Exercise is everything

swissie

As an engineer, Ex Air Force Officer, trained above the All American level in Tae Kwon Do, shot in the 70s in golf, ran cross country, won some college wrestling tournaments, have clean and jerked twice my little body weight at one time, and have in general kept a little bit over the years, but less so the last 5 years when I made the most money in my life, I have been contemplating what to do going forward as I head into non working retirement.  I am now 64.

1:  Keeping one's mind active, not busy, but active can help keep one stable.  Can help keep the brain from turning to mush.  You want some motivation, but yet not too much stress.

2:  Some light stretching and flexibility is important and can prevent some nasty muscle spasms or pulls which heal slowly or poorly as one gets older.

3:  Aerobics is important as it can keep you from breathing too hard and getting exhausted just walking around.  I recommend some long walks often.  They are low muscle and bone stress.  Walking quickly yet not for the purpose of rushing or trying to make some time limit is good.  Walking up some hills or inclines is good if not over done.

4:  Running is less recommended, and jogging is even less recommended.  Jogging tends to just pound the knees and and ankles as it is not a good stride, especially if one is quite a bit heavier than they used to be in high school!

5:  Studies seem to show that 4 or 5 hours of mental activity is the limit in a given day for creative thinking and good for brain stimulation. Having said that, I am leaning to try and find some mental activity of 4 hours every day. I don't mean just surf the internet.  I mean read a book.  Look over the finances.  Buy that introductory calculus book.  Read a book on fun physics from the book store about how things work.  Study some nature things.. whatever.  I am an engineer and like to keep busy but this COVID was a pain and this last job they wanted 4 x 10 hour days.  While having every Friday off sounded nice, and was nice, those 10 hour days were too hard to do.  Work until 6 PM, get home, cook dinner and then go to bed at 10 is not healthy.  Eating too late at night before bedtime.  Not enough time to do much personal.

6:  Back on exercising, I think light weight training is ESSENTIAL.  It keeps the muscles toned.  It stimulated and helps keep bone density which otherwise wastes away as one gets older and just sits in the rocker or reclining chair.  And the aerobic and circulation benefits are fantastic.  Muscle strength can help prevent those falls that happen later in life.

7:  Nutrition.  Better food is probably the easiest thing you can do to keep healthy.  Olive oil and rice and vegetables, and fish and some nuts in your diet.  Fruit.  No processed food.  Not saying that mostly vegetarian diet is the best, although I think it is, you should consider it.  Literally every study shows the benefits, lower weight, less empty calories, lower cholesterol, lower plaque, etc.  Tofu is great in Chinese Hot and Sour Soup.  Sauteed veggies in light olive oil, some fresh cheese now and then, and egg or two for balanced amino acids, etc.. Up to you what you want to pour into your body engine.  

8:  Meditation.  If you are in Thailand, this being an Asian and once Thailand website mostly, I recommend it. Calm the mind.  Forget about today's problems, tomorrow's worries.  Losing stress for 30 minutes a day can do wonders.  Want less, and really believe that you want and need less, while being one of the key precepts of buddhism, whether you believe in it or not, is likely very beneficial,

Wishing all you good people comfort and well being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:40 AM, KannikaP said:

73 years old, never been to a gym or a hospital in my life (except for the snip!) I just get on with what I have to do, up & down stairs, dog walk for 500 metres each day.

Moderate drinker, un-fussy eater. 50 year old wife!

A man is only as old as the woman he feels.
(Graucho Marx)

• Haha 1

Some excellent comments above. There seems to be an emphasis in these comments towards not straining too much. I think that is good advice to a point, and I don't like the idea of doing marathons and the like, but I think you need some heavy weights and some really strenuous exercise if even for 5 and 10 minutes at a time. Can't show that it makes you live longer but just think it makes you feel better to really sweat it out with running or skipping and some heavy weights to keep your muscles strong. Some yoga or stretching good at night for 10 minutes or so.

It feels to me that walking and lifting light weights is good but doesn't do the job in total.

On diet I eat healthy food but other food not so healthy such as too much chocolate and a bit of ice cream. Maybe the issues with my diet is why I need the harder exercise.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Heavyweights wont help you live longer. High strain on heart. Gardening and lifting 10 or 20kg objects is all you need. 

You need to push things a bit don't you. Get the blood flowing. It's fun too. Pottering around the garden  is fine for a bit of a wake up but I don't think it does the job. 

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You need to push things a bit don't you. Get the blood flowing. It's fun too. Pottering around the garden  is fine for a bit of a wake up but I don't think it does the job. 

To build muscle heavy is good for long life no. Powerlifters die young.

Try 60 minutes using a brushcutter. Great for arms and shoulders.

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

To build muscle heavy is good for long life no. Powerlifters die young.

Try 60 minutes using a brushcutter. Great for arms and shoulders.

When I think of it what I do probably isn't far off what you describe. I certainly don't do full on power lifting but just do weights that push me a bit. I have an office job so am already in a high risk thing sitting all day. We had a big storm here recently so cutting wood has been good. 

