Thai resort island of Phuket reopens for tourists

webfact

So I remember seeing over 100 people on the Singapore flight should arrive and it was half of that.

What are the actual number of arrivals

Eithad - 25 People

Qatar - anyone any ideas

El Al - anyone any ideas

Singapore - 50 people

Also how many were Foreign and how many returning Thais?

Edited by beano2274

I also think that the airlines are closely monitoring this, they must be making a huge loss

Etihad for example

25 paying customers at approx 600 Euros per head = 15,000 Euros

Costs of fuel ? unknown to me

Hotels for crew if staying overnight approx 1000 Euros total

Cost of on the ground servicing (Ticketing, baggage etc) unknown

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aguy30 said:

Covid-19: Indonesia announces lock down in Java and Bali as cases surge  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57647693

In the meantime Thailand has just opened Phuket. I really don't understand Thai thinking. A medical expert should be making these kind of decisions, not Anutin and politicians.

Great article. Note almost total use of Sinovac ("Coronavac") and deaths after full vaccination,  especially the doctors and nurses !

Over 2 million cases and 57000 deaths there....both probably way under because of no testing or vaccinations.

Sound familiar ?

• Like 1

Just now, candide said:

I am wondering.... In case the epidemic would get very bad in Thailand and the country blacklisted, would it be blacklisted "except for Phuket sandbox"?

Doubtful.... but each country would make up its own rules about how this is done. Most just name a country, but I think there is mileage in the idea. For eg treating the Balearic or Canary Islands separately from Spain.... but then domestic travel has to be controlled.

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

I also think that the airlines are closely monitoring this, they must be making a huge loss

Etihad for example

25 paying customers at approx 600 Euros per head = 15,000 Euros

Costs of fuel ? unknown to me

Hotels for crew if staying overnight approx 1000 Euros total

Cost of on the ground servicing (Ticketing, baggage etc) unknown

The aircraft departed for Bangkok approximately one hour after arriving in Phuket, possibly picking up pax before returning to Abu Dhabi.   Think you'll find most long haul flights will be carrying two sets of crews as they won't be overnighting anywhere, so would run out of permissable working hours.

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

That's because they were all at Central today, watching the great man make a speech.

Remind me not to go to Central next time there's a grand tourism reopening in Phuket!

IMG_20210701_142953.jpg

Look on the bright side. When he flies back to Khrungthep he will quarantine as per the rules so forget about him for a couple of weeks.........(.....reporting for attitude adjustment)

Given it a couple of weeks and there will be a news announcement.?  saying they had to close again because people will get to confident about bringing in tourism and forget about the virus,  see this happen in many places around the world far too often nowadays  .. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

So where are all the photos of the thousands of people arriving in Phuket?

Next to the photos of the skeletons in the Closet that Anutin has and holds over Prayut's head.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:08 PM, JayClay said:

That actually sounds like the most reasonable statistic I've ever heard from this government on the issue; 70-100,000bt seems a reasonable amount for a 2-3 week holiday.

Of course if they can just manipulate the PCR test cycle count, just a little upward bump on the sensitivity, and - Bingo!  Suddenly your local hospital has an inpatient and perhaps a one million THB wind-fall.  And if you can get a whole family with their friends to pop positive on a PCR?
Come on Big Money!!!

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.fc34d2a27ab2c23fab1392dbcc49bd79.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Of course if they can just manipulate the PCR test cycle count, just a little upward bump on the sensitivity, and - Bingo!  Suddenly your local hospital has an inpatient and perhaps a one million THB wind-fall.  And if you can get a whole family with their friends to pop positive on a PCR?
Come on Big Money!!!

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpeg.fc34d2a27ab2c23fab1392dbcc49bd79.jpeg

For instance, Thonburi Healthcare Group charges patients with mild or no symptoms Bt40,000 for a 14-day stay in a hospitel. If the patient has a serious underlying condition such as heart disease or uncontrollable diabetes, then the bill rises to Bt200,000 on average if they stay in a private room. In serious cases, where ICU care and hospitalization of up to one month is required, the bill may rise to Bt1 million-Bt1.5 million.

Is treatment for COVID-19 really free in Thailand?

21 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Same applies to the Emirates flight from Dubai today. For anybody interested, 163 passengers on board, mainly families and couples (with a few odd balls like me also!). Further, an additional, approximately 100 passengers, postponed last minute yesterday as COE did not arrive in time. FYI only.

And arrivals at Suwarnabhum were down by 163

I remember reading on Richard Barrow's Twitter that if cases in Phuket get above 70 the whole sandbox thing will be cancelled. Is that true or another "fact" that he pulled out of his backside?

Edit: I just googled it and according to the Bangkok Post, the whole thing may be scrapped if cases reach 90 per week in Phuket. With the ineffectiveness of Sinovac and the spread of the Delta variant, it doesn't seem that this sandbox thing is going to last long.

Edited by edwardandtubs

8 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

So where are all the photos of the thousands of people arriving in Phuket?

They didn't even get the new rules into place until a couple of days before the opening.  Hard to arrange some vacation days, a COE, insurance, a hotel room and an international flight in 2-3 days.

Anyone judging the Sandbox on the first few days is like telling a lady her diet isn't working because she's still fat after 2 days of dieting.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Kammie said:

How is it on the ground in Phuket now? Everyone scared of each other afraid to catch the virus and be sent to hospital? Or business as usual with zero %^&* given? Masks everywhere, including outside? Such a strange phenomenon. 

Situation is good. Most people are vaccinated by now. Some areas of Phuket are hit hard, burt Rawai/Nai Harn/Chalong is looks like there never was a pandamic. All shops that sell food can also sell alcohol, so evening are quite busy here in Rawai.

I have to say I'm very pleased with the Thai goverment. Im a 31 YO on a Non O marriage extension and already have received my first jab of AstraZenica  for free from the Thai goverment. Phuket has got its sheit sorted it seems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I remember reading on Richard Barrow's Twitter that if cases in Phuket get above 70 the whole sandbox thing will be cancelled. Is that true or another "fact" that he pulled out of his backside?

Edit: I just googled it and according to the Bangkok Post, the whole thing may be scrapped if cases reach 90 per week in Phuket. With the ineffectiveness of Sinovac and the spread of the Delta variant, it doesn't seem that this sandbox thing is going to last long.

The delta variant and other soon to happen mutations will probably make current vaccines even less effective. In flu seasons, the officials have to guess in advance what the strains will be as they then need time to mass produce the products.  And even then, the flu vaccines are barely 40 % effective.  So continuing all these lockdowns and things are most likely just a waste of time and effort

14 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Great article. Note almost total use of Sinovac ("Coronavac") and deaths after full vaccination,  especially the doctors and nurses !

Over 2 million cases and 57000 deaths there....both probably way under because of no testing or vaccinations.

Sound familiar ?

Reading the  full article you  are overinflating  it somewhat, they have 160k doctors and only a  few  have died, so  far.

2  million cases and 57k death =  about 2.5% death rate

Edited by Rampant Rabbit