Vast majority of Thais want country open to foreign tourists, poll

webfact

7 minutes ago, 2long said:

WOW!! ????????

I normally enjoy the company and opinions of fellow bikers, but the aggression and accusations* in your post are quite alarming! I will/would never click on a link surrounded by such words, such is the fear of a spam link or worse.

How very dare you call me a Somchai!

Act like a duck, get called a duck. And whatever you do, don't go reading up on how polls are actually done so you can keep to your false understandings... With that kind of bravery, I bet your stand leans your bike more than you do ????

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

At only a little over 1000 Thais surveyed and the results obtained I can only assume the survey was targeted to the hotel, restaurant and other business owners who stand to profit for the tourists return.   

exactly. The type of folks who would of killed millions more around the world during the pandemic just so they could keep their pockets full, thank the stars they're not in control..

7 hours ago, webfact said:

91.4% of people polled nationwide agreed with the reopening plan wanting to see everyone vaccinated with at least a first dose.

Complete and utter BS.... talking to Thais all around me they all say nowhere enough people have had one vaccination let alone two, to start considering a complete opening of the borders with freedom of travel.

Even contacts with establishments closed say they and staff have not yet had any jabs and they would not open until they are fully protected.

50 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

The problem with vaccinations is that having only one shot you're not protected but might get an infection. If you're lucky you wouldn't die. 

In the time with one jab the virus could change even. We'll have a new variant. 

Only 2 jabs will provide protection. 

And I don't think the Indian variant will avoid to enter Thailand. 

Having said that it's evident that Sinovac can't give you any significant protection against the delta variant. 

So to open the country prior to a fully vaccination seem to be suicide. ????

You need to be exceptionally old or exceptionally obese and even then you would be exceptionally unlucky to die from this virus.    Just how deadly do you think this is?   The average age of death from this in the UK is 82.    That is about 1 year older than the average age of death from any cause in the UK.   Suicide is what happens when the country does not open up and many thousands have their businesses destroyed due to the overreaction to the virus.     

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As I walk around the malls in Prawet, Bangkok, I see few customers, even fewer buying, many closed stalls and shops, those still open having massive discounts and sales. It is clear that the economy has tanked. The tourism industry is so subject to vagaries of taste and now pandemics as well as overdevelopment , that probably better to concentrate on developing sustainable industries and modernizing agriculture. These will ensure ability to export and feed the population rather than try and rely on tourism, an industry that exploited many and benefitted few beyond the ruling elite.

• Like 1

Since when does the governments of virtually any country care about what their citizens think?
Nowadays it's "stay at home, stay away from other people, wear a mask, and don't drink alcohol." 
No country will "open up" until their government's get they hell out of the way.

If I remember correctly, a few months ago, the vast majority wanted foreigner to stay away from Thailand, now it's the vast majority who want tourists to come back I'm assuming foreign tourists. Who did they poll, the foreign community or "tourists anonymous"? In event, I can understand. Commerce is commerce and money knows no boundaries, ethnicities and whether you wash or bathe, 2,3, 5, or 10 times a day. Still, I suspect that a fair amount of damage has been done but people forget quickly - promise them a cold beer like they do in the USA if you are willing to get jabbed. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 90% also pointed to fears about illegal nightclubs and new variants causing more Covid-19 infections. 

92.7% pointed to gambling and drugs adding to the pandemic woes. 

1,069 people from all social strata were asked questions from June 17th to 19th under the banner "Views on opening the country in 120 days".

Sounds more like 1069 government employees with ties to the ministries who "voted" in the poll.  These are line items out of the government's daily talking points.  Now they can say that virtually everyone in Thailand is in perfect agreement with the government's position.

I don't believe it one bit.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

The problem with vaccinations is that having only one shot you're not protected but might get an infection. If you're lucky you wouldn't die. 

In the time with one jab the virus could change even. We'll have a new variant. 

Only 2 jabs will provide protection. 

And I don't think the Indian variant will avoid to enter Thailand. 

Having said that it's evident that Sinovac can't give you any significant protection against the delta variant. 

So to open the country prior to a fully vaccination seem to be suicide. ????

Your chances of dying from Covid are 0.3% to 5%, depending on your age.

The vaccine gives between 67% to 95% chances of avoiding infection, depending on the brand.

Covid is endemic. Learn to live with it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Sounds more like 1069 government employees with ties to the ministries who "voted" in the poll.  These are line items out of the government's daily talking points.  Now they can say that virtually everyone in Thailand is in perfect agreement with the government's position.

I don't believe it one bit.

Just because you are not financially affected by lockdowns and lack of tourists does not mean everyone else is.   People here are going to suffer the consequences of the over reaction to this virus for a long time and the virus is insignificant if you cannot afford to even feed your family due to your business going under.   Not everyone is scared of or needs to be scared of the virus and for most people under 60 there are many more important things to worry about.      

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Don't bother with this aggressive member's links to try to prove himself right or clever.

I just love how many people are on here who claim to be experts in this or professionals in that, yet they spend their days on the internet, probably based in Isaan or Nana.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

Don't bother with this aggressive member's links to try to prove himself right or clever.

I just love how many people are on here who claim to be experts in this or professionals in that, yet they spend their days on the internet, probably based in Isaan or Nana.

Or alternatively he’s correct and all the wannabe headliners are talking out of their backside

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

A year or so ago when a similar poll was conducted, 90% of Thais said keep the foreigners out.

A year ago, if you asked any tourism based country the answer would have been 'no foreigners'. Ask the same countries now and they say 'open up'.

• Like 1

Nah, don't open up.

They haven't learned their lesson yet.

When they start to realise it was foreigners propping them up and stop taking us for granted.

Given it another year so a few more lose their business and homes. Then they might be more gratefull. 

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You can never poll everyone to get the full picture. You need a sample of reasonable number of people. The trouble is that by how you ask questions, and how you choose people, what data you then include in calculations and what you exclude gives you a blank cheque to tweak the results to any way you wish.

A "scientifically" accurate sample for 3rd World Thailand would be 250 folks at your local market, 250 at the BigC or Lotus check-out, 250 at Paragon BKK, and 250 in Pattaya Soi 6. Done.

Don't need a poll to tell me that Thailand must open up to foreign tourist. 17% of GDP, massive lay-off and hospitality business hanging on life support are economically unbearable if Thailand don't open up soon. Thailand will need a WB bailout like Indonesia if we don't get this sorted out soon. Massive responsibilities lay with the government to vaccinate large portion of the population and curb any infection resurgence. Thailand must demonstrate that  they are ready and safe for tourists. Ultimately tourists will decide which countries that they feel safe to visit. I would like Thailand to open up safely and not recklessly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realfunster said:

I wish these polls were in hard copy, sure I could find a good use for them in my bathroom. 

As usual, the politburo has manufactured very agreeable results to support the wonderful job of our “democratically elected government” which recently showed it’s colours by abstaining on a UN motion regarding Myanmar’s military junta. 

Nice conflation of two related but distinct items in this quoted answer.

I thought we were looking at a very best case scenario of end of 2021 for all Thais to have had a first dose. How does that reconcile with a 120 day tourist re-opening?

The only way they can hit the target is to fire then define the target