Phuket Sandbox: Officials say island ready to open, but fewer tourists expected

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He also said that a press and agents' trip from Dubai would be landing in Phuket next Friday to report on the island's reopening, further spreading the good news. 

Doesn't help much with this:

"Pattaya: 121 foreigners and Thais arrested drinking alcohol at restaurants and beach gatherings"

as previous news...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

you do understand Phuket is a large island with various "cities"
some , like Patong are 90% shut down 

some, Like Rawai, Chern talay are 85% open

some, like Kamala are 75% open

some, like Phuket town are 90% OPEN

Errr  8.9 BILLION baht.............?

40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, and when it these early farang returners report that it was all well managed and their experience was great, the more reluctant farangs will sign up. When they also report that it's working even better than they expected, the 'tourists' will start to sign up. Once the word spreads among tourists that it's a decent vacation experience, it will be high season.

BTW, I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.

Yes, they'll gladly report that on days 5 and 12 they were rushing to find those new test centers in Phuket where they were required to take the RT-PCR tests for 2,800 THB a piece (or how they gave up and just went to one of the private hospitals to pay THB 3,500 there).  What an unusual an exciting experience. I assume also the arrival test has to be paid, and in case you go to Bangkok after the 14 days it would be 4 tests, so USD 440 total for the PCR tests in Thailand (and yes, they have scrapped the cheap antigen tests now for the sandbox). What a lavish holiday. Not sure this will lead to many more bookings by their friends though ????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A lot of if's and expectations, lets see what really happens next month.

you mean in 5 days when the first planes are supposed to land and then the social media will be abuzz with what they are truly having to go through just to visit for 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Honestly?

I'd put you down as a rose tinted spectacle kinda guy myself.

If the sky was blue you'd swear it was red, especially if it was made in Thailand.

Oops @WineOh... your half-empty glass is showing.

I think the correct term is saffron-tinted spectacles? That was a popular put-down from the forum's Thai bashers of yore that similarly couldn't hack it here and ultimately spat the dummy and quit.

Don't let me stop you though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

I presume we are talking about international long distance flights coming from mainly Europe - other articles have again and again stated that European, and American, tourists are the main number expected - which in average will carry about 200 passengers each, if not more.

So here comes the simple math...

426 x 200 = 85,200 passenger in July out of about 100,000 during all three month, which total number seems to be scaled down from earlier more specific 129,000 guests  in third quarter's sandbox.

If however, only one third of 100,000 arrives in July, the math goes like (100,000 / 3 ) / 426 = 78 passengers in average on each flight...????

Oh, perhaps I forgot that a number of these flights are for so-called quality tourists, i.e. private jets only carrying a few people onboard, then the math fits much better...????????

Your math as you put it up is all good. 
Except that your equation is all wrong. ????????

You need to add in an X-factor in your equation which is all the negativity being reported back home and in social media.
Such as the feel of being in the new Alcatraz jail, being ripped off, being monitored, deserted and closed businesses, told when to be at hotel, utterly boredom, bib problems and the list just goes on.. 

The X-factor variable is not a constant number in an equation. It will swing more than any bargirl in bangla road does. 

Not even calculating in the impact on the equations X-factor if anyone in the hotel catches covid so all will be locked up in their hotel room cells. Only to hammer down on their keyboards on social media. 

in Thailand no goverment body seems to know what the other does, or thinks or plan.  Do they talk to each other?

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

Doesn't help much with this:

"Pattaya: 121 foreigners and Thais arrested drinking alcohol at restaurants and beach gatherings"

as previous news...

AFAIK there's no sandbox in Pattaya. It's a deep-red zone with all the restrictions that a deep-red zone gets. If some are just too thick to work out what that means, who cares?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

My prediction is that they will fall WAY short. Not only because of all the last-minute "improvements" they've made, but because I'm convinced that Thailand will be red-listed by many countries by the end of July.

Woohoo!.. another glass-half-empty guy.

Along with @WineOh, we've now got a spectacular pair of bookends.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Why? That's both irrlevant and personal.

But if you insist, I have white hairs on my balls.

Have yours dropped yet?

have to give you that one mate.

That was top drawer! ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:
4 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Mr Yutthasak, that he expects the UK to scrap quarantine for people returning there from Phuket.

On what grounds does he base that ..

Mental illnesses?  ???? 

• Haha 2

Ah, just learned that Phuket issued a new rule for the sandbox:  If you want to leave the island after quarantine for another province (e.g. Bangkok), you need the following document at checkin at the airport for the domestic flight:

"Proof of COVID-19 test showing that COVID-19 was not detected during the 14-night stay in Phuket with the document issued by an agency of the Ministry of Public Health"

In ASQ in Bangkok, this document was sent by mail (postal mail) roughly one week after quarantine was done. At checkout the hotel said that they were very sorry that they can't provide the document at checkout since they didn't get it yet0, they were only able to provide a confirmation by the contract hospital that the quarantine test results were negative. At the time, no one ever cared about this document, also not for travel to other provinces.

Now Phuket makes it mandatory if you want to leave the province by air. That of course would be on top to requirements eg. Bangkok sets for entering their province ????

If one really needs to go to Thailand now, it actually might be better to choose ASQ instead of the Phuket sandbox. Quite likely cheaper (considering what they charge for tests in Phuket for the sandbox), and also actually can be planned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, and when it these early farang returners report that it was all well managed and their experience was great, the more reluctant farangs will sign up. When they also report that it's working even better than they expected, the 'tourists' will start to sign up. Once the word spreads among tourists that it's a decent vacation experience, it will be high season.

BTW, I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.

Half soaked,more accurately! ????