Tap water in Bangkok, 2 other provinces, turns brackish, but still safe

snoop1130

000_1QB3OE.jpg

A general view of the Chao Phraya river (Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP)

Households in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan have been warned that their tap water may occasionally taste brackish, due to the high content of sodium chloride, but that it is still safe for consumption.

Mr. Raksak Suriyaharn, deputy governor of Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA), said today (Monday) that the shortage of rain in most parts of Thailand, despite the onset of the rainy season in early June, has resulted in an influx of sea water deeper into the Chao Phraya River, while the amount of water flowing downstream is insufficient to push back the saltwater.

To address the problem, he said the MWA has adjusted its water production plan, in sync with the discharge of water through the Chao Phraya dam by the Royal Irrigation Department (RID), to push back the seawater temporarily, adding that this method allows a window of just four hours per day to pump raw water, which is less brackish, at Sam Lae in Muang district of Pathum Thani, to be used to produce tap water.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-water-turns-brackish-due-to-seawater-influx-but-still-safe/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-28

• Haha 1

Here we go again. Saves me adding salt to the water when cooking pasta then. ????

So many things to die from in Bangkok nowadays (crazy drivers, fine particles / pollution, Covid-19, now brackish tap water) - what a tough choice!

11 hours ago, josthomz said:

The closest I am to "consuming" Bangkok's water is cooking with it... 

When it comes to drinking, I know that probably it is safe, but I still wouldn't. I just buy bottled water.

And that bottled water comes from?  Taps.  They just use filtration (RO) which you can do yourself if so inclined.  But understand buying bottled is often a better option for small users.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, josthomz said:

The closest I am to "consuming" Bangkok's water is cooking with it... 

When it comes to drinking, I know that probably it is safe, but I still wouldn't. I just buy bottled water.

No shower ?????