I want to import a new EV car from China ordered at Alibaba - anyone with experience?

4myr

20 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Not urgent, and I'm open to more suggestions. But it is also more fun to have more options [from budget EV walhalla in China].

I read some sketchy news that GWM will come with the ORA Good cat [outside my budget] or the ORA R1 [not my taste].

If GWM makes [EV] cars like how MG makes ICE cars [just browse how many relatively new second hand MGs are being offered], then I prefer a car with more proven history with European/Japanese DNA. So if the Chinese manufacturer has a JV with Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi or GM, it has my preference.  

I agree it is also my preference, but the most important problem is the stations to charge the batteries even if PTT has committed to build a few hundred on the roads in Thailand, that is, it will take at least a couple of years so the big car manufacturers Westerners and Japanese are waiting to introduce electric cars on the market.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Don’t forget you will also need an import licence first from customs because of the value.

This is the customs “catch all” for when you have done everything correctly and they don’t want you to have your imported goods.  You are extremely unlikely to be granted one, without it they will impound the car.

I do drive an imported EV, but it was imported by the German manufacturer’s Thai Authorised Representative and cost more than double what it would cost me in the UK.

If you really want to go ahead, get a company that imports cars to do it for you.

I've been checking the contents of Thai customs tariff database.

In the HS code range for motor vehicles for persons 8703.901100 - 8703.909900 make sure that the HS-code reported by the seller exists in the Thai customs database. I have spoken to one Alibaba seller that has a non existent HS-code in Thai db.

Also only subs 9013, 9093, 9098 requires a license due to the special nature like ambulance. 

The most obvious HS code for an EV car would be a sedan [there is no code for hatchback] - 9017, 9018 and 9097.

tariff classes.pdf

On 7/9/2021 at 3:20 PM, 4myr said:

I'm interested in this car from Alibaba. Also known as Renault Kwid KZE

they make the Renault Kwid in India, already right hand drive

SO why not nip over there, drive it back and see how long before you get stopped for driving around on 'indian reg plates' ????

On 7/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Smithson said:

I did watch the vid, he says second hand vehicles can't be imported, yet it is happening. The devil is in the details. Electric bikes on Albaba are $3,000, the same bike is selling here for B178,000. If it could be imported without tax then there'd be a considerable saving. This is what I was looking into. I've also read they will introduce an import tax on EVs from China, as they weren't mentioned in the FTA.

Huh ? The Electric bikes in China are very cheap, not thousands of dollars, you can buy them from a hundred on up. most are about 2-4 hundred.

12 hours ago, driver52 said:

they make the Renault Kwid in India, already right hand drive

SO why not nip over there, drive it back and see how long before you get stopped for driving around on 'indian reg plates' ????

The EV Kwid isn't available in India until March 2022 and the projected price is INR 10 lakh (about USD 13,500).

The Kwid does have lithium batteries, it is also 300kg lighter than the unit shown on Alibaba (lead acid batteries anyone?).

If you go to the Dongfeng site the Aeolus EX1 EV is identical spec to the Kwid.

I'm not convinced the Alibaba unit is the same spec. cheap unit for the Chinese market perhaps?

The fact that nobody tuned in has imported one, and nobody has a friend that has imported one is a red flag for me.  If I had deep pockets and planned on reselling a bunch of them for profit, I may order one to see what happens, and learn the ropes as I went along. 

But on a one-off, the risk that I'd end up with nothing but headaches and a car stuck in customs, or in my driveway because I couldn't register it, far exceeds any interest I may have in trying it.

Laymen reading Thai rules and regulations on the interweb without a thorough understanding of the complex legal and cultural tapestry surrounding those regulations is a recipe for disappointment, whether that's import regulations, DLT rules, company law, immigration law, probate law, or whatever.   It's quite common to find one official source that says yes, and another equally official source that says no.  And if you stop looking when you get the answer you want to hear, you'll miss that "no".

If you're serious about it, find an independent company (not affiliated with Toyota, Ford, etc) that deals in import cars and ask them how much $$$ to help you through the process.  You may learn a lot before you have to commit to paying them anything.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm not convinced the Alibaba unit is the same spec. cheap unit for the Chinese market perhaps?

yeah don't think I'd be buying a car off Alibaba!

