Emoticons, post numbers , font

phetphet

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

A few things that the admins might want to look at.

Good summary.

The emoticons are in fact "invisible".

You can click/hover/inspect and see the correct link, like for this:

1f621.png

....twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/1f621.png

If you insert it as emoticon, you see this:

????

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

The new font is very hard on the eyes.

Eye sore. I tweaked the font. Zoom anyway (120).

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

post numbers

Completely ignored complaint since ???

25 minutes ago, phetphet said:

When will post numbers in threads be brought back? This was mentioned a while back.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Completely ignored complaint since ???

It will no doubt be ignored forever as they are pretty much useless. They where removed from core code by the developers (not TV) ages ago. There was a 3rd party plugin that restored them. The 3rd party wasn't updated about 2 or 3 major versions back.

The reason they are pretty much useless is posts are "deleted" therefore, the numbers in a busy heated thread very quickly become incorrect as post are deleted. Today's thread on the the name change has had at least a page worth of posts deleted if not more. So if someone references e.g. "post 164 on page 9" their may well be a post 164 on page 9 ... but it's possibly, even likely, to be a totally different post to what the person was trying to refer to.

• Like 1

This morning we had the option to change between two bad fonts.  Now even that option has gone.

Just why do the idiots maintaining sites like this make fonts unreadable. 

I cannot read it even using a chrome extension which makes the font bigger, it just gets fainter.  Lets get back to a BOLD readable font!

PS;  Why can't it be just like the bit I am about to type "Edited just now by fangless" bit below.  I can read that!!

Edited by fangless

2 minutes ago, fangless said:

This morning we had the option to change between two bad fonts.  Now even that option has gone.

Just why do the idiots maintaining sites like this make fonts unreadable. 

I cannot read it even using a chrome extension which makes the font bigger, it just gets fainter.  Lets get back to a BOLD readable font!

Understand and sympathise, our Mods version has disappeared too ! Its awful, but its been reported and is in progress so we are told.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

The reason they are pretty much useless is posts are "deleted" therefore, the numbers in a busy heated thread very quickly become incorrect as post are deleted.

Just that posts in TVF were not deleted but hidden (did I tell a secret?).

Very exceptional that a post would be deleted.

So just gaps in post numbers and potential reference to hidden posts (rare).

But as higher wisdom of developers has decided otherwise so be it.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just that posts in TV were not deleted but hidden (did I tell a secret?).

Very exceptional that a post would be deleted.

So just gaps in post numbers.

Hence my quotes around "deleted", but no, there's no gaps in post numbers to members ... and they are totally different to mods as they see the "deleted" posts. Which was another one of the reasons it got dropped from core code, mods and members seeing different post numbers.

2 hours ago, fangless said:

For now I have used brute force for Firefox. Forcing all websites to Verdana (Win 95 :>).

But not a final solution as e.g. Google News looks strange then.

• Like 1

Emoji are not working* ,and sometimes they are needed in

a post to let others know you are just joking , saves getting

a few offensive  replies  ,please note and fix , 

regards worgeordie   * I can see them but when selected does not move to post.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:24 PM, Salerno said:

It will no doubt be ignored forever as they are pretty much useless. They where removed from core code by the developers (not TV) ages ago. There was a 3rd party plugin that restored them. The 3rd party wasn't updated about 2 or 3 major versions back.

The reason they are pretty much useless is posts are "deleted" therefore, the numbers in a busy heated thread very quickly become incorrect as post are deleted. Today's thread on the the name change has had at least a page worth of posts deleted if not more. So if someone references e.g. "post 164 on page 9" their may well be a post 164 on page 9 ... but it's possibly, even likely, to be a totally different post to what the person was trying to refer to.

Aren't they hidden rather than deleted so the number should remain? 

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Aren't they hidden rather than deleted so the number should remain? 

The numbers for members are still consecutive, for mods also consecutive i.e. confusing. A member may see a thread with 120 posts in it, in reality there may have been 142 posts made which the mods see.

Posts are automatically renumbered when the page is rendered so as mentioned before, if you referenced post 96 there is no way to know if 96 will still be the same post you meant to reference in the future.

Good point. To obtain the permanently valid reference to a specific post without using the Quote function, 

– tap on the three horizontal dots at the top of the post

– tap on Share 

– double-click on the link 

– tap on Copy 

– paste the link in your post

It's a bit labourious, but I don't see an easier way of doing it.

@Maestro Quick fix for the emojis while sorting the theme out if interested, add the following to the theme custom CSS (or edit the theme CSS). Slight negative impact on the emoji chooser popup (makes them bigger) but ok for display in the post ????????????

img.ipsEmoji {height: 2.25em; width: auto; margin: 0 0.3em; vertical-align: -0.8em;}

----

Screenshot of this post how I see it:

Emoticons-post-numbers-font-Forum-Support-Desk-ASEAN-NOW-formerly-Thai-Visa-Forum.png.06e4b43dc9ab5dc5b282b4300aac10f7.png

Edited by Salerno
Added screenshot

8 hours ago, Salerno said:

@Maestro Quick fix for the emojis while sorting the theme out if interested, add the following to the theme custom CSS (or edit the theme CSS). Slight negative impact on the emoji chooser popup (makes them bigger) but ok for display in the post ????????????

img.ipsEmoji {height: 2.25em; width: auto; margin: 0 0.3em; vertical-align: -0.8em;}

----

Screenshot of this post how I see it:

Emoticons-post-numbers-font-Forum-Support-Desk-ASEAN-NOW-formerly-Thai-Visa-Forum.png.06e4b43dc9ab5dc5b282b4300aac10f7.png

Wrong address. I don't do CSS and em, and I am not particularly fond of emojis.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, Crossy said:

Emojis (all of them) should be back, if you don't see them please clear your cache and try again, if still not visible please post here ???? 

Still not visible. Just tried add ing one to a post.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Still not visible. Just tried add ing one to a post.

Thanks, I've had other members reporting the same thing, what do you get when you click on the "smiley" icon, please post a screenshot.

Also, what device, OS and browser are you using?

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks, I've had other members reporting the same thing, what do you get when you click on the "smiley" icon, please post a screenshot.

Also, what device, OS and browser are you using?

I am using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari Browser. I just get a small yellow line as you can see in the screenshot.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 14.02.44.png

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

I am using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 and Safari Browser. I just get a small yellow line as you can see in the screenshot.

Yeah, that's what we were getting before, can you try another browser? Or clear your cache?