How do I get married in Thailand?

RobU

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Just noticed this post - after I and a few other posters have given the OP the correct info on what he needs to do to register his marriage but the above post is not only factually incorrect, its confusing who requires what.

So let's clarify:  The Thai authorities have no access to the marriage records of other countries so in an attempt to stop inter-country bigamy, they require some form of proof that you are free to marry.  That document in English is called an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry and its provided by your embassy.  The Thai authorities don't want proof that any previous marriage has been legally ended, your embassy does in order to provide you with the Affirmation.

You're not telling the Thai authorities that you were previously married and you don't have to provide translations of your divorce papers to them - if you were previously married you provide those papers to your embassy when you swear and affidavit that you are free to marry.  Only the Affirmation and your passport are translated. The Thai MFA has an agreed format for the Affirmation with foreign embassies and only that format is acceptable. They are therefore, supposed to know what they are looking at when they receive both your home country's version of the document and its translation.  Once checked they certify the translation is genuine and legal.

Its a pain but its not really that difficult - there's certainly nothing onerous about.  I've never checked but I'd take a guess that most countries want similar proof if your a foriegn citizen wanting to get married.  Quite why they want your passport translating and certifying when its in an internationally agreed format and good enough to get you into the country is anyone's guess but its not a major thing.

Thankyou for the information KhaoYai

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I presume its to get the correct translation, your name on marriage certificate is in Thai

59 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It could well be.

My forename has an equivalent in Thai (Robert) but my surname doesn't translate unless it is broken down to 2 Thai words because it is a representation of Yorkshire Dialect

20 minutes ago, RobU said:

My forename has an equivalent in Thai (Robert) but my surname doesn't translate unless it is broken down to 2 Thai words because it is a representation of Yorkshire Dialect

I have never heard of Thai equivalents for English first names. Translation software certainly doesn't recognise English names and give the Thai equivalent. I may be mistaken but always thought all English names are translated phonetically (as they sound) That's the reason they have one official MFA translation of your name. Otherwise it gets translated 3-4 different ways by different Gov offices. 

I have a friend with first name Sean (Shawn), the MFA translation of his name is the Thai characters that make the Shh, awe and n sounds. My name is Peter and the translation is the Thai characters that sound out Peter.

I'm interested to know what the Thai equivalent of Robert is, as have never heard of this

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never heard of Thai equivalents for English first names. Translation software certainly doesn't recognise English names and give the Thai equivalent. I may be mistaken but always thought all English names are translated phonetically (as they sound) That's the reason they have one official MFA translation of your name. Otherwise it gets translated 3-4 different ways by different Gov offices. 

I have a friend with first name Sean (Shawn), the MFA translation of his name is the Thai characters that make the Shh, awe and n sounds. My name is Peter and the translation is the Thai characters that sound out Peter.

I'm interested to know what the Thai equivalent of Robert is, as have never heard of this

Robert = โรเบิร์ต  and โรเบิร์ต  = Robert therefore it is directly translatable from English to Thai and Thai to English there is no other meaning it has an equivalent in Thai how that equivalency is reached is irrelevant. If your statement was valid my surname would be translated also and it will not translate

Edited by RobU

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, KhaoYai said:

Just noticed this post - after I and a few other posters have given the OP the correct info on what he needs to do to register his marriage but the above post is not only factually incorrect, its confusing who requires what.

So let's clarify:  The Thai authorities have no access to the marriage records of other countries so in an attempt to stop inter-country bigamy, they require some form of proof that you are free to marry.  That document in English is called an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry and its provided by your embassy.  The Thai authorities don't want proof that any previous marriage has been legally ended, your embassy does in order to provide you with the Affirmation.

You're not telling the Thai authorities that you were previously married and you don't have to provide translations of your divorce papers to them - if you were previously married you provide those papers to your embassy when you swear and affidavit that you are free to marry.  Only the Affirmation and your passport are translated. The Thai MFA has an agreed format for the Affirmation with foreign embassies and only that format is acceptable. They are therefore, supposed to know what they are looking at when they receive both your home country's version of the document and its translation.  Once checked they certify the translation is genuine and legal.

Its a pain but its not really that difficult - there's certainly nothing onerous about.  I've never checked but I'd take a guess that most countries want similar proof if your a foriegn citizen wanting to get married.  Quite why they want your passport translating and certifying when its in an internationally agreed format and good enough to get you into the country is anyone's guess but its not a major thing.

Thanks for information!!