Flavored cigarettes?

I don't smoke and I know nothing about cigarettes.

My gf smokes Thai cigarettes since a long time. Now a friend gave her some flavored cigarettes. They don't have a Thai stamp and I don't think they are sold in shops like 7/11. They definitely smell better than the Thai cigarettes.

Are (some) flavored cigarettes a higher health risk than "normal" cigarettes? 

I guess I should not mention a brand name here or publish a picture. The cigarettes she smokes are supposed to have chocolate flavor - but I don't notice anything which "smells" like chocolate.

Thanks for any advice.

They are commonly called Bidi cigarettes due to their origin in India. But hard to tell what she is actually smoking. The Bidi flavored cigs are known to have far higher nicotine and tar amounts than regular cigarettes and are largely unregulated and untested to the same effect as regulars. You should try to help her quit smoking altogether.....nothing good will come of it down the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

They are commonly called Bidi cigarettes due to their origin in India. But hard to tell what she is actually smoking. The Bidi flavored cigs are known to have far higher nicotine and tar amounts than regular cigarettes and are largely unregulated and untested to the same effect as regulars. You should try to help her quit smoking altogether.....nothing good will come of it down the line.

I've smoked the bidi's in Bahrain, nasty smell and strong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonray said:

I think these Bidi cigarettes are clove flavored / mixed cigarettes. Very common in Indonesia. The clove compound is going to numb your throat and your lung tissue so you can smoke more / inhale deeper. Due to health concerns they are slowly disappering / outlawed all over the world

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I'm not sure it is the same as not flavored cigarettes.

I only know in the Netherlands there they want to ban the menthol flavor cigarettes becuase more addictive.

In the Netherlands they want to ban everything that people enjoy at the moment ???? no more buy 1 get 1 on alcohol , let bars spend a lot of money to built smoking areas and then want to take them away in their entirety , let you mix your joint with herbs as a tabacco substitute otherwise you are not allowed to smoke them " in a coffeeshop " etc . But hey i havn't been back for 6 years so there must be a lot more they did to numb the fun . 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

flavored cigarettes a higher health risk than "normal"

Oh dear, smoking is a high risk vice like a bondage. 

Is it really important to know if you die of lung cancer a few months earlier or later? 

And kissing a ash tray must be delicious to you, isn't it? ????????????

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

In the Netherlands they want to ban everything that people enjoy at the moment ???? no more buy 1 get 1 on alcohol , let bars spend a lot of money to built smoking areas and then want to take them away in their entirety , let you mix your joint with herbs as a tabacco substitute otherwise you are not allowed to smoke them " in a coffeeshop " etc . But hey i havn't been back for 6 years so there must be a lot more they did to numb the fun . 

!00% agree, that was one of the reasons i escaped that country.

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

!00% agree, that was one of the reasons i escaped that country.

Amsterdam once was fun now they have art galleries in the redlight district and banned all coffeshops from there . Not that it's a lot fun over here at the moment but still i'm happy i'm here . 

There has been a world wide clamp down on flavored cigarettes......particularly menthol, which makes it much easier to draw smoke into the lungs...........menthol is, AFAIK, banned in Thailand (if anyone knows where to buy in Thailand let me know .....I smoke about 20 a year!!!).........

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, CLW said:

I think these Bidi cigarettes are clove flavored / mixed cigarettes. Very common in Indonesia. The clove compound is going to numb your throat and your lung tissue so you can smoke more / inhale deeper. Due to health concerns they are slowly disappering / outlawed all over the world

Plenty of them in Indonesia...

I smoked for about twenty years, the last ten about three packs a day. I liked smoking. Smoking is pleasurable.

Cigarettes are not healthy. Some cigarettes are less harmful than others, but whether or not they have additional flavors really makes not difference. 

I smoked both regular and menthol at different times of my life, as well and one is no easier to smoke than another. 

I do not believe those stinking clove cigarettes are a tobacco product, so I don't think they would be considered a flavored cigarette.

As I understand it, the flavored cigarettes are being banned because they it is claimed they are targeting children. I have also heard there is a push in the US to ban menthol cigarettes because blacks smoke them disproportionately. Apparently the people wanting to ban them do not feel blacks are smart enough to understand the risks associated with smoking.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, Surelynot said:

There has been a world wide clamp down on flavored cigarettes......particularly menthol, which makes it much easier to draw smoke into the lungs...........menthol is, AFAIK, banned in Thailand (if anyone knows where to buy in Thailand let me know .....I smoke about 20 a year!!!).........

I'm pretty sure Camel Green are menthol. I have no knowledge of menthol being illegal in TH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, frantick said:

I'm pretty sure Camel Green are menthol. I have no knowledge of menthol being illegal in TH.

Maybe I have been unlucky (or need to learn Thai)........tried several 7/11's ....no joy? Even sent the Thai wife to ask....still nothing???

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Cheers.....all this for 20 a year......555

They're fairly strong menthol from what I remember. I smoked ultra light menthols in the States, but couldn't find anything here, so I smoke Camel blue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, frantick said:

They're fairly strong menthol from what I remember. I smoked ultra light menthols in the States, but couldn't find anything here, so I smoke Camel blue.

Menthol just takes that edge off the smoke, plus I like the menthol tang as well.

19 minutes ago, frantick said:

My smoking history in chronological order:

Pall Mall Gold (stolen from father)

L & M King (stolen from mother)

Marlboro Red 

Camel Filter

Viceroy Kings

Lucky Strike Kings

Lucky Strike Regular (no filter)

Kool Regular (no filter) 

Newport (got these free for about six months) 

Viceroy Kings

Quit in '89

40 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Not only US brands, also Th brands and that anywhere in the world..

That is what is confusing me.....bought L&M Green ....as I have done on occasions in the past......no way were they menthol???????? Bought two packets and ended up giving them away.

Edited by Surelynot