6 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Whatever your inclination, running, cycling, home gym etc consult an expert or spend the time to find your own limitations

the only problem with "consulting an expert"   ( something i hear constantly on all these health related themes)................... is one has to be an expert to know if someone else is an expert !

i would suggest to all  "take the time to learn to be an expert " .    The person who is successful at this will hopefully realize that what they have learned is what works for them.    When i am looking for ideas...... i am more likely to go to a playground and see who over 60 is out there being physical. The last doctor i went to was on crutches when i went for a visit.  Another was overweight.  And a third smelled of cigarettes.   

Don't even get me started on those "healthy" breakfast cereals !

image.jpeg.3770fa71ec766e53af8bb88c01a46df9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SnowyWiez said:

I like the car analogy. 

1. Genes is the make and model your given

2. Exercise is how you drive it

3. Diet probably the biggest factor is maintaining the fluids and fuel tank. 

Exercise enough to maintain a reasonable weight and strength to do what you enjoy in life. In the end the car will eventually end up in the scrap yard so better enjoy driving it while you can. Moderation probably key so don't end up with a junker too early, same time don't let it stop you pulling the e-brake and drifting a corner now and again. Also someone mentioned earlier exercise doesn't need to be about smashing weights at the gym. Could be something as enjoyable walk with your dog every evening etc.  

Spot on

Need good car

Then dont crash it and use decent fuel and oil. Oil change is fasting.

The basic question in connection with this thread is: What makes us live longer than any generation(s) before? Our Genes haven't gotten any better or worse than those of our ancestors, living 200'000 years ago.

So what could it be?

- Most humans have enough to eat (unlike 150 years ago).
- Most humans don't have to work themselves to death in a coal-mine or on the field (unlike 150 years ago). Boy did they get a lot of exercise!

But the main reason we live longer is due to the phantastic progress of modern medicine. It's mainly the Doctors and the Hospitals that enable us to live longer. Exercise & Diet come in as a distant second and third.

Something to remember along the way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have taken so much inspiration from the many posts here, convincing me to become more "active".

So I bought myself a turtle (with a proper leasch). Now we take daily walks around the block together. The tutle functioning as the "pacemaker" for me. For my circumstances, the turtle rushes ahead with a horrid pace. I constantly heve to remind him to slow down, lest he will be the one that pays for future speeding-tickets.

1 minute ago, swissie said:

The basic question in connection with this thread is: What makes us live longer than any generation(s) before? Our Genes haven't gotten any better or worse than those of our ancestors, living 200'000 years ago.

So what could it be?

- Most humans have enough to eat (unlike 150 years ago).
- Most humans don't have to work themselves to death in a coal-mine or on the field (unlike 150 years ago). Boy did they get a lot of exercise!

But the main reason we live longer is due to the phantastic progress of modern medicine. It's mainly the Doctors and the Hospitals that enable us to live longer. Exercise & Diet come in as a distant second and third.

Something to remember along the way.

Quality of life matters

Living on pills isnt great

So diet does matter at least get minerals you need

19 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

am already in a high risk thing sitting all day.

took me forever ,  but some thread on here led me to look at stretches ( the ones before caused more pain ).       I saw (2 different places)  the simplest stretch of all.   Every 30 minutes or so stand up and put your arms over your head and just reach up and stretch !  I do it 3 times in my own particular style  ???? ????

ok,   its time ????

• Like 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Quality of life matters

Living on pills isnt great

So diet does matter at least get minerals you need

well,  if one chooses to be a turtle.............. I am sure they will be living on pills.   

No problem to me.    But to say that is what is most important (medicine)  ,  well.  no comment

38 minutes ago, olfu said:

Females live longer by average of 10 years.

How you explain this?

Males are the "hunters". Chasing after females. (stressful).
Females comfortably waiting for the hunters. (less stressful).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, olfu said:

Females live longer by average of 10 years.

How you explain this?

Because a female produces her entire lifetime supply of egg cells while still a foetus, typically having 1-2 million at the time of birth.  A male begins producing sperm cells at puberty, and carries on doing so for the rest of his life.  Sex cell production is costly, as it uses up resources that could be employed maintaining other cell types.   

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Some excellent comments above. There seems to be an emphasis in these comments towards not straining too much. I think that is good advice to a point, and I don't like the idea of doing marathons and the like, but I think you need some heavy weights and some really strenuous exercise if even for 5 and 10 minutes at a time. Can't show that it makes you live longer but just think it makes you feel better to really sweat it out with running or skipping and some heavy weights to keep your muscles strong. Some yoga or stretching good at night for 10 minutes or so.

It feels to me that walking and lifting light weights is good but doesn't do the job in total.

On diet I eat healthy food but other food not so healthy such as too much chocolate and a bit of ice cream. Maybe the issues with my diet is why I need the harder exercise.

Good points, but it depends on the goal of the exercise. Most people exercise for good health and wellbeing. However marathon runners don't have this in mind, they run because that's they want to do. They are not after clocking more years in life.

I've seen quite a few trekkers and climbers in the Himalayas in their fifties and sixties in great shape. They exercise way more than a normal person, because being in shape is a matter of life and death to them, living to 80 or 90 is no consideration.

I conscientiously exercise quite a bit more than I need for good health. I paddle alone in open sea for hours, I must be reasonably sure that I can reach the coast in adverse conditions, and If needed can swim at least 4-5 km in bad weather.

Is too much exercise bad for me? Maybe. Do I care? Hell no, better to live ten more years like this than watching how the bamboo grows in the backyard for 50 more years.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1