We have a problem - Thailand's health minister finally admits the inevitable as search for beds continues

webfact

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Vaccinated countries don't seem to be doing any better!

In your mind maybe, vaccines can have people test positive and contract only how bad it gets is far less. My country is doing great far better then when we were not vaccinated. around 0 deaths for a while and we are not totally vaccinated yet

Other countries using Chinese vaccines are not doing as great but still it helps against hospitalisation

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder if the deniers now start to understand why bars had to close. I mean now it is happening people dying at home and in the street the healthcare system is beginning to overload. Add the opening of bars and it would have been much worse higher numbers and even more deaths. 

Lockdowns and vaccinations are the only way to go. It sucks but just think what would happen if you were to catch covid and need to be hospitalized and there is no bed. Then all of a sudden the deadliness is a whole lot higher.

Lockdowns were important early on but only for so long. People can only survive for so long without government support. Vaccinations is the only way through now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, hioctane said:

Lockdowns were important early on but only for so long. People can only survive for so long without government support. Vaccinations is the only way through now.

Its a combination of both and yes the government should support the people more. Scrap the submarines, scrap some military toys and reroute the money to the people that need it.

Though im not really optimistic that this will happen. The only way is vaccinations (not shinovax) and lockdowns to prevent contact as much as possible. Without contact the virus spread slower. That is why lockdowns make sens.

But as you said people need to live the government must really do this else it wont work.

But right now the healthcare system is overloading so every little bit helps to stop that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand finds itself at a crucial juncture in the fight against Covid-19, suggests ASEAN Now. 

And the health minister is central to the ongoing fight. 

Then Thailand is screwed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

And now, the Lambda variant is on the loose ……

The Greek alphabet has 24 letters.  Lambda is the fifth variant; epsilon (California), the sixth.   Rhetorical Question:  How many months will it take, I wonder, for the remaining 18 letters to be assigned?

Edited by LarryLEB

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We're in Asia, posting on an Asean discussion forum. 

Yes but they used Shinvox and now even SG is not considering it a choice anymore. Its about quality vaccines not third grade ones. But even shinovax as it might not curb the amount of cases it reduces the hospitalization.

I would now even take it and later my moderna as a booster.

1 hour ago, mancub said:

Regardless of the "varient" isn't it consistently the older/vulnerable members of society that are most at risk of requiring hospitalization. Prioritize this group and perhaps the number of deaths can be better managed. This in itself might help quell some of the hysteria/panic that seems to be spreading nationwide .

It's spread by, and mutates in the young, not old people sitting at home.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, digibum said:

But what do you mean by “survivable”?   

One of my Thai friends got it about a year ago when she was living in the US.  She’s in her 30s, seemingly in good physical shape.

As much as some are overreacting like Covid is a death sentence, downplaying the severity and claiming healthy people shouldn’t be concerned is equally unhelpful.  

Well those are the facts 99.xx% survivable

I am sorry if your friend had it hard some do

Did you know in 2018 pre covid the death rate in Thailand for flu & pneumonia was roughly 122 per DAY?

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-influenza-pneumonia

Again those are the facts

As for overreacting...well when it cripples your medical emergency systems with non emergency cases then yes that is in fact an over reaction

I never said anyone was unconcerned but like yelling FIRE in a crowded theater it does not help anything to be crazy

I am saying I am living in one of the most visited US States I am telling you this is what the reality is here...Fact

Lastly I will also say we have a home in Thailand & lived there when this started in 2019

My sister in law lost taste & smell & had a high fever for a few days in Jan 2020 I also felt I had pneumonia

So I am also saying unlike the Thai party line of no covid in 2019-2020 I say yes Thailand has always had it but never tested for it

So why were hospitals all fine in 2019 & 2020?

Anyway good luck to you all there....We are seeing here in the USA the reality is a bit different than portrayed in the media

But do what you think best

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

I'd be very surprised if Thailand doesn't run out of oxygen.  

These guys don't care.  

It is a stone cold racing certainty they will run out of oxygen just like India and now Indonesia. That will give opportunities for televised donations of a small number of oxygen bottles for PR porposes.

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Regardless of the "varient" isn't it consistently the older/vulnerable members of society that are most at risk of requiring hospitalization. Prioritize this group and perhaps the number of deaths can be better managed. This in itself might help quell some of the hysteria/panic that seems to be spreading nationwide .

But that is not what happens..... I know many older Thais who have yet to have a single jab. The prioritization is based on how much scrambled egg you have on your chest.... not age. Who you know... or to be part of a misguided sandbox project. We saw 18 yo military conscripts being fast tracked.... while their grandparents remain at risk. My Mrs brother just got sorted....  applied around Bangkok but best solution, his wife works at a cancer hospital. Yes she registered him and he got jabbed, about 40 YO. Connections and who you know......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, digibum said:

I think you missed my point.  

No not really & yes I wrote fact because that is what it is here fact

Yes your friend as I said was a hard case...there are many & many deaths too

Remember I gave you the stat of 122 dead EVERY DAY in 2018 Thailand due to Flu & Pneumonia that was also fact

Yes many dies from Covid that is also fact

Meanwhile

Today in France where 51% are vaccinated thousand are on Mt Ventoux cheering on the Tor De France...no masks

Yet their hospitals are not overrun .....Fact...Life goes on

The truth of the matter is that pandemics always end.

And to date vaccines have never played a significant role in ending them. (That doesn’t mean vaccines aren’t playing a critical role this time. Far fewer people will die from Covid-19 because of them.)

But they end because we adapt & the pandemics become endemic as always

Untitled.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2