Dog poisoned

FrequentStops

So this morning walking with the wife’s dog. Get to a road junction and turn to wait for him (he covers about 4km if I am walking 1). He is running to me when all of sudden he goes down. I go back to him and his legs are twitching a bit and then he passes while I am calling my wife.

This dog was tough, I will guess about 25lbs, 5 years old. My wife thinks the folks just down the road from where I was walking put out poison. But that means it is acting very quickly, probably within 2-3 minutes.  Is this likely? I am concerned maybe there is something poisonous not stored properly on wife’s farm, which is about 10 minutes walk away and where dog and I started out.

FWIW we are walking here many times before without incident.

I am not a dog person nor a Thai farmer so don’t even know what is available to poison rodents or ??? here.

Any ideas on what a dog might get into by accident on a farm that would poison it in 10 minutes or less?

• Sad 4

Mostly dog poison could be strychnine that lead to spinal seizure (awake seizure) what I found in human. Another poison pesticide that harmful to dog is carbamate insecticide which is methomyl, it can be white or blue powder that show cholinergic signs or could not see clearly hypersecretion but soon cardiac arrest what I also found in human. This carbamate can find from gastric content and low blood cholinesterase enzyme.

Over the years I've had two dogs drop dead suddenly, similar to what the OP described.  One bounded up the stairs and collapsed at the top.  Another was simply trotting happily in the yard and dropped to the ground, dead instantly.  Heart attacks both, but both were old dogs, 14 & 17.

• Like 1

Snake bites will be visible usually and the dog should be still conscious for a while . Had two dogs bitten by cobras , one died other just survived. Rat poison would take a bit longer and would produce a lot of foam usually around the mouth and it’s a slow painful death.

Quite possibly just heart problems. My 5 year old husky died from this and was perfectly fine and walked in the house past me and turned around and walked about 5m before collapsing on the floor looking similar to a human having a stroke . Just lay there pretty much motionless but alive and slowly heart just stopped over a minute or two. Perfectly healthy dog with zero problems ever and just like that died . I looked it up and it happens quite a bit , but is a shock to owners obviously . I wanted to get her examined to find out the cause but the vet said it would be 20-30000bht to do all checks , but he thought most likely heart just gave out .

Well vented muzzle will stop dogs eating meat etc left around when out walking and the dog can still breathe freely .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Natural causes. Go buy another. 

Heart conditions are the biggest cause of sudden death in dogs. Blood clots, abnormal heart rhythms, cardiomyopathy can all cause sudden death. It's important to have your dog checked by a veterinarian routinely, even if there are no signs of illness. ... Not all heart conditions can be caught this way, but some can.

I had a dog that had seizures and would foam at the mouth when having one.  Perhaps some kind of seizure.

But there was a video not too long ago showing a dog sniffing a guys tire and something happened and it keeled over and died almost instantly.  Sounds similar to yours.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ronster said:

Snake bites will be visible usually and the dog should be still conscious for a while . Had two dogs bitten by cobras , one died other just survived.

My friend's big black Lab was bitten on his belly by a Cobra last month on June 15th and died about fifteen minutes later as he was being rushed to the vet.

In fact, there was a Cobra in my front-yard a few months ago that got withing two feet of my left ankle. A shovel quickly crushed its head and it ended up being someone's dinner. 

• Like 2

Probably too late to do much now, but if that were me, I would take the body to my vet and try to discover cause of death - then hopefully I don't spend the rest of my life speculating and possibly laying blame where it doesn't belong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Imagine having to live next to a house with several huskies locked in small cages that are howling and barking loudly day and night for months on end and the neighbour not giving a dam about it.

You have a great imagination. However it has nothing to do with the dogs or what happened. I doubt the owner will comment, although, yes,  he is a TV member.  I believe he is still rather bitter about it.

Edited by Dcheech

14 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

The lack of any laws that deal with noisy or aggressive neighbourhood dogs means people can be driven to extreme stress by their neighbours barking dogs and are powerless to do anything. 

Not true. You go to your Tessaban and report the problem. They will take action if their warnings aren't adhered to. 

Tessaban - Or tessebaan (municipality) is the local government administrative body of a village, town, or city in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Neighbour lost a dog in a similar way and it was attributed to the dog eating a poisonous frog, which it vomited out but still died Not quick though took a day poor mut.

Sadly there is also a neighbour notorous for taking out any dogs that annoy him, but no one has caught him in the act. Just one more thing we have to live with. Two died on the same day not too long ago.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Keep activate charcoal on hand.  Our dogs don't run (I have 7 of them) but the do guard the perimeter of the property - viciously.
I keep activated charcoal on hand in case some ***-wipe decides to poison the dogs in an attempt to enter the property.  Honestly don't think that will happen but I keep it around just in case.  You can find guidelines via an internet search.

Impossible to know what killed the dog without an autopsy.

Dogs are garbage guts, they will eat anything if it looks remotely edible. Keeping a dog on a lead is the best method of prevention.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Keeping a dog on a lead is the best method of prevention.

There can be no prevention to stop dogs getting poisoned. Poisoned meat can be logged over your garden wall at any time. I lost 2 Cocker Spaniels to poisoning when my house was broken into.