Dystopian blues anyone?

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

0.3% is few deaths. People who were most likely going to die soon anyway. Its 0.02% inder 50yos. Pre existing conditions.To 

The low death rates are percentage based ie lockdowns didnt cause it.

Logic says lockdowns are illogical.

To be fair, everyone is going to die soon, but that is no defence in murder trials, nor should it be in epidemiology.

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

To be fair, everyone is going to die soon, but that is no defence in murder trials, nor should it be in epidemiology.

Not true. The average 10yo should live for another 80 years.

The average 90yo is knocking on the door. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Factories pollute a lot. Ban them. Heck ban everything except water.

We need factories.  We don't need cars.  
Relatively few people get killed by being hit by factories.  The same is not so much true of cars.
I agree with you that factories should pose no risk or minimal risk to the public outside their land, and the same should be true of people's cars.  On their own land, that is their business.  But they should not be allowed on the public road.  I think we are in complete agreement there.

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

Relatively few people get killed by being hit by factories.  The same is not so much true of cars.
I agree with you that factories should pose no risk or minimal risk to the public outside their land, and the same should be true of people's cars.  On their own land, that is their business.  But they should not be allowed on the public road.  I think we are in complete agreement there.

Walk? Horses?

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not true. The average 10yo should live for another 80 years.

The average 90yo is knocking on the door. 

But that does not make it OK to kill 90-year olds.  Not in most countries.

I am not sure why you think that the average 10 year old should live for 80 years,  That is putting quite a burden on them.  As far as I am concerned, they can live as long as they want, and it is no business of mine.  

It is glaringly obvious we should concentrate on ”years lost” over deaths. 

Average age worldwide might be 80, or whatever it is, doesn’t matter. If we lose a 20 year old, that is 6 times worse than losing a 70 year old. 

If someone wants to calculate numbers that way for covid, we all essentially start living normal lives again, as opposed to the 20 days later exaggerated hell we live in now. 

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Yup - I take it you mean trucks too ?

So no food deliveries to major cities, and no way for people who live outside them to get to the city ?

No ambulances for people who have a heart attack ?

No way to get to work ? So no jobs, so no money, so no food, so starve to death ?

Have you ever considered running for public office ?

9 hours ago, sucit said:

Average age worldwide might be 80, or whatever it is, doesn’t matter. If we lose a 20 year old, that is 6 times worse than losing a 70 year old. 

That's assuming the 20 yo was a productive member of society.

The 20yo may have been as worthless as the 70yo, in which case the loss is the same.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Channel 9 news? Oh dear.

The official data on delta is its milder. 0.3%.

Is channel 9 a government controlled station?

I don't watch any local tv channels anyway, as far too boring and far too many ads, and I don't listen to ads on radio.

I do watch CNN, Fox, BBC and Al Jazira, so I get a fairly good idea of what is going on worldwide re infections, but I usually change the channel when the corona talking heads start pontificating.

For Thailand I read stuff about it on this forum, though I tend to ignore the posts that encourage slavish obedience to whatever the latest government fad is.

So far of course, NZ has zero corona in the general community, though I am seriously concerned when the government keeps wanting to re open the quarantine less travel arrangement with Australia. Some of the NZ people that went to Australia while it was in operation are now trapped there since travel was stopped. Hopefully less will go next time they attempt to let infected Australians travel around NZ, as happened last time.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is channel 9 a government controlled station?

I don't watch any local tv channels anyway, as far too boring and far too many ads, and I don't listen to ads on radio.

I do watch CNN, Fox, BBC and Al Jazira, so I get a fairly good idea of what is going on worldwide re infections, but I usually change the channel when the corona talking heads start pontificating.

All news broadcasters are tightly controlled by the security forces of the countries in which they operate. This is how the western world works.

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am not sure why you think that the average 10 year old should live for 80 years,  That is putting quite a burden on them.  As far as I am concerned, they can live as long as they want, and it is no business of mine.  

I'm not aware of anyone wanting to go and actually infect old people on purpose.

Old people can be quarantined more easily than the entire population, and as many don't work any more, isolating them has little effect on the economy, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

All news broadcasters are tightly controlled by the security forces of the countries in which they operate. This is how the western world works.

