Astra Zenenca Vs. Sinovac

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

My first was 7 June and my 2nd is scheduled for 27 Sep. I don't know why you got your first shot after I did but are scheduled to get your first shot before I am. Was your vaccine AstraZeneca or Sinovac?

I got AZ. I am puzzled too as to my 2nd appointment being earlier than you despite receiving my 1st shot much later than you. Perhaps age related. I am 66. 

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

Yes, I'll get these Thailand-provided 2 shots of AstraZeneca, but then after that, maybe sometime at the end of the year or the start of the next, whenever my local private hospital is selling vaccines shots, I'll probably get another one. Hopefully I can find someone dispensing Moderna, which is a two-shot vaccine, or Johnson & Johnson, a one-shot vaccine.

Interesting... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

All the stories from Indonesia actually say that the number of deaths among medical personnel have been greatly reduced from earlier in the pandemic. Covid numbers also soaring in the UK, which is one of the most highly vaccinated countries and nothing to do with Sinovac.  

There is another real world study from Chile, comparing Sinovac with Pfizer. As expected the Pfizer numbers are better, but the Sinovac numbers look pretty good to me too, esp for preventing severe disease, hospitalization and death. However herd immunity percentage would be way easier to reach with Pfizer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-08/china-made-vaccine-found-inferior-to-pfizer-shot-in-chile-study

Covid-19 Hospitalization ICU admission Death
CoronaVac 65.9% 87.5% 90.3% 86.3%
Pfizer-BioNTech 92.6% 95.1% 96.2% 91.0%

Of course Bloomberg tries to spin it negatively for Sinovac relying on the majority of the people who read only the article title. The comparison table is last in the article on purpose.

• Sad 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, internationalism said:

I don't think anybody has a choice. You have to take, what is offered.

I agree with this. Overall I believe its a race now to get everyone vaccinated as quickly as possible. Then this cluster f&&k is all over. Thanks China

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

am puzzled too as to my 2nd appointment being earlier than you despite receiving my 1st shot much later than you. Perhaps age related. I am 66. 

I think its all based on supplies and how many people are in the queue

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, gearbox said:

This thread is going to have at least 100 posts ????

I was offered AZ but refused to take it,  the second shot is supposed to happen after 12-16 weeks and I probably would be outside Thailand around that time.

I would have taken Sinovac but they ran out of it in Samui.

what an odd statement .. you chose sinovac ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I got AZ. I am puzzled too as to my 2nd appointment being earlier than you despite receiving my 1st shot much later than you. Perhaps age related. I am 66. 

2 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I think its all based on supplies and how many people are in the queue

So far I saw, it depends on the Hospital and the time when you received it.
Many used first 16 weeks for the second shot, then got down to 12 or 10 weeks. There are even some hospitals who give the second shot with only 8 weeks (55 days), which is the fasted I know till now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HampiK said:

Many used first 16 weeks for the second shot, then got down to 12 or 10 weeks. There are even some hospitals who give the second shot with only 8 weeks (55 days), which is the fasted I know till now.

Yes, I was down to get the 2nd AZ jab after 16 weeks… yesterday received a phone call saying that it will now be at 12 weeks.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, dsj said:

Another advantage of AZ is that it is accepted by more Countries, where Sinovac isn't. For example if you have two jabs of AZ then Canada accepts you as being fully vaccinated, where if you have 2 jabs of Sinovac, Canada won't recognize it.

My best friend is Canadian and he is in constant touch with the Canadian Embassy/Airlines, he has informed me that you do not need to be vaccinated to fly into Canada, only a test then quarantine when arrive Canada

On 7/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, millymoopoo said:

Sinovac efficacy is in question.!

Hundreds of vaccinated health workers in Indonesia and Chile are being infected with covid 19 and some are dying.

Both these countries (along with 31 others) use Sinovac primarily.

Some suggest Sinovac is better than nothing, these news articles would suggest it's about the same as nothing.

You be the judge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwib8eaJs9LxAhVP4zgGHRVjBbUQFjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Fworld%2Fasia-pacific%2Fhundreds-indonesian-doctors-contract-covid-19-despite-vaccination-dozens-2021-06-17%2F&usg=AOvVaw0x_6qgZom9siCqbR8ktmFu

Misinformation.  Here is the latest from the NEJM. 

Among persons who were fully immunized, the adjusted vaccine effectiveness was 65.9% (95% confidence interval [CI], 65.2 to 66.6) for the prevention of Covid-19 and 87.5% (95% CI, 86.7 to 88.2) for the prevention of hospitalization, 90.3% (95% CI, 89.1 to 91.4) for the prevention of ICU admission, and 86.3% (95% CI, 84.5 to 87.9) for the prevention of Covid-19–related death.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107715?fbclid=IwAR36CqJO3kGx3xlKdAfYZiKOhwWOgwvob6l_fC0exaESiKMCkZ9P2R_DUME

The day immigration requires Thai documentation of double vaccination, my guess is that nobody is going to turn up their nose at either AZ or Sinovac.

