Dog poisoned

FrequentStops

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

There can be no prevention to stop dogs getting poisoned. Poisoned meat can be logged over your garden wall at any time. I lost 2 Cocker Spaniels to poisoning when my house was broken into.

I was talking about people who let their dogs off lead, or don't even have one.

I have yet to see a dog in Thailand so well trained  it will automatically come to heel, and reject any food that is not given to it by its master. It would be like finding a unicorn.

Maybe unintentional poisoning. 

One of our dogs brought a plastic Pepsi bottle full of rancid oil.  Probably left from workers in the rice field.  He was coverd in oil.  We cleaned him off.  If he had injested a large amount Im sure it could've been lethal.

I'm afraid some people are just pure evil. My dog and also two soi dogs that we cared for were poisoned within 3 days on waste ground next to our complex. My dog was walking on a lead and must have eaten some of the poison unnoticed.. Got home but she collapsed, foaming, paralysed, etc. Didn't even reach the vets. A fourth dog also was found dead by a neighbour. Very obvious killing of soi dogs for no reason and mine got caught in the nastiness. . The few soi dogs we have are quiet and peaceful. It was truly terrible. If I could have found who the person was I might have had to pay the police a large amount of money afterwards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

My friend's big black Lab was bitten on his belly by a Cobra last month on June 15th and died about fifteen minutes later as he was being rushed to the vet.

In fact, there was a Cobra in my front-yard a few months ago that got withing two feet of my left ankle. A shovel quickly crushed its head and it ended up being someone's dinner. 

But don't you find it's a little inconvenient carrying a shovel around all the time. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have yet to see a dog in Thailand so well trained  it will automatically come to heel, and reject any food that is not given to it by its master. It would be like finding a unicorn.

Not true . You can buy Dobermans already trained from a breeder up north. 

• Like 2

My friend's big black Lab was bitten on his belly by a Cobra last month on June 15th and died about fifteen minutes later as he was being rushed to the vet.

In fact, there was a Cobra in my front-yard a few months ago that got withing two feet of my left ankle. A shovel quickly crushed its head and it ended up being someone's dinner. 

Yeah my dogs had killed a few before but this was about 7ft long and very thick body. Vet said the dog that got bit first most likely got most of the venom and died . Second spent night in dog ICU and was told he would suffer liver and kidney problems through life. He’s still going at 13 yr old and the idiot got bit 6 weeks after the first bite , but was lucky it was only a juvenile about 2ft long. Still cost me a fortune at the vet ! 

• Like 1

Cobras are a fact of life.  In our household the score is
Dogs - 2
Cobras - 0

That could change.  Now that you've brought it up, my youngest male is at the vet having his cajones chopped off.  I'll have to ask the vet if they have any cobra anti-venom for dogs as it's a 35 minute trip to the vet if I'm breaking the speed limit.  Anti-venom would be a good addition to activated charcoal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Cobras are a fact of life.  In our household the score is
Dogs - 2
Cobras - 0

That could change.  Now that you've brought it up, my youngest male is at the vet having his cajones chopped off.  I'll have to ask the vet if they have any cobra anti-venom for dogs as it's a 35 minute trip to the vet if I'm breaking the speed limit.  Anti-venom would be a good addition to activated charcoal.

The anti venom must be administered slowly intravenously , after the patient is premedicated  with steroid, antihistamine & adrenaline - so I would suggest you just drive to vet faster!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Poor snake just going about its natural business slithering about and wherever and it gets killed for that.

As for the poor dog the following extract from an online article:

Dog owners often jump to conclusions in these cases -- “Somebody poisoned my dog!” -- when in reality malicious poisonings are extremely uncommon and most of those suspected are inadvertent exposures. The causes found by pathologists involved:

• Cardiac disease
  • Gastrointestinal disease
  • Unobserved trauma
  • Poisoning and infection (less common)

If one wants to know how the dog died, it could be referred to a veterenarian to perform an autopsy.

