What in store for expats in Phuket after 1 July ?

Agusts

On 6/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, CLW said:

I think if you're wearing a mask (and if applicable, a helmet on motorcycle) the police will leave you alone.

I think it will be like sharks when there is blood in the water. 
Anything that smells like blood is food.
In this case, anything that looks like a tourist will need to be monitored and harassed.  Like I mentioned above.  The cue to harrass will be something as innocuous as not having a GPS wrist-band. 
"Where wrist track device?  Show passport!  Show phone. Why no phone track app? Why no passport?  Where you go?  You bad person for sure! Why no wrist track device???" What you do?" 

This will be entertaining!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, connda said:

In this case, anything that looks like a tourist will need to be monitored and harassed.  Like I mentioned above.  The cue to harrass will be something as innocuous as not having a GPS wrist-band. 
"Where wrist track device?  Show passport!  Show phone. Why no phone track app? Why no passport?  Where you go?  You bad person for sure! Why no wrist track device???" What you do?" 

Until the first attempt for police extortion is filmed, documented and on social media

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

hardcore expats have yellow house books and carry their Thai ID Cards.

routinely carrying passports on your person is for rank amateur idiot tourists.

“living in the woods” so dont expect any decent fast services then ......

particularly when you’re laying seriously injured from snakebite or m/c accident or food poisoning or dengue / malaria.....real “castaway” then...

and your comments on quality expat lifestyle in high standard areas like Phuket are worthless hearsay..if you have not experienced same......

hardcore expats??
guess im not one even with 34 years in phuket but NO PINK card< even owning my house>

Dam i wish i was as smart as you...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

hardcore expats??
guess im not one even with 34 years in phuket but NO PINK card< even owning my house>

Dam i wish i was as smart as you...

I guess I'm not one too after 26 years in Phuket. Wife tried get me this yellow book down at Karon Tessibaan a while back. They were not interested and threw up so many road blocks. I saw no value in the book so I told her never mind.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:03 AM, connda said:

Sir, whilst some of your predictions may indeed come to pass when the visitors return, the aged (like a fine cask whisky) expats will, I’m sure, have adaptations for such. The main problem will be those who endure the endless laughter of running any kind of business in Lalaland, mainly tourist related, that rely on the regularly generated biznit from them. I feel sorry for these business expats, as forming any type of future business plan in the current situation where stupidity and corruption is king, coupled with huge uncertainty compounded with polices written by those that couldn’t manage a round of toast, will be the root problem.

Before the issue of fleecing the tourists can be addressed, they first have to get them there. With travel restrictions already in place in the countries of origin, increased lack of affordability plus all the other negative news affecting Lalaland, there sure isn’t going to be a stampede from western countries.

My advice to any approached for a cash bonus by the BIB would be to ask for "Thai price". ????

• Haha 1

Well in comparison to Thailand, many countries (Canada, New Zealand, Australia come to mind) are not even trying to open up for tourists.  They recognize it has risks and is difficult to safely put in place.

Sure, some of the hyped Thailand tourist plans we read in the local press may elicit some humour, but at least the authorities are trying to get things started toward tourism.  I for one can not fault their optimism too much - even if its clear its not achievable precisely as planned and announced.  Obviously there are massive hurdles in place to keep things safe, massive hurdles for tourists to meet to be approved to come to Phuket, plus the announced restrictions in place for tourists to come, will I think surely mean small numbers of tourists initially.  But things need to start somewhere.  

This is a start - a slow start, and yes, there is a long ways to go.

In the immortal words of Oddball from Kelly's Heros -"Have a Little Faith".  ????????

• Like 1

As I recent Sandbox resident who started skeptical like most I must say covid has been a golden chance to live here & obviously we can only fear of any resumption of mass tourism that erodes current benefits, but as said any changes are bound to happen slow & gradually while specifically the 'raids' on any covid+ venues may be draconian & worrisome!
Main worry is the exit/entry for local residents without vaccination...

• Like 1

with sympathy for those forced out of work or those business that had to close>
past 18 months has been heavenly ..
even the 2 weeks we were shut down in our separate zones...

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, Susco said:

I have been to Phuket quite a few times over the years, but I failed to see what there is to envy.

Maybe you can enlighten us all?

Jeesh...here we go. (see below)

On 6/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, possum1931 said:

I had a photo of my passport and re entry permit on my phone, but immigration at the airport and IO office would not accept it, so I had to start my retirement extensions from the beginning again.

I had just got a new passport in the UK and they had not returned my old one which had my re entry permit on it to me.

Another reason for my hatred of Thai immigration.

Savaged multiple times for incompetence, anything else at this point is piling on... (snickers) 

On 6/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, Susco said:

I appreciate your opinion, but what you describe is currently true for any tourist resort in Thailand.

As I said, I have visited Phuket few times over the years, as I live near Pattaya for the past 27 years, and I didn't notice anything that would make me wanna move.

Ohhhhhhh, Pattaya! That explains everything. It's fabulous there. Yeah, Patts is da bomb. Great beach!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Bickering flame exchange removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonising other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

completely correct response possum. i too follow your same card carrying. carried laminated pp copy before.

passport carrying is rank amateur stupid touristy behaviour just begging for a ruined vacation........

couldnt care less what the law says on this.....anywhere.....

• Haha 1