Those On Back To Back Tourist Visas

An Aussie friend just got back from Cambodia where he was grilled by the Thai embassy when applying for a 2 month tourist visa:

"What are you doing in Thailand?"

- Oh, I'm just a tourist, visting places of interest, etc.

After consulting with the supervisor and keeping him waiting for a long time, they said:

"We don't believe you, this will be your last visa".

They didn't elaborate and he said no more, didn't want to push it...

And that was on his new passport, issued in Bangkok with three 30 day stamps from previous visits.

Hmmm...

Thats why people are going to need to start proving that they bring money into Thailand from abroad.

I checked my bank book today... 1 mil since mid Jan... Should be enough for thier 40k (or 20 or 10 depending on which office you discuss with) per month rule.

Thats why people are going to need to start proving that they bring money into Thailand from abroad.

<...>

So if you can do that in Penang or wherever then they'll keep giving tourist visas indefinitely?

And would ATM receipts be sufficient or do they require official bank statements/receipts?

<...>

So if you can do that in Penang or wherever then they'll keep giving tourist visas indefinitely?

And would ATM receipts be sufficient or do they require official bank statements/receipts?

I doubt that the RTCG in Penang will issue neverending back to back visa's. Once they see that the applicant has become a de facto resident, they will look for a break in such residency.

I checked my bank book today... 1 mil since mid Jan... Should be enough for thier 40k (or 20 or 10 depending on which office you discuss with) per month rule.

The trouble 1 mil coming in erratically is not enough.

If you don't have a regular income, or the required sum in the bank when you apply you are screwed.

I know.

I have been on multi-entry "O" visa's (married) for that reason for the last 3 years.

Edited by astral

The trouble 1 mil coming in erratically is not enough

But if you have that kind of money coming in why can't you find some to put aside in a bank account becomes the question? I know it can be hard keeping it there with family commitments and such but the old amount would only have been 20%.

For those already using the extension of stay I suspect that the new amount is really going to adversely effect a lot of us but urge anyone in the system to try even if they think they can not meet the new benchmark. I believe every effort will be made to accommodate. Don't go back to visa runs without trying.

The trouble 1 mil coming in erratically is not enough.

If you don't have a regular income, or the required sum in the bank when you apply you are screwed.

I know.

I have been on multi-entry "O" visa's (married) for that reason for the last 3 years.

Just watch out at the next renewal Astral. Some posts are now looking hard at those that are using multi's to avoid the financial obligations attached to one year extensions on marriage or retirement grounds.

My point of the 1 mil was not that it was erratic simply thats how much I am able to show as brought into Thailand from overseas regularly (I normally bring about a 1/4 mil every 3 months but I had additional hospital expenses caring for my common law wife who died earlier this year so its a bit higher in the last 6 months)..

But if you have that kind of money coming in why can't you find some to put aside in a bank account becomes the question? I know it can be hard keeping it there with family commitments and such but the old amount would only have been 20%.

It is in a local bank.. So what ??? Thailand still does not want to let me have any kind of non tourist visa... Whats 20% or even 50% got to do with it ???

So far we have had one person reporting a problem in Cambodia,there must be numrous people everyday applying for these in Penang as well.Has anyone else had a problem?nothing reported here so far

We don't know the ins and out of this particular person,why had he got a new passport?had he had an overstay before on the other?how was he dressed and what was his attitued at the embassy.

Well lots of reports are slowly coming in that land borders are now stating they want to see that you bring money in from overseas if you are on a tourist visa..

Personally as long as you are not working illegally without work permits etc I dont see what the fuss is.. As long as you show money being brought into Thailand you are welcome to more back to back tourist visa's... Carry your bank book or your ATM reciepts..

It is in a local bank.. So what ??? Thailand still does not want to let me have any kind of non tourist visa... Whats 20% or even 50% got to do with it ???

I was quoting Astral who is married and had the right to extend his stay with only 20% of one million in the bank.

So far we have had one person reporting a problem in Cambodia,there must be numrous people everyday applying for these in Penang as well.Has anyone else had a problem?nothing reported here so far

We don't know the ins and out of this particular person,why had he got a new passport?had he had an overstay before on the other?how was he dressed and what was his attitued at the embassy.

He got a new passport because his old one was full. He's in his mid 40s, dresses casually, has a ponytail, looks like a backpacker but appears neat and clean. I know him well and he always has a submissive attitude when dealing with officialdom.

Actually, I'm going to Penang next week. My double entry tourist that I got in January is almost kaput. Should be interesting, I'll post the outcome...

There is no monthly income requirement for a tourist visa, only that you have money to cover the cost of your stay in Thailand. The idea that if you have proof of income from overseas you can get back to back Tourist visa's is a new one, well a least it is to me.

This was clearly not the case with the chap in the original post . As he was told we do not think you are a tourist do not come back end of story. :o

I'm a bit confused by all this....

If you are a toursit (hence a tourist visa) why would you have a Thai bank account in the first place, let alone have to show money coming into the country.

Most tourists do not carry bank statements.....so, if you show a bank statement are you not admitting that you are not a real tourist?

An Aussie friend just got back from Cambodia where he was grilled by the Thai embassy when applying for a 2 month tourist visa:

"What are you doing in Thailand?"

- Oh, I'm just a tourist, visting places of interest, etc.

After consulting with the supervisor and keeping him waiting for a long time, they said:

"We don't believe you, this will be your last visa".

They didn't elaborate and he said no more, didn't want to push it...

And that was on his new passport, issued in Bangkok with three 30 day stamps from previous visits.

Hmmm...

I can vouch for that. I had similar experience in Cambodia earlier this year

I was in cambodia and was singled out along with another gentleman who had been living in thailand on tourist visas for 1+years. we were both told the same thing. no more. no can do. they are telling everyone. this has nothing to do with how you look or dress. that is nonsense. the people in thailand who look and dress sloppily tend to be those passing through staying a short time. how about we stop insinuating that persons having embassy/border probs (trying to live in thailand on tourist visas) are somehow dressed sloppily or have lousy appearance. It is the contrary if anything. I get tired of hearing it on this forum cause I know it is untrue