Edited by userabcd

OP - as others have said here - acute death like this could most likely be attributed to cardiovascular issues - ‘heart attack’ or aneurysm . Snake bite could cause rapid death if the dog is bitten around the muzzle or mouth, as an overwhelming volume of venom can be absorbed quickly. I have seen this multiple times in my practice in Australia.

I can think of no poison that will cause such rapid death. Organophosphates , carbamates, rodenticides, strychnine and 1080 will cause death - but never this quickly.  You would not expect clinical signs for at least 30 minutes after ingestion - and death would be more drawn out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If one gets out and attacks me off your property, you are going to compensate me for my injuries?

I don't agree with poisoning dogs, but I do have a dislike of irresponsible owners.

Dogs are territorial

I have 4 on my property, they are guard dogs pets snake an rat killers 

• You walk by or come to the gate, they bark its their job!
  • You come over the fence unannounced  they will be cross! you will be in trouble
  • You get invited in, if you have no food or show them no fuss they will most likely  ignore you

I am only farang in my area my dogs never go off my property....

But its countryside and beach where i live there must 100 dog living rough in about 3 mile area so much more chance in getting chased by one of them, but that's nothing to do with me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

One is my dogs is like that.  Never leaves my side. Won't go up to other people and does not trust them to take food from people it does not know.  However her sister is the complete opposite and will always want to get pat's and free food off anyone. 

Neither ever jump up though, or bite.  

Wife put snail pellets around  yard before,one of our dogs ate them, had convulsions, died within  minutes of doing so. Another time a Thai neighbour  put some greenish coloured poison around, mixed with  meat, a stray dog was seen to eat it,    ran around like crazy for a few minutes, then poor thing died as well. I dont speak to him now,  still speak to the wife.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Not a dog person? 

I am a dog person, and a cat person.

Keeping a dog in Thailand is too heart-breaking for me, we've lost two, and disease is rife in the soi dog population. No way you can stop dogs from mixing socially, unless they are fenced off at all times. Which is unfair, unless you have seven like you do.

1 hour ago, ronster said:

Not true . You can buy Dobermans already trained from a breeder up north. 

I stand corrected. Having said that, I've never seen one in the Chiang Rai area. When you say up north, is that north-west, or north-east?

I will admit to having met a couple of rottweilers on a property here. Once we were introduced, no problem.

There's a joke that was doing the rounds a few decades ago, about Victoria's Social Services Department.

Q. What's the difference between a rottweiler and a family social worker?

A. The rottweiler will give the baby back.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Keeping a dog in Thailand is too heart-breaking for me, we've lost two, and disease is rife in the soi dog population. No way you can stop dogs from mixing socially, unless they are fenced off at all times. Which is unfair, unless you have seven like you do.

They experience the same problem as humans with Covid : mixing socially....

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I stand corrected. Having said that, I've never seen one in the Chiang Rai area. When you say up north, is that north-west, or north-east?

I will admit to having met a couple of rottweilers on a property here. Once we were introduced, no problem.

There's a joke that was doing the rounds a few decades ago, about Victoria's Social Services Department.

Q. What's the difference between a rottweiler and a family social worker?

A. The rottweiler will give the baby back.

Think it was north east . My neighbor got a pup a year ago and this thing was massive at 4 months old . It’s now the size of a horse and you wouldn’t want it looking at you never mind running after you ! ????

If you stepped in their garden or house without them there you have had it . Although the 2m high perimeter wall should keep people out unless they really like dogs or being eaten ! 

Well, here’s the wrap up, OP here. My wife and the poo yai baan went to visit the farm closest to where the incident occurred. Turns out the guy living there keeps chickens and has been losing some to dogs. He put out poisoned food the night before the incident. Not sure what the poison was, but some rodenticides here can apparently be pretty fast acting.  It’s even possible the dog got into the poison while the wife was feeding livestock earlier the same morning. They were heading home when I encountered them and the dog decided to accompany me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FrequentStops said:

Well, here’s the wrap up, OP here. My wife and the poo yai baan went to visit the farm closest to where the incident occurred. Turns out the guy living there keeps chickens and has been losing some to dogs. He put out poisoned food the night before the incident. Not sure what the poison was, but some rodenticides here can apparently be pretty fast acting.  It’s even possible the dog got into the poison while the wife was feeding livestock earlier the same morning. They were heading home when I encountered them and the dog decided to accompany me.

