Experience?

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You have to be stupid enough

generous enough? caring enough? 

It's only stupid if it is all you've got and/or you expect something in return for giving it... 

it's like giving someone a sweater for Christmas... you can borrow it but it ain't yours anymore... 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not scared, I'm just PO at the damage they are wreaking on the world through their ignorance and faddism.

My Fathers generation (not my Father, I was VERY lucky) said the same thing. I was first aware of it around the mid 60's

18 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

It's only stupid if it is all you've got and/or you expect something in return for giving it... 

I always expect something in return (unless I'm giving to my children).

And even my children, I'd like to take care of me in my old age (so something in return there too).

How many sweaters did you give away without getting a gift in return?

Edited by BritManToo

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many sweaters did you give away without getting a gift in return?

way more than you can probably imagine... I really don't want or need much... 

sometimes the warmth is just in the giving... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I kind of like my wife... I would imagine I am not the only one who likes their wife or who likes my wife or however you want to phrase that... 

I liked my wife too. It was only when she changed to the hag from hell that that changed.

People don't normally marry people they don't like, but people change, and not always for the better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I did not offer an opinion if they are any good or not... or how popular they are to how big an audience... the question posed was are they making any money... and i would guess the ones i mentioned have more than you and I put together... 

If I learned anything in my life it's that money does not buy happiness.

Just making lots of money isn't the way to happiness, and what would most people have- a happy life or loadsacash?

They may be rich, but I don't envy them at all.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I like my Thai woman too.

The great thing about Thai women, they have no claim on your western pension or assets.

You have to be stupid enough to give them a house, they can't take yours from you.

I made every mistake going with my wife, but at least I never bought her the house she wanted me to buy her.

I was quite dumb with her, but I never got that stupid.

I was going to bring her back home to work, and she could have earned a lot picking fruit, but when she told me that she expected to keep everything she earned and wasn't going to help with the rent or food etc I decided that wasn't going to happen. Sometimes she did stick her foot in her yap. Lucky for me I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When ABBA toured Australia they had massive crowds lining the streets from the airport to welcome them. Do you think anyone would wait on the pavement to see Kanye, JayZ, or Beyonce drive by?

I was there in 77. I had liked Abba earlier but my family thought I still did so bought me an Abba bag and tickets. Not bad. Still got the Abba red vinyl bag. As an 11 year old in Australia I had no idea punk was happening when it was actually happening. You are a bit hard on punk. I am more likely now to listen to The Stranglers or new wave stuff than Abba or their ilk. Give it another listen you might be surprised how good and fun some of it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I was there in 77. I had liked Abba earlier but my family thought I still did so bought me an Abba bag and tickets. Not bad. Still got the Abba red vinyl bag. As an 11 year old in Australia I had no idea punk was happening when it was actually happening. You are a bit hard on punk. I am more likely now to listen to The Stranglers or new wave stuff than Abba or their ilk. Give it another listen you might be surprised how good and fun some of it is.

I love the Stranglers song "Always the sun" I would consider them a pop group though with songs like that.

I googled New Wave Music, and while I never knew it was called that, I like most of the songs that came up as New Wave for a long time. Eg Everybody wants to rule the world- love it, but the VDO was <deleted>.

I've always loved a wide range of music from Sinatra and Dean Martin to Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons, Dire Straits, Meatloaf, Tracy Chapman and Michael Jackson etc. Most genres too- classical, pop, folk, rock and roll, jazz etc. I'm more likely to like a genre than dislike, though I will not listen to rap, hip hop, heavy metal, punk or a few other sorts of noise.

BTW, I loved You Little Thief by Feargal Sharkey. I couldn't believe it when someone told me he was in a punk band.

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

OK.  Sound of Music.  That's in colour, now.

I stand corrected.

So for you the high bar of music and movie culture, to which everything since pales in comparison, is a corny movie with kids singing about girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes. Are you sure you are a street cowboy. Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

On 6/28/2021 at 2:14 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not scared, I'm just PO at the damage they are wreaking on the world through their ignorance and faddism.

Lots of stuff was very bad in my lifetime, so I'm not saying it was perfect, but it was certainly a more liveable world for old people eg my aged parents got looked after way better than old people are now and medical care is far harder to access unless wealthy now.

Well, I hope you are living in the west sitting in front of your house on a lawn chair watching the days end. Or are you in Thailand? That wasn't normal for the people back in the time you glorify. And marrying outside of your race wasn't really either. I won't disagree that there are a lot of bad aspects to culture today but you can put equal or even more blame  for that on the past generations and their excesses, apathy and failures.

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, instead of having a trip to another country, and earning a lot of money, she ended up working in Makro for a lot less.

