I want to import a new EV car from China ordered at Alibaba - anyone with experience?

4myr

1 minute ago, 4myr said:

I would say a very good profit for the shipping company! ???? I would suggest have a chat with various shipping companies that will handle the customs clearance for you. You heard the story that for air flight imports better deal with UPS than DHL because of the clearance fees. And perhaps also wise to have a Thai person do the asking. 

What color did you order?

Importing cars are almost not worth it with all the taxes, custom fees, red tape, etc.,

However I've ordered high taxed items worth thousands of dollars and they seem to be able to skirt custom$ somehow.  

Like Shoppee they don't get paid until the delivery and your satisfied.  Its worth talking with the representative selling the item and the fees.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, 4myr said:

I would say a very good profit for the shipping company! ???? I would suggest have a chat with various shipping companies that will handle the customs clearance for you. You heard the story that for air flight imports better deal with UPS than DHL because of the clearance fees. And perhaps also wise to have a Thai person do the asking. 

You are making a lot of assumptions, not just from my post. Not everyone needs to a Thai to translate and explain everything, doing so can lead to misunderstandings and wrong advice. I will add that we didn't get the final info on the electric bikes, mainly because there is a long wait for one. Would you trust info given by a guy on YT driving while talking? The devil is in the details they say e.g. I don't think it's illegal to import used vehicles, used dirt bikes are imported often. Maybe he is only talking about cars or maybe vehicles that can be registered?

There are pages written by people who have imported bikes and got them registered. Just because it says something on paper, doesn't mean officials will follow it.

While I encourage you for having a go, I think a lot more research has to be done. Why not start by importing a simple electric bike?

10 minutes ago, Smithson said:

You are making a lot of assumptions, not just from my post. Not everyone needs to a Thai to translate and explain everything, doing so can lead to misunderstandings and wrong advice. I will add that we didn't get the final info on the electric bikes, mainly because there is a long wait for one. Would you trust info given by a guy on YT driving while talking? The devil is in the details they say e.g. I don't think it's illegal to import used vehicles, used dirt bikes are imported often. Maybe he is only talking about cars or maybe vehicles that can be registered?

If you are willing to take the time, just watch his video first, before making assumptions what he was talking about.

I would trust his personal story which has been documented very well on his YT channel more than just an inquiry from a [commercial] shipping company who are sometimes not up-to-date with the latest regulations. I've done my brief research with similar shipping companies like you did.

Can't help on the import side and know nothing about electric Dacia's. However, if the build quality and general design of the electric one is anything like that of the conventional models on offer in the UK - boy will you be disappointed.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Can't help on the import side and know nothing about electric Dacia's. However, if the build quality and general design of the electric one is anything like that of the conventional models on offer in the UK - boy will you be disappointed.

Yes, the Dacia is rudimentary but reliable. You get what you pay for, so you better prioritize what's important to you within a more limited budget.

I will use this EV as a 2nd less polluting transport vehicle in the city/district, instead of using my Honda PCX or 24-year old reliable Honda Accord. For long distances I have another ICE car.

With a 12V-to-220V AC inverter I can use the EV as a kind of UPS system to keep the fridge/TV and lights in case PEA is down.

I need to find out how much I can drain the 12V battery, while the 27kwh traction battery is charging the 12V battery. For example the Nissan Leaf can be drained 1 kwh within 8 hrs without damaging the battery.

Sounds like the OP has his mind made up and his heart set on going ahead with the purchase.

Hope he keeps updating this thread, and letting us know how it is going for him, from shipping, customs, import, to acquiring a plate from the DLT

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes that one is very nice but starting price is 40k $ in the States. ????

How much here? 2-3 mill baht?

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

about 1,250,000 baht for the regular, commercial version, and starts at $52,974, or about 1,660,000 baht for the XLT .   

I got this info from Sanook

Edited by thaitom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Sounds like the OP has his mind made up and his heart set on going ahead with the purchase.

Hope he keeps updating this thread, and letting us know how it is going for him, from shipping, customs, import, to acquiring a plate from the DLT

Haha, then you don't know me yet.

It took me April till last week to have a DIY solar panel system designed and installed for around 40k baht, including hired labor.

I am afraid this process will take at least half a year.

I will try to recruit other people who are interested to buy an EV the same way like me to share cost and experience. So if you are interested please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4myr said:

If you are willing to take the time, just watch his video first, before making assumptions what he was talking about.

I would trust his personal story which has been documented very well on his YT channel more than just an inquiry from a [commercial] shipping company who are sometimes not up-to-date with the latest regulations. I've done my brief research with similar shipping companies like you did.

I did watch the vid, he says second hand vehicles can't be imported, yet it is happening. The devil is in the details. Electric bikes on Albaba are $3,000, the same bike is selling here for B178,000. If it could be imported without tax then there'd be a considerable saving. This is what I was looking into. I've also read they will introduce an import tax on EVs from China, as they weren't mentioned in the FTA.

Edited by Smithson

OK, just a reminder, this is NOT a Dacia. 

Dacia is a Romanian brand now owned by Renault, this is a Chinese car that may be rebranded as Dacia for the european market with appropriate safety and other upgrades. So anything you hear about Dacia robustness and reliability is moot.

Also, that 28kWh lead-acid traction battery, it will be deep-cycle but getting more than 75% of that capacity is going to seriously degrade its life. The euro model will have lithium batteries.

