3.5 Million Baht for a condo

Trac

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

As with any real estate - Location is the key.

Desirable properties will always find buyers.

It is the low and mid range offerings that become stagnant.

Perhap,s very true, but Supply and Demand is the Kingpin ,IMO,

On 6/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, BritManToo said:

Advise that was good 20 years back, when you were a young man and the Bhat was 90 to the pound, probably isn't that good today. 

Even 8 years back when I bought a 3 bed house for 1.8M, and that same house is 2.8M new probably isn't a good idea today.

Yes but the difference I think is you like me bought to have our own space and when we kick it will flip to the family as for them to always have a spot they can call home. This person at his age and if no relation might be best to just rent and keep the money.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes but the difference I think is you like me bought to have our own space and when we kick it will flip to the family as for them to always have a spot they can call home. This person at his age and if no relation might be best to just rent and keep the money.

Age 63 ......... he'll soon have a Thai wife and kids.

Almost unavoidable.

• Haha 2

Just now, NancyL said:

Yes, maybe so, but why buy a condo now?  Wait to see what the wife wants to do.  It's amazing how many newly retired guys end up marrying the first Thai woman they meet who shows them any kindness.

Very true, vulnerable i guess

Just now, NancyL said:

Yes, maybe so, but why buy a condo now?  Wait to see what the wife wants to do.  It's amazing how many newly retired guys end up marrying the first Thai woman they meet who shows them any kindness.

He should rent a condo and wait to see if his new wife already has a property, but just needs some cash income.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, BritManToo said:

D-Condo Ping has a very nice swimming pool.

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo/12453/d-condo-ping

30m2 Condo 8kbht/month rental or 2.4Mbht to buy. (renting far better value for money IMHO)

pool.jpg

I actually rented there for a few months... it was ok - one deficiency was that there was nothing like a 7/11 in easy walking distance.. the mall is not far but... I am not really a mall person... and even driving in and out of there was not that convenient, but the pool was great. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Wait to see what the wife wants to do. 

great point... that many seem to miss... 

I think there are enough people who don't consider that and the new wife is not wanting to speak up and make waves... many times the cultural differences are not noticed... and people marry too quickly, before they really know what their wife might want... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

great point... that many seem to miss... 

I think there are enough people who don't consider that and the new wife is not wanting to speak up and make waves... many times the cultural differences are not noticed... and people marry too quickly, before they really know what their wife might want... 

Disagree,

spent 2 years before marrying the Brit wife ....... the marriage was awful.

spent 2 weeks before marrying the Thai wife ...... the marriage was amazing.

Knowing what your wife wants .......... that's never gonna happen!

Probably because they don't know what they want either.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree,

spent 2 years before marrying the Brit wife ....... the marriage was awful.

spent 2 weeks before marrying the Thai wife ...... the marriage was amazing.

good for you, not a surprise... 

7 come eleven beats snake eyes... 

but I think others mileage may vary... 

ps - I would guess the 50% failure of marriage rate is about the same here as in the West?? but most all of my friends have good long lasting relationships here... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I actually rented there for a few months... it was ok - one deficiency was that there was nothing like a 7/11 in easy walking distance.. the mall is not far but... I am not really a mall person... and even driving in and out of there was not that convenient, but the pool was great. 

This is actually pretty important.  Having a 7-11 or Family Mart with-in walking distance is incredibly convenient.

imo your better off renting a villa or small house with a garden area on a yearly lease or more, not a condo. there's plenty of these in the cm area close to the old city.

these condos in cm are not that great and things feel cramped after awhile. a month or two and i wanted to get out even from a big one with a view of the mountain (chomdoi condotel).

the way the balconies are setup you also need to close your drapes at night because the neighbor can peer in at you or even lean over from the next unit to look in while your sleeping. it's a hassle to keep opening and closing the drapes all the time.

it gets hot here and sitting in a condo gets real stuffy and humid and you cant just live with ac its loud, stuffy and expensive. no cross ventilation in most condos due to the hallways. need a small house with air flow.

if i was set on a condo though, i can recommend chomdoi, nice units, views of doi suthep. classy older building. up above nimman towards the university. you need to get in the bigger round building though, not the smaller building.

