Bangkok Emergency Rule Looms

Mid

Bangkok emergency rule looms

By Post Reporters

Authorities fear chaos will erupt next Wednesday, when the verdicts in the party dissolution cases are handed down. With the prime minister scheduled to be out of the country, the military would control the situation.

The government is ready to declare an emergency decree in Bangkok, anticipating feared chaos. Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas said the government has closely examined the situation and concluded that disorder is likely.

Gen Boonrawd expressed confidence that the Council for National Security (CNS) could control the situation during the absence of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who is scheduled to visit China from May 28 to 31.

let me be the first to allude to the fortuitous timeing of the PM's trip ...................................................... :o

Bangkok emergency rule looms

By Post Reporters

Authorities fear chaos will erupt next Wednesday, when the verdicts in the party dissolution cases are handed down. With the prime minister scheduled to be out of the country, the military would control the situation.

The government is ready to declare an emergency decree in Bangkok, anticipating feared chaos. Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas said the government has closely examined the situation and concluded that disorder is likely.

Gen Boonrawd expressed confidence that the Council for National Security (CNS) could control the situation during the absence of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who is scheduled to visit China from May 28 to 31.

let me be the first to allude to the fortuitous timeing of the PM's trip ...................................................... :o

The exact same thought came to my mind when I first read that article. Here we go again.....!!!!

Austraian Embassy has just issued a revised travel warning tonight for its citizens who will be in BKK :

Demonstrations have been taking place in Bangkok regularly in recent weeks. You should avoid demonstrations, political rallies and concentrations of military personnel. You should monitor the media and follow any instructions issued by local authorities. Around 29 May to 31 May 2007, large demonstrations in connection to a forthcoming Constitutional Court ruling are expected to be held in Bangkok at venues including Royal Plaza and Sanam Luang.

Peter

Why is it that they are considering banning the political parties?? It does not make sense to me. If there are culprits who have violated the law, as powers that be interpret it, then deal with the individuals. I don't understand why they would want to ban the whole party. Than is like banning the Reublican or Democratic party in USA because some individuals were found guilty of corruption. It would seem to me that banning a whole political party is an invitation to trouble. No wonder there is some "hand wringing" going on.

Hope we don't have a repeat of Black May on our hands.

Seriously doubt that.

The country has indeed developed a bit in 20 odd years.

But if it happens, wonder if the very same soldiers will be used as last year.

Remember how they got fed by the people.

Sailor

The decision is announced on the 30th. Therefore if there are any problems those are most likely to occur the following day 31st. Thus Friday would be a better day to close governement offices etc as it would allow a longer break for cooling off period, and in any event, it makes for a nice long weekend for them.

I won't copy the articles from Bangkok Post to here, (anyone interested can go there to read).

Apparently PM Suryod is cancelling his trip to China.

HM's speech (see article in today's BP) to the court was a little ambiguous. Read between the lines & you'll get the impression that the court is in a no win sitution.

Worth checking out.

www.bangkokpost.co.th

Cheers,

Soundman.

Hope we don't have a repeat of Black May on our hands.

Seriously doubt that.

The country has indeed developed a bit in 20 odd years.

But if it happens, wonder if the very same soldiers will be used as last year.

Remember how they got fed by the people.

Sailor

I hope nothing like that ever happens again too, but I would never bet against it either. :o A bit like the film "Groundhog Day", events can seem to repeat themselves in Thailand, as they don't seem to ever learn from history, however recent.

The King's speech is worth reading.

Yes, it's worth reading. Did you actually understand what His Majesty really meant in his speach?

I did not.

I've heard totally diametric analysis of it from Thai's who are not relying on an unofficial translation.

Regards

Ps I think I know but I'd not wish to place a bet on it {assuming that was legal, of course}

Bring on the first week of June. I'm outa here!

I hope nothing happens, but it's not good for us not knowing what's going on.....................

:o Just the opposite for me. I'm due to arrive in BKK on the 5th of June and be there until the 14th of June.

Well, we shall see what happens. Won't be the first time I've been there during problems, but I'd still rather not go through it again.

:D

The King's speech is worth reading.

Yes, it's worth reading. Did you actually understand what His Majesty really meant in his speach?

I did not.

George, the way I read it, His Majesty was expressing his deep concern for the stability of the country. It was a very sobering speech in my opinion.