Man electrocuted while repairing home jacuzzi

webfact

1624177267_1-org.jpg

Ambulances wait outside the home in Cherng Talay yesterday evening. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Police are investigating what had led to a man being electrocuted while repairing a home jacuzzi in Cherng Talay yesterday (June 19).

Capt Yannaphat Malai of the Cherng Talay Police was called to the home, in Soi Pasak 8/2, Moo 4, Cherng Talay, after the man’s body was found at about 6:50pm last night.

Police together with Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived to find the body of Surapol Samthong, 45, originally from Trang, beside the sunken tub in an area under the floor.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-electrocuted-while-repairing-home-jacuzzi-80405.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-21

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Or check the wiring. I found that the circuit to my bathroom ran directly off the Main and not a sub breaker. I double check everything electric here in Thailand. Things I have seen really frighten me.

Please explain why a sub breaker makes you more safe ? I can not see sub breakers are for any other reason than to make more space 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Please explain why a sub breaker makes you more safe ? I can not see sub breakers are for any other reason than to make more space 

If you have 10 breakers in one box it's easy to flip the wrong one off (labels correct?).

If you have a sub-breaker by the appliance, at least you know you're turning the right one off.

(working without the whole house off ....... you might need to do a bit of drilling/grinding/welding)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rwill said:

It was the technician they called that died.  Of course it is hard to say what a real technician is here.

Yeah, seems the only requirement to being a Thai "engineer" is a polo shirt and a utility belt. Scary place. NEVER trust anything important here. 

Distrust and Politely Verify 

This is the only way to survive in Thailand. Thais know it as well.

10 hours ago, itsari said:

One you know , well done , share the knowledge please . I know of not one I would trust in eight years being in Thailand .

One good result of that is I can wire a house without problems now . 

We had many amazing Thai electricians working for our offshore and onshore operations.  Of course, we paid them pretty good, and didn't beat them up when they spent some extra money for niceties like hot gloves, assistants (if only to call the ambulance), heavier wires, ground fault protection, etc.  The offshore guys worked 28/28 and moonlighted in the community on their days off.  So they're out there.

Sadly, they were rarely the low bid out in the community.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Sadly, they were rarely the low bid out in the community.

A high bid is still cheaper than your life. I'd gladly pay more for a qualified electrician that I knew I could trust. Qualified and trust being the operative words.

• Like 1