Direct Flights to UK (and Amber listed conecting countries)

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You need to pay 170 quid for the two tests .

On the uk gov website there is a list or providers of the two tests in every region some as low as 50 quid for both tests.

47 minutes ago, sapson said:

On the uk gov website there is a list or providers of the two tests in every region some as low as 50 quid for both tests.

I think they are for the walk in tests , and those are also "prices from" , the one advertising the tests for 48 quid are "out of stock " https://www.aiscovid.com/ and the other ones charge an advertised 35 quid , but it costs 169 quid https://www.mylondonpharmacy.co.uk/shop

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was just stating what would happen if you just ignored all the red tape and just jumped on a flight without prior tests and form filling in, they would likely stick you in quarantine even if you arrived from an amber zone 

It’s also quite likely that you be fined up to £10,000 if you could show you’d completed the correct documents on arrival at the UK Border, but as @Upnotoverrightly says without evidence of the required tests, doubtful if you be allowed to fly.

16 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not say that is wrong......I have no idea......but it seems mental that people who may have contracted covid from an Amber zone are allowed to quarantine in a hotel????

Government ministers that have tested positive do it all the time, travelers are only suspects.

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This seems to be the cheapest one , 89 Quid 

Yes, I had a good look through the list and the cheapest option I saw was £250 for the Day 2, Day 8 and Test to release package, about £83/test.

17 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The fourteen days quarantine in a Government hotel, guarded by G4S or the like, is for Brits who’ve travelled from, passed through, or been in a red zone ten days previously.

The government mandatory quarantine in hotels is 10 days.

There was a news article just yesterday on complaints that testing delays are extending that in some cases to about 14 days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/red-list-travellers-hotel-quarantine-b1878906.html

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:23 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The red zone list of Countries includes U.A.E , Bahrain , Oman and Qatar . 

So, need to avoid these Countries when going back to the U.K

The next review by UK of the traffic light coutries MAY see Qatar promoted to the amber list I am told because they have been successful in keeping their rate of new infections reasonbly low.

Not long to wait now for the answer

Just now, Havenstreet1940 said:

The next review by UK of the traffic light coutries MAY see Qatar promoted to the amber list I am told because they have been successful in keeping their rate of new infections reasonbly low.

Not long to wait now for the answer

How often to the UK Gov review the lists of which Countries are Green/Amber/Red ?

Is there a set date ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How often to the UK Gov review the lists of which Countries are Green/Amber/Red ?

Is there a set date ?

I understand that Grant Shapps, The Minister of Transport will announcee any changes within the next 10 days and that it could be as early as today (8 july) but I cannot guarantee that.

For anyone contemplating a return to UK, the following guidemay be helpful:

The UK Government is reviewing the traffic-light system every three weeks.

That means the next announcement should come on Thursday 15 July, with any changes coming into effect the following week, likely on Wednesday 21 July.

How the traffic-light system works

The lists are decided based on the following criteria:

• The percentage of a country’s population that have been vaccinated
  • The rate of infection
  • The prevalence of variants of concern
  • The country’s access to reliable scientific data and genomic sequencing

Here are the rules for each list of the traffic light system:

• Green: Arrivals will need to take a pre-departure test as well as a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test on or before day two of their arrival back into the UK – but will not need to quarantine on return (unless they receive a positive result) or take any additional tests
  • Amber: Arrivals will need to quarantine for a period of 10 days and take a pre-departure test, as well as a PCR test on day two and day eight. There will be the option to take an additional test on day five to end self-isolation early
  • Red: Arrivals will be subject to restrictions currently in place for “red-list” countries which include a 10-day stay in a managed quarantine hotel, pre-departure testing and mandatory PCR testing on day two and eight

Amber list travel for double-jabbed

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the Government has plans to open up amber list countries to fully vaccinated people later this summer.

“We’re moving forward with efforts to safely reopen international travel this summer, and thanks to the success of our vaccination programme, we’re now able to consider removing the quarantine period for fully vaccinated UK arrivals from amber countries – showing a real sign of progress,” Mr Shapps said.

This would essentially render amber list countries green for double-jabbed people.

The Times has reported this could be brought in as early as 26 July – in time for the school holidays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Yes, I had a good look through the list and the cheapest option I saw was £250 for the Day 2, Day 8 and Test to release package, about £83/test.

