Dog poisoned

FrequentStops

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Dunno why, but all snakes mentioned in this tread seem to Cobras. In Thailand there are 234 species of snakes. Strange that. Just saying like. Are Cobras attracted to dogs?

Most likely snake to stand their ground and attack if provoked when trying to get away I would think . Any other non venomous or mildly venomous snakes I have seen tend to be quick and make an exit rather than confront the dog.

I tried to help a Thai neighbor who's dog was poisoned, it had blue foam coming out of it's mouth. I was told that was because one of the most common poisons is rat poison, of which the most common color is blue. 

Personally, I hope that it died of natural causes.

Sorry for your loss.

1 hour ago, Lee4Life said:

I tried to help a Thai neighbor who's dog was poisoned, it had blue foam coming out of it's mouth.

Poster all seem to jump to the conclusion that when an animal/dog froths at the mouth that it's because it's been poisoned. If they care to stretch their intelligence a little more they will find out why a animal/dog froths at the mouth, other than by poison. For some reason rat poison is jumped on as being the main cause. I don't believe anyone has mentioned rabies.

Usual causes of dogs early death.

Rabies

Physical Activity

Stress or Anxiety

Illness

Dental Issues etc etc

On 7/3/2021 at 10:14 PM, mickyr55 said:

But don't you find it's a little inconvenient carrying a shovel around all the time. 

That was hilarious, mickyr55! You should tell your jokes on stage, as I'm sure you'd soon have a good supply of fresh fruit and veggies,

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:48 PM, connda said:

I'll have to ask the vet if they have any cobra anti-venom for dogs as it's a 35 minute trip to the vet if I'm breaking the speed limit.  Anti-venom would be a good addition to activated charcoal.

I asked my friend about that and he told me the Thais pretty much keep their anti-venom serum under lock-and-key. So, please let me know what you find out.

You have to know exactly which species of snake bit the patient - and administer the correct antivenene.  

4 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Every snake has different venim, so how does that work????

In South Eastern  Australia our main snakes were Tigers,Black & Brown Snakes. 

A multitalented antivenene will cover all 3 , Tiger snake antivenene covers Tiger & Black snakes. 

Brown snake antivenene treats Eastern Brown snake only.

A vial of antivenene contains enough anti venom to inactivate one average snake bite - so if the patient is bitten multiple times, then multiple vials must be given. It is not simple cause & effect stuff!

I would imagine that the local Cobra antivenene would be most useful here, but I would have no idea if it protects against the different types of Cobras, & not much use against vipers etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, G Rex said:

You have to know exactly which species of snake bit the patient - and administer the correct antivenene.  

In South Eastern  Australia our main snakes were Tigers,Black & Brown Snakes. 

A multitalented antivenene will cover all 3 , Tiger snake antivenene covers Tiger & Black snakes. 

Brown snake antivenene treats Eastern Brown snake only.

A vial of antivenene contains enough anti venom to inactivate one average snake bite - so if the patient is bitten multiple times, then multiple vials must be given. It is not simple cause & effect stuff!

I would imagine that the local Cobra antivenene would be most useful here, but I would have no idea if it protects against the different types of Cobras, & not much use against vipers etc.

That's exactly my point, and as such I don't think it's possible to order these products on Lazada or similar. The 'antivene' center is in Bkk, maybe also have regional ones but not sure.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, G Rex said:

A lay person buying a dose of antivenene to have on hand in case he needs it , is a bit like me carrying a spare gearbox in the back of my car in case I need it.

Useless because I cannot install it myself ????????

do you think that we need to study to do a muscle injection ?!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Working sorta like an Antibiotic with large spectrum?????

Snake venoms contain many different compounds, and these vary by species of snake. Some compounds affect the nervous system - neurotoxins , some kill cells - cytotoxins , which damage the liver or kidney tissue as the body attempts to metabolise and excrete the toxin, and some others are haemotoxins - which can affect  blood cells, stop blood clotting or affect blood pressure regulation. 