I sort of assumed that anyway, but they can control the local channels as much as they like as I don't watch them as too boring and waaaaaay too many ads.

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I would like to agree with you about private cars. IMO they have become a monster requiring ever increasing roads that destroy vast areas of land, and restrict those that don't want to drive.

Unfortunately in a country that doesn't have a decent public transport service, private cars are in the essential category.

I do hate going into the city now, as the traffic is appalling, because they can't afford to build elevated roads. It's as bad as Bkk now and that's only in the past 10 years or so.

Two good alternatives.  
We could make our own in lieu of factories as well, but for microprocessors, that might be difficult.

Don't need microprocessors.

Human race managed without machine computers for all but the last 76 years or so. Can do so again.

• Thanks 1

LOL. I don't think many live as long as they want. I don't know the stats, but IMO most die of other things than old age, ergo most of us have no control as to how long we live.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I don't think many live as long as they want.

I've managed to live 13 years longer than I wanted, and still going .........

Since my Brit divorce my life has had no direction and no purpose.

I've found it impossible to get past the realization that women don't want us and merely use us, and that the love of a woman for a man is just a Hollywood fantasy.

I absolutely wish I'd died 6-12 months before the divorce and my discovery of reality.

Edited by BritManToo

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately in a country that doesn't have a decent public transport service, private cars are in the essential category.

I often though if I were the supreme being (in any country), I would ban the private ownership of cars. Make everyone live within walking distance of their work, same as it was before 1900. Bicycles and maybe scooters allowed, but that's it.

The world would be a better place.

Don't get me going on the forcible redistribution of land (from the state, church, aristocracy, charitable foundations, corporations, wealthy), and restricting the property one person can own (one dwelling per person).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've managed to live 13 years longer than I wanted, and still going .........

Since my Brit divorce my life has had no direction and no purpose.

I've found it impossible to get past the realization that women don't want us and merely use us, and that the love of a woman for a man is just a Hollywood fantasy.

I absolutely wish I'd died 6-12 months before the divorce and my discovery of reality.

I was only 35 when I walked out on my nasty first partner, but I often wish she had died before I left her, as my life would have been immensely better now if she hadn't got my house. I'd have rented it out till I needed it 2 years ago.

However, I was similar to you after my marriage ended, as life outside LOS sucks, and having to leave was a direct result of her making me divorce her.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I often though if I were the supreme being (in any country), I would ban the private ownership of cars. Make everyone live within walking distance of their work, same as it was before 1900. Bicycles and maybe scooters allowed, but that's it.

The world would be a better place.

Don't get me going on the forcible redistribution of land (from the state, church, aristocracy, charitable foundations, corporations, wealthy), and restricting the property one person can own (one dwelling per person).

IMO ALL land should be owned by the state and land tax would replace income tax. Just divide the needed amount of money to run the country by square meters of land and charge everyone by the meters occupied. Ie rich people that want to live on a big area of land would pay heaps more than someone living on a small plot.

Farmers would only pay tax on the amount of land their houses occupy, as the state would own the rest of the land.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Farmers would only pay tax on the amount of land their houses occupy, as the state would own the rest of the land.

Sadly no state can be trusted, under your proposal rich people and government officials would all end up being pretend farmers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sadly no state can be trusted, under your proposal rich people and government officials would all end up being pretend farmers.

The way of the world - some are wolves, most are sheep.

When I was young every neighborhood had all essential services available locally - grocery, butcher, laundry and dry cleaning, barber shops, etc.

I remember when the first shopping mall was built, and the first houses built in suburbia.

This spelled the end for all those Mom and Pop places, and required the ownership of a car.

Miles from nowhere. Built on farm land they bought cheap, put in sewer and water, and built cheapo houses which they sold for a small fortune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

So no food deliveries to major cities, and no way for people who live outside them to get to the city ?

No way to get to work ? So no jobs, so no money, so no food, so starve to death ?

Population control lol

Too many people for no cars.

Bad drivers the problem.

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Just cars.  Get the cars off the road, and the buses will run to time, and truck deliveries will take less time.
VIPs could use pedal-cars.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO ALL land should be owned by the state and land tax would replace income tax.

As a landowner, it always felt that way... due to taxes the land never belonged to me because if they wanted it back all they had to do was raise the tax... 

• Like 1