Expats in Thailand Can Get COVID-19 Vaccination at Phyathai 2 and Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospitals

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

More about valves.

https://bestlifeonline.com/mask-valve/

Good post; thanks.  I tried to get an N-95 without the valve but they are hard to find.  So, I'll wear my regular cloth mask underneath when in close proximity to others (i.e.: on the trip into Bangkok, and at the hospital, but N-95 alone will be great for when I'm outdoors exercising (running, cycling) since a cloth mask is horrible to wear when doing those things. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've done some further research on this.

Some responses to above.

People really should NOT be wearing N95 masks with VALVES. In certain jurisdictions and other parts of the U.S. they are BANNED. The reason is that the wearer expels from the valve. Indeed the expulsion is accelerated by the valve (it would tend to travel further making social distancing less effective). Yes they are very good protection for the user, but they are the worst option if the wearer is infected. The point of mask wearing is not only self protection. I think it is very anti-social pandemic etiquette to wear masks with valves.

You CAN cover the valves with tape. It will look goofy but that solves the above problem.

Also of course N95 masks without valves if you can actually find them and trust the quality. 

-- KN94 / KN95

If a well made product it won't be at the standard of N95 but still somewhat better than a basic surgical mask or basic cloth mask. It is hard to know if it is a good quality one though. 

Alternative to N95

Double mask. 

Surgical mask on first. Cloth mask on second.

I realize that some people are going to prioritize their own self protection. It's understandable. Nobody thinks they're infected if they don't have symptoms. But frankly if I go into a crowded indoor environment and see people with masks with valves, I will feel angry at the wearers just as if they were mask less, and in a way its arguably even worse because of the valve accelerating factor and that they'll be allowed in and not confronted.

I tried to get an N-95 without the valve but they are hard to find.  So, I'll wear my regular cloth mask underneath when in close proximity to others (i.e.: on the trip into Bangkok, and at the hospital.  Using both masks provides ideal protection for me and those around me.

N-95 alone will be great for when I'm outdoors exercising (running, cycling) since a cloth mask is horrible to wear when doing those things. 

BTW, your suggestion about disabling the filter would not be wise since it's only the filter that provides the superior protection.  The filter plus the tight seal provided by an N95 mask is what what them far superior to surgical and cloth masks, which are designed to be loose fitting.

•  
Edited by WaveHunter

On 7/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, WaveHunter said:

3M N-95 masks (8510V) use a built-in filter which provides the viral filtering instead of relying on the cloth or paper material of the mask itself to do the filtering, and since they create a perfect seal around the face, you're ensured that you are breathing adequately filtered air.

Thanks much for the detailed answer. I'm pretty familiar with 3M's various masks, and also the particular model that you've detailed here, the 8510V.

I agree it's a good choice for personal protection, and the fact you could find them to order from Lazada... But similar to Jing's comments above, I'd also agree that masks with exhale valves like the one you show are not preferred because they do NOT protect other people around you from your exhalation. But for something like outdoor exercise alone, make good sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks much for the detailed answer. I'm pretty familiar with 3M's various masks, and also the particular model that you've detailed here, the 8510V.

I agree it's a good choice for personal protection, and the fact you could find them to order from Lazada... But similar to Jing's comments above, I'd also agree that masks with exhale valves like the one you show are not preferred because they do NOT protect other people around you from your exhalation. But for something like outdoor exercise alone, make good sense.

I agree.  They do in fact make N95 masks without the valve but I was unable to find one for sale.  I plan to wear the N95 against my face for my own protection, and a cloth mask over it for other people's protection. 

A bit bulky I suppose, but the fact that the N95 does not touch the face except around the edges, it should be comfortable enough ????

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Have you received a schedule for the second jab yet????

I have not received 1st yet (tomorrow is my 1st jab) but I've read a few posts from those who received their first jab in the last two days that the 2nd is being scheduled 12 weeks from 1st job.  I think the CCSA is considering reducing it to 8 week though.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

I have not received 1st yet (tomorrow is my 1st jab) but I've read a few posts from those who received their first jab in the last two days that the 2nd is being scheduled 12 weeks from 1st job.  I think the CCSA is considering reducing it to 8 week though.

Well I said schedule, not actual jab.... 

Don't they give the appointment for the second after actually doing the first? 

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Correct for Phyathai, second shot 12 weeks out, as I found out. At the Embassy jabfest last Sunday, a friend was told to expect an SMS for the 2nd shot date. 

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe they do.  One of the posters that got his first jab at Phyathai yesterday mentioned a specific date in October that he was given.

Edited by WaveHunter