Experience?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

It seemed to have reached a happy all inclusive medium a few years ago , these days it straight White males that are being discriminated against .

That is what you think, they are still in TV series just less. Its great that they do it the way they do it now to include everyone and to make sure that gay and others don't have to be shy about what they are as they are now in TV too.

I think its better to say that before white males were dominating it all not representing all people I know it must be hard to swallow for older white males who are used to their privilege of old. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

That is what you think, they are still in TV series just less. Its great that they do it the way they do it now to include everyone and to make sure that gay and others don't have to be shy about what they are as they are now in TV too.

I think its better to say that before white males were dominating it all not representing all people I know it must be hard to swallow for older white males who are used to their privilege of old. 

No, I stopped watching television quite a while ago  , its terrible these days .

I haven't owned a television  for years .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, I stopped watching television quite a while ago  , its terrible these days .

I haven't owned a television  for years .

Good for you... i enjoy the current tv shows.. sure i dont like watching guys make out but that is ok i can always skip that. But at least these things will foster greater understanding of other people. 

As i said most dinosaurs don't get that and feel discriminated against while in reality it was just a build off of their preferential treatment. 

Just now, robblok said:

Good for you... i enjoy the current tv shows.. sure i dont like watching guys make out but that is ok i can always skip that. But at least these things will foster greater understanding of other people. 

As i said most dinosaurs don't get that and feel discriminated against while in reality it was just a build off of their preferential treatment. 

These days, straight White guys are usually portrayed  as being stupid and helpless , pretty much the way females were portrayed 50 years ago .

The discrimination is still there , just the victims have changed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a millennial born in the early 90s with casual interest in demography, it's interesting to read some of the perspectives in this thread, and on this forum generally. A little like a sociological case study in real time.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

As a millennial born in the early 90s with casual interest in demography, it's interesting to read some of the perspectives in this thread, and on this forum generally. A little like a sociological case study in real time.

I've never heard Thaivisa called "real time"  before...

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've never heard Thaivisa called "real time"  before...

It's not Discord, but it's good enough I guess. I think it's appropriate in general for the target demographic (or do you guys have a Discord I'm unaware of ????)

7 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

It's not Discord, but it's good enough I guess. I think it's appropriate in general for the target demographic (or do you guys have a Discord I'm unaware of ????)

I don't know anything about these new-fangled musical instruments.

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Skipping over the contempt that this comment deserves, and exploring the possible nugget of relevance  that it might contain....

Some amongst us might be of an older generation than our children
1.  What have you done to make sure that your children enjoy your cultural heritage?
2. what have you done to make sure that your children are woke and not hampered or benefited by their cultural heritage?
1. My son can play the Z-cars theme  on the flute.

2. I have exposed tem to modern education.

1. Drag them around endless castles, museums, historical palaces and famous landmarks both in the UK, Europe and the Far East..

2. Made them all go to university, made sure they were all politically left of centre , anti-racist and atheists. They read the Guardian for the news and the Daily Express for a laugh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I remember one day sitting in a bar with her the flower seller came round and I bought my Thai girl a red rose. She turned to me and said, "Why did you do that? next time just hand me the 10 baht"

After that, I just gave mine cash, seemed to work.

Today I gave her a 20Kg sack of Jasmine Rice ......... that worked as well.

Food, money and gold ........... forget the restaurants and vacations.

at first that was true for my wife too... she has come to enjoy the occasional trip or decent restaurant...

But, the point is to know what they want... and not waste money otherwise... 

And, I think some of the posters here don't get that simple fact. The ones with the horror stories, I always wonder what the Thai wife side of the story might be... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

at first that was true for my wife too... she has come to enjoy the occasional trip or decent restaurant...

..... or she has learned to manage you.

Me .... I don't care what they want any more, it's all about what I want.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

..... or she has learned to manage you.

Me .... I don't care what they want any more, it's all about what I want.

That's an issue for me... there isn't much I want... [is it the being over 70 thing? been there, done that?]

But I do want my wife and kid to be happy... 

But you said you like your wife... what is it you want? 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, ballpoint said:

Every generation rails against the changes to the world it grew up in, and the strivings of the younger generation to make it their own.  Always has been so, always will be so.  And a bunch of scared old men who can't understand what has happened to the world (doing so, ironically, on an online social media forum), won't make a blind bit of difference to this.  David Bowie knew it:

“And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations.
They're quite aware of what they're going through".

Nah. It's related  to quality  not age. And in some cultures there is no teen rebellion.. and some just import  mass produced  American  dross uncritically. Nor is the issue gender based.

20 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But, the point is to know what they want... and not waste money otherwise... 

