'Fight for vaccine': Thais snap up shots in seconds via Shopee sale

snoop1130

2021-07-09T082747Z_1_LYNXNPEH680AO_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-VACCINES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A healthcare worker holds a vial of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine at a pop-up vaccination site operated by SOMOS Community Care during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., January 29, 2021. REUTERS/Mike Segar/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A hospital in Thailand taking reservations this week for the Moderna coronavirus vaccine was sold out in minutes - after offering shots via e-commerce platform Shopee.

With a worsening outbreak and worries about the efficacy of vaccines offered locally, appetite has quickly grown in Thailand for mRNA vaccines, which aren't available until near the end of the year.

"It was sold out within minutes," a Shopee spokesperson said on Friday, adding the vaccine sale saw a spike in traffic on Phyathai Hospital's page, attracting 2.6 million visitors.

It offered 1,800 slots for doses of the Moderna vaccine at 1,650 baht ($50) apiece via Shopee, a unit of Singapore-based Sea Ltd.,

"They were sold out at record speed," the hospital's CEO Att Thongtang told Reuters. "I feel very sorry for those who missed it." One buyer called lovesujuforever wrote: "It's gone in 15 seconds and I'm so lucky to get one."

Another, labellelabel, said: "It's a fight for vaccine."

Hospital operator Thonburi Healthcare Group Pcl sold all 800,000 Moderna doses it ordered in two days, its chairman Boon Vanasin told Reuters.

Demand for the Moderna vaccine has increased after a leaked health ministry memo showed the Thai government was considering giving a booster shot of mRNA vaccine to medical workers who had already received two doses of Sinovac's vaccine.

Thailand and neighbours like Indonesia have reported breakthrough infections among medical and frontline workers inoculated with Sinovac's inactivated virus vaccine.

Thailand is also using the viral vector vaccine of AstraZeneca, but health experts have urged the government to include more mRNA vaccines in its programme, like that of Pfizer and BioNTech.

Private hospitals in Thailand, via a state procurement, will receive five million doses of the Moderna vaccine between this year and 2022. Thailand has also ordered 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, for delivery after October.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-07-09

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

GF heard it, went online but it was gone in the blink of an eye, sad reality when you have to fight to get vaccinated and other countries can't give it away.

Just a sales promotion gimmick organised by Shopee and the hospital. No different to a supermarket having a half price product in the entrance just to get customers in. Once in they find the product sold and then wander off to buy something else instead.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Via Shopee. So hilarious when considered against the idiots (sorry) who believed the propaganda that Thailand was managing all this better than almost any other countries. 

Still the same nationally disorganized, incapable of foresight people we have always known. 

this is what really happened:

hospital  opened the sale of moderna on their website at 9 am

i bought some shots for my in laws at 11 am, couldn't be arsed to hurry, was plenty time anyway

at 12 it was sold out. took 3 hours.

there wasn't much left for the shoppee sale as they sold it earlier on their own website.

but sounds different than it was sold out in seconds i guess...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

i bought some shots for my in laws at 11 am, couldn't be arsed to hurry, was plenty time anyway

Gosh how did you manage that ?....aren't you one of those Farangs, who they are conspiring not to tell .....

I mean they put an advert out in Thailand---and it was written in Thai.......The dirty rotten scoundrels

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You can get on Shopee exactly the same as a Thai can.  What makes you think that it was announced in advance in a manner designed to exclude foreigners?

Yes because it's happening time and again on Vaccine web sites. Thais getting prenotification and for a 'small' consideration profiting from that knowledge. Assistance gratefully appreciated by those registered before the app opens.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

they selling you a can of air, there is no Moderna available according SE Asia distributor for this year:

"Singapore-headquartered Zuellig is involved in the distribution, regulatory approvals and purchase contracts for Moderna Inc's vaccines for use in Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.

"A lot of the transactions that are being done today will be for 2022 ... because the supply of Moderna vaccine is pretty much exhausted already for 2021," Zuellig CEO John Graham told Reuters."

What he said may be true at this moment but the US factories are trying to crank up production and Pres Biden  is trying to get the exclusive liscense  waived on Pfizer and  Moderna so that other factories around the world could assist  in making the Mrna vaccines.

On 7/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, snoop1130 said:

It offered 1,800 slots for doses of the Moderna vaccine at 1,650 baht ($50) apiece via Shopee, a unit of Singapore-based Sea Ltd.,

“Enough madness? Enough? And how do you measure madness?”

The Joker

Grant Morrison

Batman: Arkham Asylum

This is really disgusting. 

I do shop on that site a lot (in fact, I am a platinum member... oh how hiso), but the commercial website being used to sell a vaccine. Just imagine this being offered on Amazon or eBay. It does make it worse that this is not a Thai company. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They said that they will provide you with 2 doses of Moderna all inclusive of insurances etc for 3,800 baht. I had done my research on it and said to the wife, tomorrow were going, up to you she said, walked in, paid for the 2 of us never looked back since, wife said to me, you love me so muk, I said, don't confuse love with need, i.e. someone to cook and look after me, she smiled and gave me a kiss and said you love me so muk.

Jeez man, all I have to do is give her the remote and let her choose what to watch on Netflix and say "whatever makes you happy". I get beer food, sex, anything I want.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

... but the commercial website being used to sell a vaccine.

What, like the commercial hospitals? Oh the humanity.

I paid for some air for me my wife and kids. If it means we might get a vaccine ahead of some little old lady I don't give a phvck about so be it. I care about me and mine first. So does everyone else.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

What, like the commercial hospitals? Oh the humanity.

I paid for some air for me my wife and kids. If it means we might get a vaccine ahead of some little old lady I don't give a phvck about so be it. I care about me and mine first. So does everyone else.

How sad

20 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

i used some tricks i learned over the years like clicking on the english language button on their website ????

black magic basically 

2DD7AD51-EA99-41B6-B892-B52A489FAB5E.jpeg

Tom, funny ???? but surely you've also noticed over the years that approximately 98.6% of the time, those buttons link to an empty page! ????

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

I do shop on that site a lot (in fact, I am a platinum member... oh how hiso), but the commercial website being used to sell a vaccine. Just imagine this being offered on Amazon or eBay. It does make it worse that this is not a Thai company. 

It's disgusting, agree. But, more than that it shows how perfectly disorganized the Thais are. Of course, any honest person living here would admit disorganization is a national characteristic here. 

On 7/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Thanks for the heads up in advance. These sales are kept very quiet so farang don't hear

Those foreigners who bash Thais at every moment, can't speak the language, have no interest in assimilating, are paranoid, don't read the Thai news, reap what they sow. 

• Like 1

At least Phyathai Hospital was smart enough to outsource this to a capable platform.

The usual go to Thai move is to quickly set-up a web or app, that fails on day 1.

IMO, the "government" should outsource all vaccine reservations to these platforms.

Isn't this the same hospital that put out, in English, that pre-registration will start on Monday next :

Phyathai 2 Hospital: http://phyathai2international.com/; pre-registration: 12-16 July, 09.00-12.00 hours; Vaccination: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)

I guess that the Shoppee promotion means that there is now none left for farangs ?   Or is Phyathai2 a different hospital to Phyathai ?

EDIT :  Yes, I have found the pre-registration for Phyathai2. It's a different hospital, hopefully with some vaccine in the pipeline.

Edited by Tony M