and gave a little time for the snakes to get out of my way.  I never had a problem with them ????

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, jak2002003 said:

Snakes can easily climb your concrete walls. 

You won't keep them out.  

As another poster said, just keep the garden grass cut short and have no hiding places for the snakes. They won't feel safe and will leave. 

If you see one just leave it alone. It will go away quickly. 

Most snake bites happen when people are trying to kill or catch the snake..

I totally agree with all the things that this poster as said, but will say that making a lot of noise like banging a tin can Etc, when you see one will usually make them move off in rapid fashion.

A Cobra will stand its ground so be careful.

Another thing my Missus swears by is Lemon Grass.

Plant the stuff around your Garden, Snakes hate it apparently

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

I would concur with most of the info in your post, with the exception of your statement "There aren't many venomous snakes in Thailand and it's not common to encounter them".

FYI....  There are in fact over 230 different species of snakes that are found in Thailand according to the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok which produces anti venom serum from it's snake farm in Bangkok.  Of these, some 40 species are considered to be highly dangerous because of the toxicity of their venom.   Whilst the rest are often deemed to me non-venomous, many do in fact have venom which is only mildly toxic to humans.  

According to the Red Cross (Thailand) some 7,000 plus people required anti venom treatment during 2019.   The most prolific and dangerous snake which can be found throughout Thailand is the monocled cobra and it account for most of the  recorded snake bites in Thailand.  The monocled cobra can grow to 2 meters long and is a fast mover and can be very aggressive when disturbed.

My wife and I live on the Western outskirts of Bangkok in a semi urban environment and we regularly encounter snakes around the outside of our house, the latest being a 1 meter monocled cobra just last week.   Having attended a training course at the Red Cross snake farm in Bangkok, I am able to safely catch these 'monsters' and re-home them away from human habitation.   I've attached below a photo of a baby cobra which was outside my front door a couple of years ago.  It's only about 30 cm long but is 'fully loaded' with enough venom to stop an elephant.

933434435_Babycobra001.jpg.35e260fbea42eb1f70c1957fb8e75764.jpg

I once encountered one of the " Baby " Cobra about the same length.

Boy ! have they got attitude.

This one would not back down and make a run for it, and just kept striking my special long handled brush ( 4 M long )that I keep for this purpose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 007 RED said:

According to the Red Cross (Thailand) some 7,000 plus people required anti venom treatment during 2019.   The most prolific and dangerous snake which can be found throughout Thailand is the monocled cobra and it account for most of the  recorded snake bites in Thailand.  The monocled cobra can grow to 2 meters long and is a fast mover and can be very aggressive when disturbed.

My wife and I live on the Western outskirts of Bangkok in a semi urban environment and we regularly encounter snakes around the outside of our house, the latest being a 1 meter monocled cobra just last week.   Having attended a training course at the Red Cross snake farm in Bangkok, I am able to safely catch these 'monsters' and re-home them away from human habitation.   I've attached below a photo of a baby cobra which was outside my front door a couple of years ago.  It's only about 30 cm long but is 'fully loaded' with enough venom to stop an elephant.

933434435_Babycobra001.jpg.35e260fbea42eb1f70c1957fb8e75764.jpg

Yes indeed , one of these bit my mil 2 years ago and she was in hospital for 3 weeks , nearly lost lower part of leg . Baby cobras give all their venom when biting as they cannot control the venom flow unlike an adult cobra .

• Like 2

I hear mongooses are super snake killers. There is a native species in Thailand. Maybe you can get some small pups somewhere and raise them as pets? They can be domesticated I believe. Chatuchak Markets pet section would be a place to go and ask.

I wonder about this snake thing too as I like you have lots of jungle around and a plantation bordering the estate my home is in. I have 7 foot walls, but a gate and garage they can enter and then get into the garden and possibly the house from there.

I have two Siamese cats, who like all Siamese are quite vocal when they want to be. On one occasion at the beginning of the wet season they spied a small python in the yard and made a hell of a racket and attacked it which brought the dog who is smart and stayed clear barking and ran to get me (he's a very smart Dalmation ????). 

I practice scorpion and spider safety - learnt in Aussie. I've lived in Aussie with the world's deadliest snakes by far and in locations where there are a lot of them e.g Cairns, Kununurra, Port Hedland and so far I've never had a bite.

No shoes, bags, boxes, rubbish etc on ground anywhere (as advised by other responses). I always use tools when working in the garden and never blindly begin pruning or thrust my hand into the undergrowth.

I make a bit of banging noise when going into garage and grabbing stuff of shelves. I practice watchfulness and try to think to look before I just barge anywhere.

I never, never leave the car open (vent's included) for a second!

I've seen poisonous green vipers outside my place in the larger estate area, on the roadways and sides of the roads ... they are nasty suckers. Seen a lot more snakes at night now as there are so few people about.

Not seen a Malay vipers as yet (don't assume they aren't there as they are so well camo'ed and are ambush predators), a couple of BIG cobras and a few brightly striped small snakes (Krait?).

I heard of a flalang in Surin got bit a few weeks back when he stood off the edge of the back soi near the restaurant in the dark - taking a <deleted> after a meal and beers.

You don’t - unless you switch to a gate that comes out of the ground and hermetically seals around the edges and increase the height of the fence dramatically and make it so slippery that a snake can’t get a hold on it and all the trees and bushes around the fence are far enough away that the snake can’t get onto the fence via branches.

Having said that, snakes don’t want anything to do with us or your pets and they normally rather flee than attack. So, as long as you pay attention, especially at night, where you place your feet you should be fine. 

Edited by pacovl46

My Parsons Jack Russell has killed around 100 snakes including spitting cobras and kraits. I bought him from a breeder in Chiang mai 10 years ago. He is a fantastic companion. The Parsons Jack Russells are absolutely amazing dogs. He is absolutely fearless and very, very quick.

received_558732927574411.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You go online and Google Thai snakes, take a bit time to study

the venimouse ones, there are not that many, easy to recognize

a Pit Viper , its head, a Krait , its triangular shape and bands, Cobras

colour ,hood, that's the main ones, better than killing harmless snakes

just because they come into your space,.the most dangerous one is

the trouser snake it can get you into all kinds of trouble ????

regards worgeordie

You got that one right!

• Thanks 1