Edited by John Drake

20 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

When did you get your first shot, and is your wait about 8 weeks?

There has been talk about changing the timing for AZ.

14 hours ago, HampiK said:

Early on they recommended 16 weeks, then it dropped to 12 weeks.  On June 22, there was some committee talk about recommending 8 weeks because of rapidly rising cases.

I got vaccinated with AZ on June 23 and talked to the doctor on duty about the 8 weeks, in fact I requested it. She said they were aware of discussions to change to 8 weeks but had not yet received instructions.

She also said if they do change to 8 weeks, they will automatically reschedule everyone and send  a notice by email.

Edited by rabas

23 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Yes, that's puzzling to me too. In fact, my wait time between shots is 15 weeks. A friend of mine got his one day after me and his 2nd shot is scheduled for one day after mine. 

I'm 75, he's 65, so it must not be related to age. It must just be related to location and the projected turnout and availability of vaccine and personal.

I'm going to go down and ask about my 2nd date and try to get it moved up, but as usual in Thailand, I'll take whatever I can get.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

When did you get your first shot, and is your wait about 8 weeks?

There has been talk about changing the timing for AZ.

1st shot on the 29th June and 2nd on 21st September which is 12 weeks apart. The government may want to provide 1st shot to as many people as possible which will affect supply and delay 2nd shot. I hope the the situation improve and I get my 2nd earlier????????

The idea of potentially reducing interval for AZ jabs to 8 weeks in Thailand was probably based on a decision by the UK to reduce interval to a maximum of 8 weeks for both Oxford/AZ and BioNTech/Pfizer vaccines due to the ever growing dominance of the Delta variant, see https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/news/introduction-shorter-interval-between-vaccine-doses. Whether it will actually occur in Thailand with the present vaccine shortages is another matter.

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Misinformation.

Misinformed misinformation.!

Perhaps you could pass on your misinformation to the 131* families of the fully Sinovac vaccinated deceased hospital workers of Indonesia .!
I for one will not be misled into believing I'm fully protected after Sinovac inoculation.
AZ, Pfizer or Moderna prefered.

*source Reuters 7-7-21

20 hours ago, peleid said:

My best friend is Canadian and he is in constant touch with the Canadian Embassy/Airlines, he has informed me that you do not need to be vaccinated to fly into Canada, only a test then quarantine when arrive Canada

Any Canadian or legal resident can fly into Canada, but if they are fully vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, or J&J then they don’t need to quarantine for two weeks.  Same with some European countries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, secondtime said:

Any Canadian or legal resident can fly into Canada, but if they are fully vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, or J&J then they don’t need to quarantine for two weeks.  Same with some European countries.

I received this email from Canadian Embassy 2 weeks ago, June 25th.

Dear Canadians,

You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.

On June 21st, 2021 the Government of Canada announced the extension of some of Canada’s border measures as well as some changes to current measures that will begin to ease some testing and quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers who are currently permitted to enter Canada.

Easing of border measures

Beginning July 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, fully vaccinated travellers will not be required to quarantine or complete a day-8 test. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air will not be required to stay at a government-authorized hotel to await their on-arrival test result.

Unvaccinated minors or dependent adults who are travelling with fully vaccinated travellers must still quarantine for 14 days and follow all testing requirements, but are not required to stay at a government-authorized hotel.

To be eligible for these exemptions, fully vaccinated travellers must still meet the pre-entry and on-arrival testing requirements, be asymptomatic and submit all required COVID-19 information electronically into ArriveCAN prior to travel to Canada, have a paper or digital copy of their proof of vaccination, and have a suitable quarantine plan.

Fully-vaccinated travellers

To be considered fully vaccinated, travellers must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine — or combination of vaccines — accepted by the Government of Canada, at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. Currently, those vaccines are manufactured by Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). Travellers must provide proof of vaccination in English or French (or a certified translation).

You will find below the list of accepted and not accepted vaccines at the moment. We recommend that you visit the section entitled Determine if you’re fully vaccinated regularly as the list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future.

Accepted vaccines:

• Pfizer (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)

• Moderna (mRNA-1273)

• AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, AZD1222, Covishield)

• Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) - single dose

Vaccines not currently accepted for fully vaccinated status in Canada:

• Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)

• Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)

• Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)

• Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)

• Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)

• Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)

• Other

Travellers can receive their vaccine in any country but must provide a certified translation confirming their vaccination status if proof of vaccination is not provided in English or French.

