Involuntary Quarantine on Arrival

FangFerang

so you were simply traveling domestically and they made you quarantine?  I know some provinces had such policies to enter before but I have seen people posting on Youtub recently that have been driving up that way.  Was it really because you came from Bangkok or just because BKK

one would hope the airlines would be notified of the 'rules' and then make the passengers aware before boarding the plane (or making the reservation !).  i know i and several members of the forum have been wondering about the 'rules'.  i'd like to visit buriram sometime in august, i'm hoping my pfizer vaccine certificate from USA will help me get through the airport gauntlet. 

12 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

so you were simply traveling domestically and they made you quarantine?  I know some provinces had such policies to enter before but I have seen people posting on Youtub recently that have been driving up that way.  Was it really because you came from Bangkok or just because BKK

It would almost certainly have been the case if coming from Bangkok but it might also be if transiting through BKK. I've copied and below a comment I pasted regarding the Phuket sandbox as it's relevant.

It's all a bit confusing isn't it. I was planning to return via Phuket with my wife joining me for part of the time but it seems she would have to quarantine at home in Mahasarakham when she returned. Her director comes from Chanthaburi but isn't going back to see his wife since he'd have to quarantine at both ends. I think my wife said there was someone who lives in Khon Kaen who goes back and forth but I don't know why.

I've no idea how or if they police this as in this case it's quarantine at home so I don't know why the OP is in a hotel. I think some of the increased price is due to having to provide three meals a day and covid testing but as always there are differences in how this is run.

• Confused 1

There was a prior time when the Ministry of Interior in TH and then the Tourism Authority of TH were keeping updated lists of the quarantine and other restrictions on domestic / province to province travel...  But in looking now, I don't see that TAT has updated anything on that for a long while.

The problem typically with such policies in Thailand is the farang domestic traveler has no idea what the rules are going to be for going to any particular destination. Udon Thani may be doing one thing with arrivals, but Khon Kaen something else, and Hua Hin something else still.  It's enough to make a person crazy!

• Like 2

You would that thought the op's new employer would have informed him of the changes as they were posted on this forum last Monday

And according to this post 8 people postive yesterday from a single Bangkok bus

• Like 2

This was published a while ago, but it's hard to keep track of all these ever-changing local regulations.

I think that the airlines should be required to warn domestic travelers what they are getting themselves into.

Best of luck to the OP and thanks for sharing this experience.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, impulse said:

I wonder how much they're getting for fake vaccine certificates at Khao San Road?

I don't know about non-Thai issued vax certificates but the ones issued by MoPH in Thailand have Batch No. & Serial number and personal ID No. all linked to bar code and QR which could be easily checked by govt folks if so desired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

This was published a while ago, but it's hard to keep track of all these ever-changing local regulations.

I think that the airlines should be required to warn domestic travelers what they are getting themselves into.

Best of luck to the OP and thanks for sharing this experience.

It's foolish to travel to a province without asking entry requirements. All Thais know that. 

If you don't know whom to ask call TAT in that province,  they will know whom to ask. Many provinces have covid hotlines. 

But in the end, you have to have your Thai partner (or whoever you are going to visit in that province) ask Phuyai baan and OSM อ.ส.ม. village health volunteers/the local health center อนามัย. 

If you don't have any Thai in that province you shouldn't be going anyway. 

For OP,  it would have been his new employer. 

I'm in the midst of ASQ in BKK after having returned from Europe last week. I have a booking for a flight to my final destination which is CNX, but I did read some rumours that upon arrival at CNX, they will force me into another quarantine or at least 14 days house arrest. All this after I will check out from here next week, holding a confirmation that I have completed 14 days ASQ and been tested negative for Covid-19. Although it's a 9 hours drive down and up again, I have asked my Thai wife to arrange a commuter to pick me up here in BKK, and she will come along. I hate no-shows for booked flights, but I will advise Thai Smile after departure by bus that I will not fly. I have not found any competent source to reliably advise me what the present rules for domestic travelling are after completion of ASQ and 3 negative tests. Looking forward to be home again next week, and will most likely not travel ever again as long this pandemic is dominating, and the government has zero ideas how to manage the crisis, or communicate in a proper way. Main thing for them is that their Sandbox party in Phuket was nice.

• Like 1

Beware of #ThaiVietJetAir and their UDON THANI flights.

Without a vaccine, completely administered at least four weeks before, it is mandatory quarantine! This newest fart came with compliments of the local chieftain!

As Thailand started vaccinating 7 June for the first day, observing at least 4 weeks between first and second jab, the earliest date of flying to Udon would be 2 August 2021!

No pop-up, warning etc. when I booked my wife, my grandson and myself two days ago. The mandatory quarantine was known to them and their Udon-staff already but not to the general public - when I booked. The public relation department covers the government but not the erratic wet dreams of individual provincial head clowns who, quite obviously, have not clue what they are talking about in the first place! 

We cannot fly, shall miss grandson's birthday and he cannot spend his six weeks summer break with us.  #ThaiVietJetAir refuses to credit as they did not created the rule - correct. But as they MUST HAVE KNOWN beforehand, for once a pop-up other than crappy meals, excess luggage or seat selection would have avoided a lot for frustration and financial loss to the passengers; we just toasted thousands of Baht - never again #ThaiVietJetAir!

Customer service is an attitude and not a department - a message quite clearly not understood by #ThaiVietJetAir.
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 5:53 AM, asiam110 said:

That's absolutely insane.

>he was unruly as only arrogance can manifest

Understandably, it's difficult to normalize in any way  the absolute stupidity of putting asymptomatic people in close quarantine together that have traveled only domestically, it sounds like a recipe for disaster if one of you is actually incubating covid after all. Wow

Obviously " Elite Visa Holders " cannot be infected or contagious......

2 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

I'm in the midst of ASQ in BKK after having returned from Europe last week. I have a booking for a flight to my final destination which is CNX, but I did read some rumours that upon arrival at CNX, they will force me into another quarantine or at least 14 days house arrest. All this after I will check out from here next week, holding a confirmation that I have completed 14 days ASQ and been tested negative for Covid-19. Although it's a 9 hours drive down and up again, I have asked my Thai wife to arrange a commuter to pick me up here in BKK, and she will come along. I hate no-shows for booked flights, but I will advise Thai Smile after departure by bus that I will not fly. I have not found any competent source to reliably advise me what the present rules for domestic travelling are after completion of ASQ and 3 negative tests. Looking forward to be home again next week, and will most likely not travel ever again as long this pandemic is dominating, and the government has zero ideas how to manage the crisis, or communicate in a proper way. Main thing for them is that their Sandbox party in Phuket was nice.

I wish you a nice trip and ' holiday ', very sad and disappointing all this..... 

23 hours ago, Lorry said:

It's foolish to travel to a province without asking entry requirements. All Thais know that. 

If you don't know whom to ask call TAT in that province,  they will know whom to ask. Many provinces have covid hotlines. 

But in the end, you have to have your Thai partner (or whoever you are going to visit in that province) ask Phuyai baan and OSM อ.ส.ม. village health volunteers/the local health center อนามัย. 

If you don't have any Thai in that province you shouldn't be going anyway. 

For OP,  it would have been his new employer. 

Surely TAT is the one to ask,NOT....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

do you mean shot, plucked and roasted

But now that you mention it there have been many occasions where I felt like being a bird (chicken) like this.

Edited by SomchaiCNX