Astra Zenenca Vs. Sinovac

This thread is going to have at least 100 posts ????

I was offered AZ but refused to take it,  the second shot is supposed to happen after 12-16 weeks and I probably would be outside Thailand around that time.

I would have taken Sinovac but they ran out of it in Samui.

Because Sinovac refused to release data from stage 3 trials which were not published in peer reviewed respected journal, we don't know  what the efficacy is.  We just have disconnected, unverified findings from different countries using various methodologies. It has not been approved for emergency use by any Western countries that have rigorous standards and minimal corruption.  The WHO belatedly approved it because it was desperate for vaccines for its undersupplied COVAX schemes and falls over backwards to please China. Sinovac has mainly been used by poorer countries without stellar records on corruption.  Given all of this and the low production costs of old tech vaccines, the export prices have generally been rather elevated compared mRNA vaccines that had much higher development and production costs. 

Anecdotally the efficacy of Sinovac is probably only just above 50% against the early variants, as claimed by Brazil.  Therefore against the Delta, it is probably much less than that and there have been many breakthrough infections, hospitalisations and deaths amongst Indonesian medical staff fully vaccinated with Sinovac.  Perhaps around 30% efficacy would be a fair guess against the Delta.  At that level it may be dangerous for countries to continue using it, as it might create a super vaccine resistant variant.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

I don't think anybody has a choice. You have to take, what is offered.

If you refuse, you drop from the waiting line and have to enrol again in hope of getting your chosen one. You will always have 50% chance of getting it wrong again.

If you are working, have an active lifestyle, and you have medical conditions or over 60, get now whatever is possible. Later on you can try to change for the other brand, if the present one turns out not as expected.

My friend had sinovac and very serious side effects after the second shot, young female. For 30 days knocked her down from work. She had the best possible care, as she is medic herself and wealthy, but not diagnosis was given, despite many tests, brain scans etc.

So, what was wrong with her? What symptoms?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2009 said:

So, what was wrong with her? What symptoms?

serious neurological symptoms.

I copy from her correspondence, original spelling:

"I get second shot of vaccine and get quite bad side effects"

and after a week, when I asked about her health:

"I don't recommend u get sinovac since u have more choice n option to choose.

I got badly side effects from sinovac. I don't even know will I recovery. Just got mri brain scan + rehap still not much recovery".

She was bedridden for a week. For a month out from work. Still very erratic in her replies to me, I do suspect she is now well, but don't want to admit. I have asked her work colleagues, but they don't to write more, as they don't know me well.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

Information regarding the Sinovac vaccine

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/the-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

How efficacious is the vaccine?

A large phase 3 trial in Brazil showed that two doses, administered at an interval of 14 days, had an efficacy of 51% against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection, 100% against severe COVID-19, and 100% against hospitalization starting 14 days after receiving the second dose.

• Like 1

Sinovac efficacy is in question.!

Hundreds of vaccinated health workers in Indonesia and Chile are being infected with covid 19 and some are dying.

Both these countries (along with 31 others) use Sinovac primarily.

Some suggest Sinovac is better than nothing, these news articles would suggest it's about the same as nothing.

You be the judge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwib8eaJs9LxAhVP4zgGHRVjBbUQFjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Fworld%2Fasia-pacific%2Fhundreds-indonesian-doctors-contract-covid-19-despite-vaccination-dozens-2021-06-17%2F&usg=AOvVaw0x_6qgZom9siCqbR8ktmFu

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

One other item, the second Sinovac shot is given about a month after the first. For AstraZeneca, the second shot isn't given until 3 months later.

So, although the data shows AstraZeneca has more efficacy, you get more protection sooner with Sinovac

I got my first shot of AstraZeneca on June 7. I was not given a choice. My second shot will be in September.

After that, towards the end of the year or the first of next year, I will probably get another vaccine, like Moderna.

Seem that those including myself that got the 1st jab in June were given the 2nd jab in September. Not sure whether it is a supply or medical reason. My 1st jab on 29 June with 2nd jab on 21 September. What is your Sept appointment date. Like you, I am planning to take the Moderna as booster shot as when available. 

