How do I get married in Thailand?

RobU

Hello sir/madam

When I am allowed to return to Thailand, I want to get married under Thai Law, I understand that a religious ceremony is not ratified unless is is recorded at a local register office.. I have a number of questions and I hope you can help

I have attempted to get the information from The Thai embassy in the UK by email exchange and all I receive are 2 word answers totally unhelpful saying talk to the local register office: the terms Rocking Horse Poo and blood from a stone spring to mind. My Fiancé is in Nong Khai Province where we have built a house in her village. I cannot find any contact details for any Thai register office never mind one in Nong Khai

Questions

1. What Documents must I bring to Thailand to be allowed to marry (I was divorced over 50 years ago and never remarried)

2. Must the documents be translated to Thai?

3 Must the translated documents be ratified as a genuine copy by any UK agency?

4. Which Thai Register offices will record our marriage? i.e. Do I have to travel to Bangkok? :-((   (I don't like London so Bangkok is definitely not the place for me)

5. Do I have to register the Thai Marriage with the British Embassy in Thailand?

6. Is a legal Thai Marriage recognised in the UK?

Yes I am old but my fiancé is not a young dolly she is a mature woman in her 50's

I hope that you can help me.

Cheers

Rob

I am sure you found this but just in case

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

I am US citizen. I just had to sign at the embassy to get a note telling the Thai Gov that I was not already married. I married and registered in Bangkok, took two days. I seem to remember that everything that had to go to the Thai Gov had to be translated into Thai.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Like 1

I think this topic has been posted in the wrong forum. The OP has given the links for obtaining the afirmation of permit to marry required at the UK embassy. 

I am moving this topic to the Marriage and Divorce forum where more info can be found.

• Like 1

I got married in Thailand a couple of years ago. I don't know if the process changed since but this is what I had to do:

My divorce papers from previous marriage had to be certified/stamped by my embassy and translated to Thai.

Same for the passport. 

After that all the certified documents along with my fiance's was sent to the ministry of foreign affairs (if I remember correctly) in Bangkok for approval. I used an agent for the last step as I was in Isaan already. When the approved/stamped documents arrived we got married at the local amphur-took about 30 mins. 

The requirements may have changed since and some amphurs are more difficult so your fiance should go and have a chat with them first.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RobU said:

My Fiancé is in Nong Khai Province where we have built a house in her village. I cannot find any contact details for any Thai register office never mind one in Nong Khai

Have you considered asking your fiancé in Thailand to find out these details in the province where she lives? That should be the easiest way to find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KhaoYai said:

1.  You will need to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the British Embassy Consular Section in Bangkok.  To obtain that, if previoulsy married you need to take your decree absolute with you. The only other thing is your passport which must also be certified by the British Embassy. You make the appointment for this service online. More info starts here (you will eventually get to the booking page):

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/opposite_sex

2. Once obtained, the above certifications must be translated and the translations certified as genuine by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok. Sounds daunting?  For a reasonable fee the translation agency will take the documents for certification and collect them when ready.  There are many translation agencies close to the Consular Section in Bangkok that are very familiar with the procedure - I would not recommend going to the MFA yourself.

3. Covered in 1 above.

4. You can register your marriage at and Amphur (District Registry Office) in Thailand but get your girlfriend to check with them as some can be a bit cagey about marrying foreigners.  At some, even in Bangkok, an appointment is needed for foreign marriages.  Your girlfriend also needs to find out if the manager will be there on the day you plan to register - the manager must certify foreign marrigaes.

5. No.

6. Yes

Whilst at the Amphur of choice, your girlfriend should ask if there are any other requirements - its not unknown for local offices to impose their own rules.  If she's not familiar with the process, she might also need to check what she needs to take along.

NOW, This post is one i would pay attention to.   The poster seems to be same nationality as the OP !   Also seems to have done the walk... not just quoting some

section that they googled.         !!

Naturally,  others experiences may be slightly different .

I find that a little thank you baht goes a long way in getting help instead of hindrance.     In the past i never took that road..... now i find it is nicely paved and smoothe

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

1.  You will need to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from the British Embassy Consular Section in Bangkok.  To obtain that, if previoulsy married you need to take your decree absolute with you. The only other thing is your passport which must also be certified by the British Embassy. You make the appointment for this service online. More info starts here (you will eventually get to the booking page):

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/opposite_sex

2. Once obtained, the above certifications must be translated and the translations certified as genuine by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok. Sounds daunting?  For a reasonable fee the translation agency will take the documents for certification and collect them when ready.  There are many translation agencies close to the Consular Section in Bangkok that are very familiar with the procedure - I would not recommend going to the MFA yourself.