The Government of Canada will accept translations that were produced by a certified translator whose certification can be confirmed by a stamp or membership number with a professional translation association. 

Eligibility

Only those travellers who are currently eligible to enter Canada and are now fully vaccinated, are eligible for these new measures if they meet specific criteria and requirements. Specific questions regarding quarantine measures can be directed to the Public Health Agency of Canada https://health.canada.ca/en/public-health/corporate/contact-us.html.

Only individuals with a right of entry (Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act), as well as some foreign nationals who are not prohibited from entering Canada under the Orders in Council (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from the United States; Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any Country other than the United States) can currently enter Canada.

Individuals can verify if they are allowed to enter Canada

Not fully-vaccinated travellers

There are no changes to Canada’s current border measures for travellers who are not fully vaccinated. Travellers must continue to adhere to the current testing and federal 14-day quarantine requirements, and provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN before arriving in Canada. Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated air travellers must also book a three-night stay at a government-authorized hotel before their departure to Canada.

Persons who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive long after they have recovered and are no longer infectious.  Travellers who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 must provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test conducted between 14 and 90 days prior to their scheduled flight.

If you are no longer travelling abroad, please update your registration status at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration. If you are unable to access your registration, you may send an email to [email protected] 

Canadians in need of emergency consular assistance should call the nearest Canadian Government Office at https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies-consulates or the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa directly at +1 613 996 8885 (collect calls are accepted where available).  An e-mail can also be sent to [email protected].

We encourage you to stay connected with the latest travel advice and advisories at www.travel.gc.ca.

Please share this important information with other Canadians in your area.

Global Affairs Canada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, jomtienisgood said:

" Presumably " is not scientific proof....

However, "Hundreds of medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations" from The Newspaper That Dare Not Speak Its Name is pretty good evidence.

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

However, "Hundreds of medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations" from The Newspaper That Dare Not Speak Its Name is pretty good evidence.

I think one needs to look at this deeper than just the verbal spin the article is presenting.   I think everyone is in favour of the medical workers getting top priority for protection against this virus - but IMHO the article spin is highly misleading where it suggests the vaccines given to the medical workers (which I believe was predominantly SinoVac) didn't help.  Note I say 'suggests'.

Looking at the numbers in the article:    618 out of 677,348 ... which is about 0.09% of the medical personnel (which is a VERY SMALL percentage).

Ok, Lets look at the Thailand population of about 70-million where there have been about 336,600 people infected (ie about 0.48% of the population of Thailand infected) where I think we all know the # of people vaccinated in Thailand averaged since pandemic start is relatively small.

So 0.48% infected with little-to-no vaccination.  And only 0.09% infected if vaccinated.

I know what that tells me.  It tells me the vaccinations, while not perfect, helped.

But of course the article is pushing a story - pushing a spin,  ... pushing something (lets protect the medical workers) that we all want, but it is misleading in how it goes about this - where it suggests the vaccine is not working. 

The vaccine is working - just not as good as we would all like to see.  I think we all would like to see 100% efficacy.

• Confused 1

Folks need to understand .......   who created this mess and this virus ....   ?

Why would you even think the Chinese Sinovac would offer protection   ?    lol

I cannot believe some folks thinking here, China produces nothing but JUNK ,  they continued to deceive and lie about the origin of the virus so how the heck would you trust anything that come out of their mouths.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I cannot believe some folks thinking here, China produces nothing but JUNK ,  they continued to deceive and lie about the origin of the virus so how the heck would you trust anything that come out of their mouths.  

I don't know if I would say they only produce junk.  In some respects the Chinese might have had a jump on a vaccine given they were the ones who were studying the virus.  

Now, if the test results from other countries showed Sinovac to be effective, I would take it irrespective of its origin.  But the truth is that its effectiveness ranks at the bottom of all of the options.  So if a person is going to expose themselves to whatever sort of reactions "may" happen by taking a vaccine, why would they take the one offering the least protection. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I don't know if I would say they only produce junk.  In some respects the Chinese might have had a jump on a vaccine given they were the ones who were studying the virus.  

Now, if the test results from other countries showed Sinovac to be effective, I would take it irrespective of its origin.  But the truth is that its effectiveness ranks at the bottom of all of the options.  So if a person is going to expose themselves to whatever sort of reactions "may" happen by taking a vaccine, why would they take the one offering the least protection. 

I hear what you say and respect your view.  I would not trust anything that comes out of China or Russia.

Who started this mess ....  ?  supposedly China,    so how the heck could one even consider a vaccine from a county that initiated the virus in the first place.    no thanks,   but that's just me.    

• Sad 1