And, I think some of the posters here don't get that simple fact. The ones with the horror stories, I always wonder what the Thai wife side of the story might be... 

I've know some thick ugly overweight  men married to Thai women.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I don't know many Thai girls not married to thick, overweight, ugly men....my wife is lucky I am not overweight....555

On 7/1/2021 at 8:38 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

But I do want my wife and kid to be happy... 

My kid is easy, let him watch videos, play on the xbox and the occasional bar of chocolate or bag of crisps.

My woman hardly ever happy, I think that's how women are, not that bothered, up to her.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

sure, men are a bunch of hairy a$$ed ugly creatures... I don't get why women like any of them... 

but not sure what that has to do with anything ??

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, robblok said:

https://officialhodgetwins.com/products/white-privilege-card

Get your now

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:49 AM, StreetCowboy said:

Since they stopped making music in the 90s,

There were some gems in the 90's, but really a lot more junk, as it had already gone downhill. For me it really ended in the 80's.

Go to YT and look up "why does 80's pop music sound so good?" for an excellent overview. The rise of the synthesizer at the time gave rise to incredible creativity in melody and composing. Read through the comments also. Several are to the effect of "the music back then still had music in it".

Since then I believe much of that craft has been lost to autotune, mind numbing repetition, and mindless lyrics.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:16 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

and you wonder why your marriage went wrong? obviously she had other hopes and dreams than you - as would 99.9% of Thai ladies hooking up with a farang... 

In USA we call the 'loads of people' migrant workers - and what for you is a pleasant day in the fresh air, well, others might call it - having to pick fruit for a living... 

so, truth be told - did you court her with nice hotels and restaurants and days on vacations? 

While the thread isn't about me and my marriage- my marriage went wrong because she wanted my money and not me. I was just another victim of the long con. Plenty of us about.

If people don't have a proper job and need money, they must do something even if it's only picking fruit. Whether they like it isn't a requirement, and no one cares if they don't.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I remember one day sitting in a bar with her the flower seller came round and I bought my Thai girl a red rose. She turned to me and said, "Why did you do that? next time just hand me the 10 baht"

After that, I just gave mine cash, seemed to work.

Today I gave her a 20Kg sack of Jasmine Rice ......... that worked as well.

Food, money and gold ........... forget the restaurants and vacations.

Yeah, I learned about 30 years ago that Thai bargirls don't care about flowers. Money always works though.

They don't care about romance either. I took a GF to dinner on the Chaweng Beach- I mean the table was actually on the sand- and the waves were perfect, and a lovely moon, but all she cared about was the food. We could have sat in the room watching tv for all she cared.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 3:49 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Yes, I have picked fruit.  That is the basis on which I made my assertion.  Perhaps I should have just chosen different fruit to pick (grapes might be easier),but where I grew up there wasn't a wide choice.

I am guessing it is pretty miserable in the rain, as well.

Or in hot climates.

Back in the day, it was quite seasonal work.

They don't pick Kiwifruit in the rain.

On 6/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

anyone can go into a temple and get fed... every Thai knows this... 

So religious groups, through donations, perform the task that a government should do, with tax payer funds.   Is that "modern Thailand?"  

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While the thread isn't about me and my marriage- my marriage went wrong because she wanted my money and not me. I was just another victim of the long con. Plenty of us about.

If people don't have a proper job and need money, they must do something even if it's only picking fruit. Whether they like it isn't a requirement, and no one cares if they don't.

You or I might prefer picking fruit, if we could, but we grew up in an environment where unskilled labour was well-paid.  For others, marrying a farang might be considered better than picking fruit.  It wouldn't be my choice, but I've never picked fruit in Thailand.

I think you just didn't sell the strawberry fields of New Zealand well enough.  Strawberry fields forever.

SC

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

So religious groups, through donations, perform the task that a government should do, with tax payer funds.   Is that "modern Thailand?"  

Not everyone feels it is the job of the govt.. 

Did you forget that this is a different culture w/different ways of doing things?

Then others complain abt the expenditure of govt tax payer funds... this way, the food giving to the monks is an option... if taxed, it is a necessity...

Not sure if you want to label it modern or traditional but it works much better, in my eyes, than homeless people scavaging in the garbage... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah, I learned about 30 years ago that Thai bargirls don't care about flowers. Money always works though.

They don't care about romance either. I took a GF to dinner on the Chaweng Beach- I mean the table was actually on the sand- and the waves were perfect, and a lovely moon, but all she cared about was the food. We could have sat in the room watching tv for all she cared.

Does a bus driver want to be romanced by his/her customers? Or do they just want to do their job and go home?