Also the battery is warrantied for only 100,000 km.

I wouldn't, but if it does what you want then go for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, just a reminder, the is NOT a Dacia. 

Dacia is a Romanian brand, this is a Chinese car that may be rebranded as Dacia for the european market with appropriate safety and other upgrades. So anything you hear about Dacia robustness and reliability is moot.

Also, that 28kWh lead-acid traction battery, it will be deep-cycle but getting more than 75% of that capacity is going to seriously degrade its life. The euro model will have lithium batteries.

Also the battery is warrantied for only 100,000 km.

I wouldn't, but if it does what you want then go for it.

Well I did not say that it is a Dacia.

The Dongfeng EX1 is based like the Dacia Spring on the same Renault Kwid chassis platform that was first introduced in India.

And I suspect most of the parts of the electric version are made by Dongfeng [one of the top 4 car manufacturers in China] or parts suppliers in China [need to do more research], due lower costs of having a solar/EV ecosystem of suppliers there, knowing that many car plants in the world are mere assembly lines.  

Both Dongfeng and Spring have same chassis, battery system and interior features. Just compare these 2 video's: 

Wrt to what you write about the traction battery, can you tell me what is your source? 

To my limited knowledge from internet, both have the same 26.8kwh lithium battery.

Note that the Dongfeng has an additional DC fast charge GB/T socket [can be connected to a Chademo adapter], while in the Dacia this is lacking.

I wonder if you can DC fast charge a deep cycle battery without damaging it.

6 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Wrt to what you write about the traction battery, can you tell me what is your source?

The lead-acid nature of the battery is all over the Alibaba page, nowhere does it mention lithium, it would, believe me, if it was. The car weighing in at 1.2 tons is also a clue.

That lead-acid going over 50-75% discharge kills their life is common information in the renewables world.

Anyway, you are evidently set on getting this car, it's your money and your risk.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Just now, Crossy said:

The lead-acid nature of the battery is all over the Alibaba page, nowhere does it mention lithium, it would, belive me if it was. The car weighing in at 1.2 tons is also a clue.

That lead-acid going over 50-75% discharge kills their life is common information in the renewables world.

Anyway, you are evidently set on getting this car, it's your money and your risk.

Aha, you still base Alibaba as your only source. As I said, please cross check other sources. Alibaba is a selling platform, not a source of technical specs.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Aha, you still base Alibaba as your only source. As I said, please cross check other sources. Alibaba is a selling platform, not a source of technical specs.

OK, let us know what you find when it arrives.

If you get something better than the Alibaba description that's great, if you get something that matches the Alibaba description that's what you bought, there's no come-back from "but site xyz says ...".

• Like 1

Don’t forget you will also need an import licence first from customs because of the value.

This is the customs “catch all” for when you have done everything correctly and they don’t want you to have your imported goods.  You are extremely unlikely to be granted one, without it they will impound the car.

I do drive an imported EV, but it was imported by the German manufacturer’s Thai Authorised Representative and cost more than double what it would cost me in the UK.

If you really want to go ahead, get a company that imports cars to do it for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Don’t forget you will also need an import licence first from customs because of the value.

This is the customs “catch all” for when you have done everything correctly and they don’t want you to have your imported goods.  You are extremely unlikely to be granted one, without it they will impound the car.

I do drive an imported EV, but it was imported by the German manufacturer’s Thai Authorised Representative and cost more than double what it would cost me in the UK.

If you really want to go ahead, get a company that imports cars to do it for you.

Point taken.Thanks! One of the first steps is to talk to customs.

The license thing I also read in the customs tarriff classification for motor vehicles to transport persons less than 10 persons http://itd.customs.go.th/igtf/th/main_frame.jsp?lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage&current_id=5028

5 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Point taken.Thanks! One of the first steps is to talk to customs.

The license thing I also read in the customs tarriff classification for motor vehicles to transport persons less than 10 persons http://itd.customs.go.th/igtf/th/main_frame.jsp?lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage&current_id=5028

If you are not urgent why not wait for next year when you can find the Chinese electric car here in Thailand? They are currently installing into machines and should be almost ready to produce at GM's former site in the next few months probably

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BE88 said:

If you are not urgent why not wait for next year when you can find the Chinese electric car here in Thailand? They are currently installing into machines and should be almost ready to produce at GM's former site in the next few months probably

Not urgent, and I'm open to more suggestions. But it is also more fun to have more options [from budget EV walhalla in China].

I read some sketchy news that GWM will come with the ORA Good cat [outside my budget] or the ORA R1 [not my taste].

If GWM makes [EV] cars like how MG makes ICE cars [just browse how many relatively new second hand MGs are being offered], then I prefer a car with more proven history with European/Japanese DNA. So if the Chinese manufacturer has a JV with Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi or GM, it has my preference.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4myr said:

So if you are interested please let me know.

Thanks - but EV not  for me at this point in time.

Cost - benefit ratio far from optimal, even for a hybrid.

Been smelling gasoline and diesel for too long - along with JP4 - to change.

Would buy an electric bike tho' - if the price to power ratior was even close in LOS

Here - if I want power, turbo 'Busa cheap - relatively - and easy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Found that out in my coach conversion motorhome. Keep them above 75% charge and they last years. 50% last only a few years.

This for lead acid - no fancy smancy types available in those days.

Got a set from NorthwesTel - used as backups for their microwave towers.

About 90kg each - 2V !!!