Pattaya: Let us reopen and serve alcohol again, entertainment industry leader echoes calls for reopening

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

The head of the Pattaya Entertainment and Tourism association has appealed to the government to reopen the resort saying there was no Covid there.

Damrongkiat Phinitkan threw his support behind wider moves made with the presentation of a letter by Democrat Party deputy leader Prin Phanichphak to house leader Chuan Leekpai earlier. 

Damrongkiat said that operators in Pattaya had been suffering for 200 days and with no Covid-19 cases there it was time to reopen the industry, allow alcohol to be served again.

He stressed that it needed to be a step by step approach following all the guidelines but that Pattaya was ready to do that if it meant getting some income again.

9pm1.jpg

Even if it was just Thai tourists.

He recognised that areas where Covid was still prevalent needed to wait as the entertainment industry could still result in clusters of infection, reported Manager

But that was not Pattaya. 

Pattaya is slated for reopening to foreign tourists from about August but how many turn up is a matter of conjecture, notes Thaivisa. 

9pm2.jpg

Even if they do their movements will be restricted by "sealed route" rules. 

So for now operators of bars and clubs would have to make do with Thai tourists.

Some would decide that would not be sufficient and would continue to remain shut, notes Thaivisa. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-19

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't wish to be a killjoy but wasn't there rumour recently of Covid in some soi 6 bars?

This mornings report for  Chonburi had one case from a livestream bar in banglamung.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/19/chonburi-announces-145-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-mostly-at-migrant-worker-communities/

22 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I have an idea. Of 3 months' trial period in which Pattaya must ensure 0 alcohol-related accidents, deaths, crime cases, as well as 0 new infections or fatalities from COVID. If they achieve this, they should pretty much be allowed to do anything.

They're screwed then.

• Sad 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, webfact said:

The head of the Pattaya Entertainment and Tourism association has appealed to the government to reopen the resort saying there was no Covid there.

Don't worry, the PM has spoken and in 120 days you will have the freedom to do as you wish.

The borders will be opened as his master plan has demanded and then you will be on your own.

Everyone from a street vendor to a large entertainment venue or mega hotel, will be able to open.

But you may have missed the catch !

You will have the choice to open or remain closed, open and you will have to cover your own costs, supplies/stock/overheads and staff.

There will be no-more lets go halves, no more handouts, no more subsidies, no more government help.

The PM's answer will be "THE BORDERS ARE OPEN"

No tourists... tuff luck, I've done all I can and the borders are open.

You will see more businesses go under in the first six months of the re-opening than you have in the last 18 months of being closed.

He has in a master stroke absolved himself of all future blame when it goes pear-shaped.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skorp13 said:

This is why people don't believe what the media reports. If one person was covid positive in a small confined area where rules are almost certainly flouted then they should all have contracted it. They tell us it is so contagious yet in that environment only one and the others were spared?

The media is lying and the government is lying.  

On 6/21/2021 at 2:58 PM, smiggley said:

You will see more businesses go under in the first six months of the re-opening than you have in the last 18 months of being closed.

I concur.

Much will depend on the Thai landlord ceasing any covid discounts for the rent.

If the consensus between Thai landlords is that when borders are open, covid discounts for rent should end, then for sure even tougher times are ahead for those business owners who have toiled to stay in the game.   

Once borders have opened, the slow trickle of tourists, over 6 to 12 months, will not fund paying full rent, despite a lot of the competition being wiped out.    

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

I concur.

Much will depend on the Thai landlord ceasing any covid discounts for the rent.

If the consensus between Thai landlords is that when borders are open, covid discounts for rent should end, then for sure even tougher times are ahead for those business owners who have toiled to stay in the game.   

Once borders have opened, the slow trickle of tourists, over 6 to 12 months, will not fund paying full rent, despite a lot of the competition being wiped out.    

Yes, I did not give that much thought, but landlords will be dead keen to bump rents back to where they were, and press for any arrears, when bars are open. But the customers won't be there yet! 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I did not give that much thought, but landlords will be dead keen to bump rents back to where they were, and press for any arrears, when bars are open. But the customers won't be there yet! 

I suspect negotiations will be tense.  

If the Thai landlords are not going to be reasonable, it will just cause another round of closures.  

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Plenty of potential  customers.  Jomtien  BR was V busy yesterday 

37 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There's plenty of Thai tourists in Pattaya at weekend, that's maybe why the Covid cases are increasing?

And that's without the bars being open and (officially) no alcohol in restaurants. I guess most of the weekenders are there for the beach and the shopping? 

44 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And that's without the bars being open and (officially) no alcohol in restaurants. I guess most of the weekenders are there for the beach and the shopping? 

Partying, they bring down booze, girls and sounds and rock out for a couple of days in some private villas.

But now restaurants are closed in Bangkok, there'll be an influx to Glasshouse.

• Like 1