Can a landlord amend / alter a business lease contract that is registered at the land office where tax has been paid?

We are tenants in a building and on signing the docs with the landlord we all visited the land office to get the lease registered. We paid the tax at the land office and all parties have a copy of the contract with nominal rent increases every 3 yrs. I negotiated a very good deal and think we have low rent.  

My question is… Can the landlord evict us at all or change the rent? I assume not because it is registered and tax paid. Is this correct?

Years ago I remember reading a comment on this forum where a foreigner rented a building in bkk. The landlord told him he wanted to sell it. The foreigner put up a big vinal sign (in thai) stating that ‘any buyers should be aware that there’s a registered lease on the building at the land office and that current tenants will not move out prior to expiry date of the contract’. He said that the building was never sold. 

I thought I would check with anyone that knows if there’s been any changes to the law. Am I correct in my assumption above that the lease contract is effectively ‘set in stone’ until the said expiry date occurs?

thanks

• Like 2

In most countries a signed contract is binding, if both parties agree to an amendment or change thats fine read contract carefully make sure no sneaky little clauses or additions otherwise it is binding to finishing date on contract 

11 minutes ago, Boedog said:

In most countries a signed contract is binding, if both parties agree to an amendment or change thats fine read contract carefully make sure no sneaky little clauses or additions otherwise it is binding to finishing date on contract 

Not in a developing country like Thailand. If we had not registered the lease and paid tax and just had a normal contract then it is effectively a worthless piece of paper. Contracts here mean nothing to your average Thai-  thats why I insisted on registering and paying the tax. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 8:59 AM, bbabythai said:

I thought I would check with anyone that knows if there’s been any changes to the law. Am I correct in my assumption above that the lease contract is effectively ‘set in stone’ until the said expiry date occurs?

To my knowledge: Yes (i.e. the agreement runs until expiry date).

The Law in English translation is HERE.

• Like 1