Vast majority of Thais want country open to foreign tourists, poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

Well, they could spend 4x as much, interview 4,160 people and take their margin of error from 4% down to to 2%.

But wouldn't that be a waste of time and money?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size-calculator/

Stats 01.jpg

Stats 02.jpg

That’s assuming the expected proportion in the population is 50%. In practice, the survey’s results indicate that the actual proportion is around 90%. When taking that into account a sample size of 1500 is already enough to get a 2% margin of error with a 99% confidence interval. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

In other questions posed 84.7% expressed concern for the two years of lost education for Thai children caused by school closures and disruption to learning.

I think this is one of the biggest tragedies caused by the covid virus. Not just in Thailand but in many countries around the world.

I am curious about the poll in wondering just how many of the people polled are involved with the

tourism industry in some way, or have close relatives that work in the tourism industry.  The answers

would certainly be affected if the majority of the people in the poll were in fact off the job, because they

and their company were shut down, because of no tourists.  Maybe this is why such a small number of

people doing this poll, gave the results in the manner that we have heard about.    I certainly would not trust

this poll.

Geezer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Wouldn't it be great if those dirty foreigners could just send the money rather than having to actually come here?

Virtual reality tours, they could even replicate the fetid smell of the drains like they do with Viking settlements at the Yorvik Viking Centre in York, England.

We'll look back in 10 years at the Soi 6 Pattaya bars with their cam shows (mug punters sending money for the girls to get shots of coloured water) as pioneers of virtual tourism in Thailand. 

Don't they already do that with that OnlyFans web site. Desperate guys paying loads of money to watch girls online.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

If it's inevitable that the Indian variant is already in the country, then we're waiting for people to get two doses of a vaccine that is effective against that variant.

When the country is opened, the tourists may not pose a risk bringing the variant in, but they can possibly transfer it and at the very least, they will be inconvenienced if everything locks down to stop the Indian variant, should it be required.

Sure, let them in, but don't ignore the fact that vaccine choice, or number of doses required to open the country, may cause another lock down sometime soon.

Not by Oct 1 so forget about high season 2021-2022 then. 

imagSAFEes.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, realfunster said:

I wish these polls were in hard copy, sure I could find a good use for them in my bathroom. 

As usual, the politburo has manufactured very agreeable results to support the wonderful job of our “democratically elected government” which recently showed it’s colours by abstaining on a UN motion regarding Myanmar’s military junta. 

Nice conflation of two related but distinct items in this quoted answer.

I thought we were looking at a very best case scenario of end of 2021 for all Thais to have had a first dose. How does that reconcile with a 120 day tourist re-opening?

It's all over the news, Rnz, yesterday big report on false vaccine certificates becoming a huge problem. 

Then a mention about children under 6 travelling with parents to the sand box having to have Covid insurance, I guess they meant included in the parents policy. 

Latest from Pfizer to Nz govt yesterday is they say its okay to vaccinate children over 12. 

49 % unsure and will refuse, PM says she would not want to influence people against their will. 

So AZ with all the controversy and many countries recommending only vaccinating people over 60, would not be going into my child. 

Thailand has problems with vaccine supplies and question marks are all over some of the brands ability to cope against Delta, and new variants, especially with only one dose administered. 

Opening up countries is a gamble, NZ is on the verge of closing the Australian travel bubble because of 9 cases of the Delta strain detected in Bondi yesterday, Sydney on the verge of another lockdown. 

Now add the false vaccine certificate scams into all this and opening up Thailand looking shaky at the best. 

Would I vaccinate my Thai child to return to Thailand.... No he's only 10 years old, every time we plan to return the rules and the variants, plus the outbreaks change. 

The world is a mess. 

23 hours ago, internationalism said:

so tourists do need 2 shots, and some will have already their 3rd shot (which is recommended sometimes over 6 months from the second shot), but thais will have 1 shot (sinovac, which is the most common in thailand gives only some 5% protection from the 1st shot).

my wife doesn't think it possible to open for tourists - so for me the vast majority of thai have an opposite opinion to this poll

FYI ,most farang tourists have the 2 dosage vaccination.

there is no relation  between thia vaccination effort at fully vaccinated toursits arriving in Thailand.

They are safe.

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

A year or so ago when a similar poll was conducted, 90% of Thais said keep the foreigners out.

I saw that result along with a leading Thai Doctor's statement that viris variants couldnt affect people in South East Asia. Bottom line, money,  I  wonder how many of those voters had access  to the fast dwindling slush funds

On 6/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, Kadilo said:

No you’re wrong. We have a professional stat man in our midst on Page 1 who said it 1000 is enough. 

A professional stats man, that excellent.  Now ask him who the people who were polled were?  Government stooges probably, if there actually was a poll.  I don't believe a bloody thing the government of this country says.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Kadilo said:

Who cares. He never even said falang. 

Thanks for the update………..<deleted> has that got to do with this subject?

Yes he did.  Maybe you should read the original post.