Phuket ready for the Sandbox! But PM says “don't let mafia" spoil the party

webfact

24 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Considering all of these ridiculous restrictions and the way foreigners are treated in this country, I honestly hope that not only Phuket but Thailand as a whole fails. Who in there right mind wants to spend there hard earned money and earned vacation time from work to holiday in any destination that has the unmitigated gaul telling you what to do and how to do it. Vacations are supposed to be restful and stress free with plenty of unrestricted activities and all business open that makes their holiday a fun and memorable experience. Irregardless if you agree with me or not, life is short, each and everyone of us deserves much more than this! As long as you don't hurt anyone or yourself, live and enjoy life by your rules. Never let anyone dictate your life!

I can only assume you spent your holidays in such IMO awful places as Phuket and Samui. They used to be great but were IMO ruined before corona.

However, there are places away from the madding crowd that were delightful to visit pre corona, so long as one did not expect the IMO abomination of flashpacker accommodation.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He [tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprkarn] said that the latest Tourism Authority of Thailand assessment was that 100,000 visitors in the next three months will spend 9 billion baht.

9 billion baht divided with 100,000 tourists equals 90,000 baht spent by each tourist.

Based on average 14 days stay on Phuket this equals 6,429 baht per day in average, i.e. $202 by today's exchange rate ($1 = 31.76 baht).

Other articles have mentioned that the expected tourists are mainly Europeans, which according to statistics spend $125.47 pr, day in average when visiting Thailand, i.e. 3,985 baht per day by today's exchange rate.

I understand we are not talking plain European tourists when Phuket's sandbox is opening, these numbers indicates rather what might be considered as "quality tourists", as they otherwise might be disappointed when they are only finding 5.5 billion baht in the treasure chest by the end of September...????

• Thanks 1