Thai resort island of Phuket reopens for tourists

webfact

I appreciate they tried to do something at least. But if their goal is only 100k tourists by the end of the year, that is a really low objective... 

Trying to remain hopeful for everyone involved in the tourism industry but it seems that there are still darker months ahead with the covid situation worsening here on a daily basis.

Hopefully, higher numbers will come in mid October when and if they manage their reopening plan, which doesn't sound promising yet..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

That actually sounds like the most reasonable statistic I've ever heard from this government on the issue; 70-100,000bt seems a reasonable amount for a 2-3 week holiday.

I agree....someone has cocked-up big time.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I appreciate they tried to do something at least. But if their goal is only 100k tourists by the end of the year, that is a really low objective... 

Trying to remain hopeful for everyone involved in the tourism industry but it seems that there are still darker months ahead with the covid situation worsening here on a daily basis.

Hopefully, higher numbers will come in mid October when and if they manage their reopening plan, which doesn't sound promising yet..

The 100k mentioned in the OP is for the 3rd quarter.

As you mention, hopefully that, all going well, Q4 will see higher numbers especially if the sandbox concept is expanded to other locations. Little acorns.........

1 minute ago, dabhand said:

The 100k mentioned in the OP is for the 3rd quarter.

As you mention, hopefully that, all going well, Q4 will see higher numbers especially if the sandbox concept is expanded to other locations. Little acorns.........

You're right, how did I miss that... Then hopefully it'll pick up in Q4 and they may have a moderate "high season"

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JayClay said:

That actually sounds like the most reasonable statistic I've ever heard from this government on the issue; 70-100,000bt seems a reasonable amount for a 2-3 week holiday.

I doubt my 5yr old could spend that much, even if Phuket had a "Toys'R'Us" !  As for the Chinese tour groups, which are the targeted numbers, Nah !

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Any news on exactly how many Phuketians have had two jabs and of what vaccine?

MASS VACCINATIONS

According to a report issued this morning by the Phuket office of the Public Relations Department, 383,158 people in Phuket have received at least one state-provided COVID-19 vaccination injection as of yesterday (June 29).

The increase marks 8,527 ‘first vaccination injections’ administered across the island yesterday.

The new total represents 82% of the 466,587 target population on the island to be vaccinated, said the report.

According to the report, just 24 people received their second vaccination injection yesterday, with the total for second injections now marked as 298,344 people ‒ up from 298,320 on Monday.

The report also marked 1,988 more people registering to receive a state-provided vaccination, now with a total of 428,882 people registered as of yesterday ‒ up from 426,894 on Monday.

Phuket News is your friend!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I believe most were Westerners, including an Israeli family.   There may have been/probably were some Thais onboard also.

"An Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi was the 1st to land at Phuket Airport at 11.10am, under the “sandbox” reopening project, which begins today (Thursday). It landed later than its scheduled arrival of 10.20am, with 25 foreign arrivals on board (as opposed to 46 reported previously)"

Hey, I have glasses and can read perfectly thank you. What is the font size - 100?

BTW. It was a joke against this governments policy of no alcohol.