Edited by DerbyDan

On 6/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, Maha Sarakham said:

I personally liked the Astra next door to the Shangri'La hotel, but these days the landscape of businesses that are still open has changed considerably, especially on the east side of the old town.  I don't think I'd want to stay over there anymore, as the night bazaar was struggling to stay alive even before covid.

Really depends what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.  If you want to walk everywhere or catch a red songthaew, possibly Hillside 4 or Nimman area just beyond the moat would suffice.  Condos aren't very expensive in Chiang Mai, you should have a decent selection.  I'd recommend Perfect Homes Chiang Mai to help you in your search, my Thai wife used them to rent a condo for a couple months while in Chiang Mai and they were honest, helpful and responsive.

Good luck!

I can concur

I recommend  you contact Noon at Perfect Homes

She will  see you right

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

This is actually pretty important.  Having a 7-11 or Family Mart with-in walking distance is incredibly convenient.

The walk to the supermkt in Festival would have been 20 minutes each way, returning carrying a grocery bag...

Driving would entail probably about the same amt of time as you exit onto the frontage road of the hwy and would have to circle several miles to get around the large blocks and one ways.. 

you don't want to forget anything... 

other than that the pool and grounds were quite nice... 

6 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Most people manage to drive a scooter without any problems.

7-11 will deliver if you can't manage that.

'Walking distance' with a bag of shopping is about 100m for me.

Nah. I'd still use the scooter.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Age 63 ......... he'll soon have a Thai wife and kids.

Almost unavoidable.

Ya know, CM does seems to be a haven for people in their late sixties or early seventies to start a family or having the gal do a surprise I'm pregnant! I have seen so many of them over 20 years here walking around pushing a baby cart. Also see many who the kids are 5-8 yrs old or so that he isn't the official sperm donor of them. Only can hope everyone is happy and has the best life they can.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:02 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I know Facebook are for teenagers,  but join a few Chiang Mai real-estate group and post your offer there.

Maybe a seller with the perfect unit is sitting 5,000 miles from Chiang Mai.

With 23k members, you get better exposure in FB groups. 

Screenshot_20210627-055640_Facebook.jpg

Good idea, and the agents will jump on you like flies on a heep of dog$h1t.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, NancyL said:

Single guys have moved out for this reason, however, because they don't want the building staff constantly inquiring about their ever-changing love life.

A love life like this isn't allowed?

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:20 PM, NancyL said:

I don't like the security of that.  Personally, I like that our building staff knows everyone's business and reacts if someone seems to be having a health or other problem.  Single guys have moved out for this reason, however, because they don't want the building staff constantly inquiring about their ever-changing love life.

A Thai lady I knew a few years back had an apartment in your block kitted out as a dungeon, whips, chains on the wall, etc. Nobody seemed bothered with all the male callers coming and going.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A Thai lady I knew a few years back had an apartment in your block kitted out as a dungeon, whips, chains on the wall, etc. Nobody seemed bothered with all the male callers coming and going.

What the building security does that irritates some of the residents is that they ask to hold the ID of some visitors until they leave the building.  They did this with my Thai teachers until, with each teacher, I convinced the building staff that the same lady was coming to my condo on a regular basis and they already had her ID details on file.  They don't seem to be as consistent in doing this with our foreign friends who in the same demographic as us.  Or with Thai people who are regulars, like a lady who comes to care for a shut-in each day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

And a Thai Lady ,did a swan dive from a upper floor and missed the  small pool and was splattered to smitherine,s  on the concrete decking,early 2000,s????

heard that older expats are leaving CM due to heavy air pollution from seasonal field / forest burning.

surely living in CM as an oldster will potentially develop or worsenrespiratory problems ...... 

what exactly is the attraction of CM ?

has no seaviews, no beaches, no water sports, for me these are all essential components of the Thailand Expat Lifestyle Experience so I chose Phuket ( West Coast) having travelled all over Thailand.

and SE Asia......

2 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

heard that older expats are leaving CM due to heavy air pollution from seasonal field / forest burning.

surely living in CM as an oldster will potentially develop or worsenrespiratory problems ...... 

what exactly is the attraction of CM ?

has no seaviews, no beaches, no water sports, for me these are all essential components of the Thailand Expat Lifestyle Experience so I chose Phuket ( West Coast) having travelled all over Thailand.

and SE Asia......

Not everyone particularly likes beaches and the sea .

Two weeks by the sea per year is enough for me 

• Like 1