What is the logic behind having to take two tests on day 2 & 8 .

If the first tests come back negative , you still have to wait for another test on day 8 . 

If the first test comes back positive and you have no or little symptoms, then you are advised to stay at home .

If you become ill , you will need to get treatment anyway.

So, what is the logic of taking a test on day 2 ?

11 minutes ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Other than it is a Government ruling based on scientific advice, I can't gove you a definitive answer.

However, I would  suggest that having taken a test 3 dys prior to travel, the test on day 2 after arrival is based on a total of 5 days since first test prior.   5 days is the current thinking ofwhen symptoms first appear- so whilst okay a first test, you may have picked up the disease on your way home.  Please don't quote me, just my reasoning, I'm not a virologist.

Day 8 is again a period of about 5 days.   A period of time when symptoms can appear.

I won'tgive up my day job Lol!

Thanks , but if you were to develop symptoms after two days , you would seek medical assistance if required .

Even if you did get a positive result , you are advised to stay at home and sit it out , if medical assistance isnt required .

So, there doesnt seem to be any reason for taking a test on day 2  

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thanks , but if you were to develop symptoms after two days , you would seek medical assistance if required .

Even if you did get a positive result , you are advised to stay at home and sit it out , if medical assistance isnt required .

So, there doesnt seem to be any reason for taking a test on day 2  

Yep - Guess you are right.  However little we can do about it, 'rules is rules' I believe the saying  is! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jojothai said:

Potentially yes.
You are required to download the track and trace app, and need the telephone for hem to call and check.
Best check online for the rules on NHS website.  Try internet query. You have time.
If you have to Call them from here try to do it cheaply. You may have to wait some time for response. I use skype.

Do you have a contact address ?

22 hours ago, jojothai said:

IMHO if you are thinking of going to UK then get out before Thailand becomes a red zone. The numbers are clearly going up.

Read my posts.
You need a minimum of 6 weeks if you do the 5 day test to release, but you should use 7 weeks.

based on
5 day test to release.

day 6 first dose at pop up / walk in clinic or vaccination center.

4 weeks to second dose of AZ or 3 weeks for Pfizer. You have to find a vaccination center or GP that will do this, otherwise it is 8 weeks.
1 week minimum to apply for COE, get it preapproved, then get COE after ASQ booking.
Read the steps on the Thai embassy website. Very clear.
Allow say 3 days pre-approval and 3 working days for COE. They say up to 5 days for COE.

Play safe and allow 2 weeks after your second dose for return date. For COE and Important for 2 other reasons.
1. You can only apply for the NHS pass Certificate of vaccination 5 days after your second dose. They say it will take about 5 working days for you to receive it. Mine took 5 working days. ( Thats 7 days of the week).

2. Majority advice is that you should allow at least 2 weeks for the second dose to become effective.

Thank you for laying all this out clearly; that is very helpful. Stopped me from having to ask the question in this forum. Just a couple of extra things I was wondering: did you do all this alone or were you with a (in my case Thai) spouse? I was hoping it might be possible to "pop in" to a "pop-up" vacc centre on the way to our place of 10-day isolation - do you know for a fact that would be against the rules (even though it looks very likely that it would be)?

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you have a contact address ?

Read all the guidelines on the NHS website.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

It is possible they may be able to use email to contact and check you, as well as any visits.
Near the bottom of the page there is an email address for "Circumstances not covered by this guidance".

I suggest that you use that as your first effort to clarify

The telephone number to use in the UK for covid test and trace queries is 119. It can take some time queuing.
I cannot identify an overseas number equivalent.

5 hours ago, georgey said:

Thank you for laying all this out clearly; that is very helpful. Stopped me from having to ask the question in this forum. Just a couple of extra things I was wondering: did you do all this alone or were you with a (in my case Thai) spouse? I was hoping it might be possible to "pop in" to a "pop-up" vacc centre on the way to our place of 10-day isolation - do you know for a fact that would be against the rules (even though it looks very likely that it would be)?