It is nasty stuff!  In South Eastern Australia, where I came from, almost all of our local snakes were venomous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t see many insecticides being used, if any, in parts I am familiar with. Did you happen to notice any neighbors working on cars or farm equipment? Coolant is usually green or red and I’ve always heard very poisonous for dogs. 

people eat rats in isaan so I just don’t see the rat poison thing. It’s not impossible but that’s usually not how they roll out there

Edited by utalkin2me

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was told to feed my dog raw eggs and cooking oil if it was poisoned. 

When my dogs got poisoned salt /water via syringe worked, dog will vomit, then gave them a few raw eggs.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Firstly you have to make sure 100% that you dog has been poisoned. Only a vet can confirm that. My current dog froths at the mouth every time she gets a treat of deep fried chicken carcass. She looks as if she's been poisoned.

Also I once had a Boxer and her mouth ran with saliva when receiving a peeled banana. Dogs love bananas. So first course of action is to confirm the poisoning. 

On 7/13/2021 at 2:07 PM, Neeranam said:

I was told to feed my dog raw eggs and cooking oil if it was poisoned. 

You were told wrong. Raw eggs contain salmonella and dogs are very susceptible to it, even in small amounts, and it can cause serious stomach problems. Cooked eggs are fine but they won't help.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, colinneil said:

When my dogs got poisoned salt /water via syringe worked, dog will vomit, then gave them a few raw eggs.

Both rubbish advice. Salt is not good for dogs and shouldn't be used to induce vomiting. 

Unfortunately, there is no specific treatment for saltwater poisoning in dogs. Your veterinarian will attempt to restore your dog's water and electrolyte balance to normal levels. Lowering sodium levels too quickly, however, can be dangerous, increasing the likelihood of cerebral edema (fluid on the brain).

The best way to help your dog if, as I said, 100% proven to have been poisoned, if unable to get to a vet, is to force Hydrogen Peroxide down its throat. And then take it to a vet as a follow up.

Make sure you have a 3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution. Higher concentrations are toxic and can cause serious damage. Administer the proper amount: the suggested dosage is 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of the dog's body weight by mouth, with a maximum dose of 3 tablespoons for dogs who weigh more than 45 pounds.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Firstly you have to make sure 100% that you dog has been poisoned. Only a vet can confirm that. My current dog froths at the mouth every time she gets a treat of deep fried chicken carcass. She looks as if she's been poisoned.

Also I once had a Boxer and her mouth ran with saliva when receiving a peeled banana. Dogs love bananas. So first course of action is to confirm the poisoning. 

You were told wrong. Raw eggs contain salmonella and dogs are very susceptible to it, even in small amounts, and it can cause serious stomach problems. Cooked eggs are fine but they won't help.

Both rubbish advice. Salt is not good for dogs and shouldn't be used to induce vomiting. 

The best way to help your dog if, as I said, 100% proven to have been poisoned, if unable to get to a vet, is to force Hydrogen Peroxide down its throat. And then take it to a vet as a follow up.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

My dogs got poisoned, given salt in water by me, vomited got rid of the poison, are running around outside as i type so clearly it works.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

My dogs got poisoned, given salt in water by me, vomited got rid of the poison, are running around outside as i type so clearly it works.

May it just wasn't poisoning your dog was suffering from? Did you get it confirmed by a veterinarian? 

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If they recovered, no need to take to a vet. 

Of course there is. Firstly to identify the poison, which may cause long term add on conditions, and secondly to restore  his dog's water and electrolyte balance to normal levels after sticking a salt solution down its throat.. Thirdly to ensure it doesn't have salmonella poisoning after being fed raw eggs. Google is your friend.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Of course there is. Firstly to identify the poison, which may cause long term add on conditions, and secondly to restore  his dog's water and electrolyte balance to normal levels after sticking a salt solution down its throat.. Thirdly to ensure it doesn't have salmonella poisoning after being fed raw eggs.

You are joking, I hope. It's a dog, not a person.