Pretty sure putting out poisoned food to intentionally kill dogs is now illegal and can be fined and up to 2 years in jail for doing it .

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

It's irresponsible and selfish dog owners that case these problems. The lack of any laws that deal with noisy or aggressive neighbourhood dogs means people can be driven to extreme stress by their neighbours barking dogs and are powerless to do anything. 

In our rural area no one cares about noisy dogs and I doubt an animal would be deliberately poisoned for that. Dogs that run around and kill chickens are the usual targets.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have close to a half a rai fenced that they can run on.  To be honest, they don't.  They prefer to hang together as a pack generally, in the smallest enclosure right around the kitchen.  But - they have half a rai to run on.  Up to them.  My dogs (cats and bird) are extremely well taken care of and provided for.  Except for the oldest two dog, the others are rescued dogs or puppies that were not wanted by anyone else.  I foster animals too.  According to my vet she's seen over 20 animals that I've brought in.  We get their shots, spay and neuter, find homes or keep them when we can not.
I've seen animals kept in atrocious conditions - like cages - by Thais (and farang) who shouldn't be allowed to have an animal. 
I am not one of 'those people'.  I also contribute to the care of a pack of 14 dogs at our local temple.  If I lived in the city I would not have this many animals.  I'd probably limit it to a cat, probably two.  But I live in the country and I've got land.  Any animal that happens my way is well taken care of and provide for.  As far as my dogs being a nuisance?  No more than the rest of the dogs that surround us.  Like I said - the local dogs bark together in a chorus and stop barking together.  And everyone around me has dogs. Who can point a finger?
I've no regrets.  Neither do any of my animals.  They are a happy lot.  Me too.  I find joy in taking care of them. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, connda said:

I have close to a half a rai fenced that they can run on.  To be honest, they don't.  They prefer to hang together as a pack generally, in the smallest enclosure right around the kitchen.  But - they have half a rai to run on.  Up to them.  My dogs (cats and bird) are extremely well taken care of and provided for.  Except for the oldest two dog, the others are rescued dogs or puppies that were not wanted by anyone else.  I foster animals too.  According to my vet she's seen over 20 animals that I've brought in.  We get their shots, spay and neuter, find homes or keep them when we can not.
I've seen animals kept in atrocious conditions - like cages - by Thais (and farang) who shouldn't be allowed to have an animal. 
I am not one of 'those people'.  I also contribute to the care of a pack of 14 dogs at our local temple.  If I lived in the city I would not have this many animals.  I'd probably limit it to a cat, probably two.  But I live in the country and I've got land.  Any animal that happens my way is well taken care of and provide for.  As far as my dogs being a nuisance?  No more than the rest of the dogs that surround us.  Like I said - the local dogs bark together in a chorus and stop barking together.  And everyone around me has dogs. Who can point a finger?
I've no regrets.  Neither do any of my animals.  They are a happy lot.  Me too.  I find joy in taking care of them. 

Good for you. I agree 100% if one is not prepared to care for an animal properly, they should not own one. But try telling that to most Australian farmers, they treat dogs as tools.

My favorite dog was a Scottish deerhound that lived on a property in the middle of NSW where I used to go camping. Jock looked quite fearsome. His head was on a level with my chest, and I'm six feet. All he ever wanted to do was lay at my feet, or put his head on my knee while I was reading.

Dunno why, but all snakes mentioned in this tread seem to Cobras. In Thailand there are 234 species of snakes. Strange that. Just saying like. Are Cobras attracted to dogs?

Edited by IvorBiggun2