I was on my own. Thai wife did not yet want to go, especially for so long.
You should not go to get vaccinated when you should be in Quarantine. You risk hefty fines.
Vaccination date is important recorded which would be clear evidence. 
In practise the pop up center may not know your status re the isolation.
but if you give your NHS number and they access your details there may be something there from the locator declarations and the test and trace that you are required to use. IMHO if you tried you would have to try to avoid the test and trace.

3 minutes ago, jojothai said:

I was on my own. Thai wife did not yet want to go, especially for so long.
You should not go to get vaccinated when you should be in Quarantine. You risk hefty fines.
Vaccination date is important recorded which would be clear evidence. 
In practise the pop up center may not know your status re the isolation.
but if you give your NHS number and they access your details there may be something there from the locator declarations and the test and trace that you are required to use. IMHO if you tried you would have to try to avoid the test and trace.

Yes OK. That makes sense, thanks

On 7/7/2021 at 7:27 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thanks, but I only intent going one way and I cannot go until July 31 st . 

Just to recap , to travel to the UK you have to have a negative Covid test three days before you depart , have to quarantine at home for 14 days and also pre book two tests that will be posted to your home address .

BTW , if you are quarantining  at home , are you allowed out to the shops to buy some food ?

Only 10 days Q. at home not 14. You cannot go out for anything! Possible big fine if you do. Someone did post on Facebook that it was OK to go out to post your 2 PCR tests. This seems logical as there would be no contact with anyone if just to a post box. But I had someone else to post mine and do food shopping.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:27 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just to recap , to travel to the UK you have to have a negative Covid test three days before you depart , have to quarantine at home for 14 days and also pre book two tests that will be posted to your home address .

BTW , if you are quarantining  at home , are you allowed out to the shops to buy some food ?

28 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Only 10 days Q. at home not 14. You cannot go out for anything! Possible big fine if you do. Someone did post on Facebook that it was OK to go out to post your 2 PCR tests. This seems logical as there would be no contact with anyone if just to a post box. But I had someone else to post mine and do food shopping.

As far as I am aware you can go out to post the test. I had to do that. Did 2 and 8 day postal.
You need to use a priority post box. You can check nearest on the post office website.
You can travel to a clinic for tests. However you have to look at any that are near and costs. It can take a lot of effort searching and checking. Many cheap -no availability. Many at distance. Half did not respond to queries promptly or not at all.
In theory you may have to use a taxi to go to clinic - $$$. So post may work out the cheapest
If you are seriously concerned about getting out of self isolation as quickly as possible then add the 5 day test to release and do at a clinic that gives results the next day. Or results the same day (with test taken by about 10.00am) but costs more. 
You must declare on the passenger locator form if you are going to do the 5 day. I understand that if not and you change your mind then you will have to do a new locator form.
Also get somebody to get you a pack of the lateral flow tests from a pharmacy as soon as you can. Best get on day 1 if you can. They are free.
Learn how to do the self test as soon as you can. The first I nearly messed up. Second I got the hang of it.
Some people cannot readily do it for themselves.
Doing some self testing regularly will also give you better confidence of likely pass.

• Like 1

If you look on https://www.covid19-testing.org/providers?type=test_to_release|arrival_tests&facility=Home Test&sort=best_match&from_questions=1 you can do a price comparison on the tests.

some of these firms appear to be cheaper going via the price comparison website than any other link.

£84 seems to be the cheapest for 2 tests, plus a further £75 for test and release if you wish to do that.  Btw, unlike last year where no or few checks were done, they have been doing a lot of checks on arrivals lately.   One of my friends at someone at the door at 8am when they got back from Portugal in the early hours of the morning.

I am looking at Lufthansa or KLM for my GF, subject to her getting the visa shortly and Thailand not going to red list.  Thailand going red list is a big worry at the moment, seems to be a few rumours about that and one MP in particular has been pushing hard for it.  I would get back ASAP if you need to come home as you just don't know what will happen

15 hours ago, jojothai said:

It is possible they may be able to use email to contact and check you, as well as any visits.
Near the bottom of the page there is an email address for "Circumstances not covered by this guidance".

I suggest that you use that as your first effort to clarify

The telephone number to use in the UK for covid test and trace queries is 119. It can take some time queuing.
I cannot identify an overseas number equivalent.

Thanks , I am just waiting to see whether Thailand goes into Red zone , then I would have to go into state quarantine anyway and wouldnt need tests or track and trace