3. Covered in 1 above.

4. You can register your marriage at and Amphur (District Registry Office) in Thailand but get your girlfriend to check with them as some can be a bit cagey about marrying foreigners.  At some, even in Bangkok, an appointment is needed for foreign marriages.  Your girlfriend also needs to find out if the manager will be there on the day you plan to register - the manager must certify foreign marrigaes.

5. No.

6. Yes

Whilst at the Amphur of choice, your girlfriend should ask if there are any other requirements - its not unknown for local offices to impose their own rules.  If she's not familiar with the process, she might also need to check what she needs to take along.

Many Thanks for your very clear and comprehensive response KhaoYai

• Like 2

oh,  i see Robu  (like rob you ? )  is online.     Please do not think I am just trying to be a

pain in the butt  .    The fact is it can be very frustrating to do things in thailand

Considering your age.... Why not get a retirement Visa .......   go with your sweetheart to

the local Wat and make arrangements for a "home marriage".     The main expense is for some string to wrap around your wrists,   and lots of food and booze for the honorary guests.        You will then be considered "one of the gang"...... respectable........ and can retire to your a/c  room to consumate   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Have you considered asking your fiancé in Thailand to find out these details in the province where she lives? That should be the easiest way to find out.

She is not an educated woman, cannot read or write and takes the word of pundits rather than officials (my friends friend says...). She can't negotiate or investigate very well and doesn't like dealing with officials. so unfortunately the answer is no.

• Like 2

Just now, RobU said:

I don't think that what you are quoting is a legally registered marriage. It needs to be a legal marriage so she has the right to half my occupational pension when I die I don't want to leave her with nothing to support her in her old age. The visa isn't a problem

No,  not registered.     I am not an expert on pensions....UK  or  other countries.   I have seen  posts on here where I got the impression there are many ways that countries limit pensions when the person moves here.

Have you read up on the "latest"  laws  ( they seem to change over time,  always to the detriment of the retired people)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Are you interested in the single marriage stamp or multiple marriage variety pack? 

At my age one is enough thanks. When I was young I shared a house with 4 girls , initially it was great tolerated and liked by 3 with one on her period who took it out me for that time the other 3 protected me. BUT it is a fact that when women live together their menstrual cycles converge and I ended up being the Butt of their frustration for all of them which became a habit during the rest of the month. I never want to go through a year like that again

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aforek said:

See with your embassy in Bangkok  (they have surely a site )  ; my embassy ( not British ) explains every thing very well, step by step ( I am married now since june 1st ) 

Looking at UK official websites is rather like wading through mud lots and lots of words and very little clarity. All these people who work for the British Civil Service are highly educated with complex minds. Complex Minds love creating very complex solutions to justify their existence and many of them do not even use correct grammar so their meaning is actually different to what they say. Having said that I will look perhaps I will strike lucky and the person (or committee) who publish the 'information' may have common sense. Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

No,  not registered.     I am not an expert on pensions....UK  or  other countries.   I have seen  posts on here where I got the impression there are many ways that countries limit pensions when the person moves here.

Have you read up on the "latest"  laws  ( they seem to change over time,  always to the detriment of the retired people)

It isn't about the law it is about the rules of my pension plan which state that I must be in a legally recognised union. UK state pension does not allow foreign spouses to get a survivors pension but the UK government cannot regulate private or occupational pensions in this way it would be illegal

13 minutes ago, RobU said:

At my age one is enough thanks. When I was young I shared a house with 4 girls , initially it was great tolerated and liked by 3 with one on her period who took it out me for that time the other 3 protected me. BUT it is a fact that when women live together their menstrual cycles converge and I ended up being the Butt of their frustration for all of them which became a habit during the rest of the month. I never want to go through a year like that again

Sorry I can't help with the legal requirements, it appears to have been covered above anyway.  However, I must point out that what you suffered above and described in this post from your younger years will look like a cakewalk compared to marrying a Thai woman.   Ultimately it's worth it but you have to have a strong mind to see it through.  Good luck and a happy marriage.

• Haha 1