• Like 1

Another advantage of AZ is that it is accepted by more Countries, where Sinovac isn't. For example if you have two jabs of AZ then Canada accepts you as being fully vaccinated, where if you have 2 jabs of Sinovac, Canada won't recognize it.

• Like 1

Just now, dsj said:

Another advantage of AZ is that it is accepted by more Countries, where Sinovac isn't. For example if you have two jabs of AZ then Canada accepts you as being fully vaccinated, where if you have 2 jabs of Sinovac, Canada won't recognize it.

Similar to Australia but no matter how vaccinated you are you still have to do 2 weeks quarantine on entry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

Sinovac efficacy is in question.!

Hundreds of vaccinated health workers in Indonesia and Chile are being infected with covid 19 and some are dying.

You don't need to go to Indonesia to find that out.  At least three hospitals here have been forced to close in recent days after infection of medical staff - staff who presumably have had Sinovac.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

One other item, the second Sinovac shot is given about a month after the first. For AstraZeneca, the second shot isn't given until 3 months later.

So, although the data shows AstraZeneca has more efficacy, you get more protection sooner with Sinovac

I got my first shot of AstraZeneca on June 7. I was not given a choice. My second shot will be in September.

After that, towards the end of the year or the first of next year, I will probably get another vaccine, like Moderna.

But after the first AZ shot the efficacy is supposedly 60%.My Second will be on the 27th July.We efficacy supposed;y going to the high 80s%. I will probably need a booster towards the end of the year.I will be looking for Pfizer I should imagine.

Edited by findlay13

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

3 Shots ????

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

You don't need to go to Indonesia to find that out.  At least three hospitals here have been forced to close in recent days after infection of medical staff - staff who presumably have had Sinovac.

" Presumably " is not scientific proof....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

" Presumably " is not scientific proof....

"Covid-19 Killed 26 Indonesian Doctors in June—at Least 10 Had Taken China’s Sinovac Vaccine"

WSJ

"China’s Sinovac Vaccine Under Scrutiny As Covid Soars In Highly Vaccinated Countries"

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
Robert Hart
Forbes Staff

• Haha 2

I read that side-effects from SinoVac affected about 10% of those vaccinated, much higher than AZ.

The Thai press initially reported regularly on severe side effects from Sinovac and numbers were in the order of 10 %.

Then  the western press started reporting on fatalities from AZ and that was the big story.

Since then the media has been quiet on Sinovac.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

I read that side-effects from SinoVac affected about 10% of those vaccinated, much higher than AZ.

The Thai press initially reported regularly on severe side effects from Sinovac and numbers were in the order of 10 %.

Then  the western press started reporting on fatalities from AZ and that was the big story.

Since then the media has been quiet on Sinovac.

Germany to donate all remaining AstraZeneca vaccines in Aug

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-donate-all-remaining-astrazeneca-vaccines-aug-2021-07-07/

Most Germans prefer the BioNTech(22UAy.DE)/Pfizer(PFE.N) vaccine due to concerns over the side effects and efficacy of AstraZeneca.

This week, Health Minister Jens Spahn announced that those people who had already received a single dose of AstraZeneca would receive an mRNA vaccine like those of BioNTech/Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose.

The AstraZeneca vaccine does not feature in Germany's purchasing plans for next year.

thumbnail.jpg.db278af461b5fe256dda4905e54290ef.jpg

Edited by Tony125

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Seem that those including myself that got the 1st jab in June were given the 2nd jab in September. Not sure whether it is a supply or medical reason. My 1st jab on 29 June with 2nd jab on 21 September. What is your Sept appointment date. Like you, I am planning to take the Moderna as booster shot as when available. 

My first was 7 June and my 2nd is scheduled for 27 Sep. I don't know why you got your first shot after I did but are scheduled to get your first shot before I am. Was your vaccine AstraZeneca or Sinovac?

3 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

3 Shots ????

Yes, I'll get these Thailand-provided 2 shots of AstraZeneca, but then after that, maybe sometime at the end of the year or the start of the next, whenever my local private hospital is selling vaccines shots, I'll probably get another one. Hopefully I can find someone dispensing Moderna, which is a two-shot vaccine, or Johnson & Johnson, a one-shot vaccine.