I was never one for sweet talk anyway.

But you do get the fact that working in the hot sun all day picking fruit is not most people's idea of a good life... right?

Sure, I would much rather work at Makro too... even for less money - it is air conditioned and not likely back breaking work... 

And this is the lady who you had big problems with? Sounds like maybe you had different dreams? 

14 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But you do get the fact that working in the hot sun all day picking fruit is not most people's idea of a good life... right?

Sure, I would much rather work at Makro too... even for less money - it is air conditioned and not likely back breaking work... 

And this is the lady who you had big problems with? Sounds like maybe you had different dreams? 

Fruit-picking is <deleted> if you're colour-blind

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

LOL, LOL, LOL.

If that's your counter argument, no cigar, and not even close. Seems a bit like clutching for straws.

In NZ Kiwi Fruit picking isn't done in summer. Loads of people come from other countries just to pick it and make big bucks.

I've done it myself and it's not that hard or difficult, and is generally a pleasant day out in the fresh air.

and not likely back breaking work... 

Sigh. You really have no idea of what it's like working in Makro. My wife worked in one so I, on the other hand, do know. She was lifting heavy weight all day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Well, I hope you are living in the west sitting in front of your house on a lawn chair watching the days end. Or are you in Thailand? That wasn't normal for the people back in the time you glorify. And marrying outside of your race wasn't really either. I won't disagree that there are a lot of bad aspects to culture today but you can put equal or even more blame  for that on the past generations and their excesses, apathy and failures.

And marrying outside of your race wasn't really either.

????????????????????????

Certainly never the case in NZ. Mixed race marriage is normal, and has been for hundreds of years.

14 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'm not sure about that.

I wouldn't mind sitting on the beach in the sun all day renting out jet skis.

or being the guy in the beach bar, handing out drinks.

or sitting in a bar while men buy me drinks/food, play pool and chat to me.

I've never really needed air-con, although a bit of shade is nice.

Edited by BritManToo

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ever picked fruit? I have no idea what you mean.

I have picked fruit.

Yes, I have picked fruit.  That is the basis on which I made my assertion.  Perhaps I should have just chosen different fruit to pick (grapes might be easier),but where I grew up there wasn't a wide choice.

I am guessing it is pretty miserable in the rain, as well.

Or in hot climates.

Back in the day, it was quite seasonal work.

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In the past (as early as 1970) we didn't have to marry outside our race.

Very few other races to choose from back then.  Still the same today in Barnsley.

Just a quick question how has a discussion on films and music digressed to fruit picking. Gotta love TV forum.

Edited by DaLa
Missing words

Actually a lot of movies and TV series are far more progressive then before. You have more colored actors you got gays/ladyboys and lesbians and all sorts now in TV.

So i think the next generation will be a bit more open minded then the dinosaurs of the past.

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure about that.

I wouldn't mind sitting on the beach in the sun all day renting out jet skis.

or being the guy in the beach bar, handing out drinks.

or sitting in a bar while men buy me drinks/food, play pool and chat to me.

I've never really needed air-con, although a bit of shade is nice.

sure.. your idea is a dream job and a far cry from picking fruit - I have thought of it myself as an ideal lifestyle, far from the world at large - no newspapers allowed ... though the shade is a must... 

the kiwi on the other hand - well, I always wanted to tell a woman - come with me and i can make you miserable for the rest of your life... i feel sorry for the guy, but you don't have to go too far to see that any Thai lady who found a farang might be just a touch more than deeply deeply deeply disappointed... 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually a lot of movies and TV series are far more progressive then before. You have more colored actors you got gays/ladyboys and lesbians and all sorts now in TV.

So i think the next generation will be a bit more open minded then the dinosaurs of the past.

It seemed to have reached a happy all inclusive medium a few years ago , these days it straight White males that are being discriminated against .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, LOL, LOL.

If that's your counter argument, no cigar, and not even close. Seems a bit like clutching for straws.

In NZ Kiwi Fruit picking isn't done in summer. Loads of people come from other countries just to pick it and make big bucks.

I've done it myself and it's not that hard or difficult, and is generally a pleasant day out in the fresh air.

and not likely back breaking work... 

Sigh. You really have no idea of what it's like working in Makro. My wife worked in one so I, on the other hand, do know. She was lifting heavy weight all day.

and you wonder why your marriage went wrong? obviously she had other hopes and dreams than you - as would 99.9% of Thai ladies hooking up with a farang... 

In USA we call the 'loads of people' migrant workers - and what for you is a pleasant day in the fresh air, well, others might call it - having to pick fruit for a living... 

so, truth be told - did you court her with nice hotels and restaurants and days on vacations?