I'm still not convinced by electric vehicles myself, you can get some lightweight cars with really good 3 cylinder engines now

The Suzuki Baleno with a 1 liter Boosterjet is one that springs to mind, it might only have about 110PS but it weighs about 950kg!

OP have you seen this one? they start at about 3500USD lol

6 hours ago, driver52 said:

yeah don't think I'd be buying a car off Alibaba!

I'm still not convinced by electric vehicles myself, you can get some lightweight cars with really good 3 cylinder engines now

The Suzuki Baleno with a 1 liter Boosterjet is one that springs to mind, it might only have about 110PS but it weighs about 950kg!

OP have you seen this one? they start at about 3500USD lol

The Wuling mini-ev has importers in Thailand already around 370k , still left hand drive

15 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The Wuling mini-ev has importers in Thailand already around 370k , still left hand drive

ok, informative cheers

have you seriously thought about a car or a motorbike from India and are you set on an EV?

I drive a RHD in a left hand drive country AND I actually quite like how I can see how close to the ditch/curb I am and practice taking 'the racing line' ????

If it wasn't for all this 'convid cr@p' I'd defo be interested in buying one or 2 things from India....this is a good website for 'motor related news' over there

https://www.rushlane.com/ some interesting electric motorbikes are starting to come on the market too.....

Edited by driver52

got my first quotation and product spec of the Dongfeng EX1.

Very good price indeed. FOB shipping under 2,000 USD, not bad either. Waiting for quote of forward shipping company.

Let's see if we can aim for a total of 350-400k baht [10,000 euro] for a car registered at DLT.

Confirmed that battery is lithium and has 26.8kwh capacity. 8yrs/120k km battery warranty, just have to see how/whether I can reclaim it after 3 yrs for example. For a rudimentary car It even has tire TPMS system.

Have to iron out some other requirements: form E - some say difficult, HS code - some don't comply with the tariff class for BEVs carrying persons [8703.80.xxxx]

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from my side:

1) am in the process of short listing 2 sellers with 2 car options [Dongfeng E1 and Benben E-star], that can deliver form E, proper HS code [8703.80] and proper MY of the car: 2020/2021 with low odometer.

Both cars have around 30kwh lithium battery, the Dongfeng has better mileage/kwh due to smaller engine and lower weight

2) found a local customs agent which was very difficult to find. Very helpful and knowledgable person. Can also arrange the import license paperwork. All-in around 10k baht. She also clarified the taxes at Thai customs

3) taxes and fees at Thai customs expected: 7% VAT + 8.73% excise and interior tax. I did not know that they have excise tax for cars and motorcycles https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/thailand/corporate/other-taxes. No import tax according to Thai tariff class database

I have to cater for transport [around 10k baht], Banpu testing station [30k] and car registration [5k]. So right now my price estimate for a registered car will be 363k baht. 

That is the same price you will get for an imported Wuling, however excluding VAT and car registration cost, with no warranty and a lower range [170km NEDC]. https://web.facebook.com/okoautothailand/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Next week some talks with Thai customs, Banpu testing station and DLT chatuchak to get clarity on:

1) what is regarded new vs second hand car?

2) accepted HS codes that are exempted from import tax. For example Chinese have 8703.801000 for new and exported EV cars, and this code does not exist in the online tarrif db

3) required export and car documentation for customs clearance and car registration

Will keep you posted

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 4myr said:

Just an update from my side:

1) am in the process of short listing 2 sellers with 2 car options [Dongfeng E1 and Benben E-star], that can deliver form E, proper HS code [8703.80] and proper MY of the car: 2020/2021 with low odometer.

Both cars have around 30kwh lithium battery, the Dongfeng has better mileage/kwh due to smaller engine and lower weight

2) found a local customs agent which was very difficult to find. Very helpful and knowledgable person. Can also arrange the import license paperwork. All-in around 10k baht. She also clarified the taxes at Thai customs

3) taxes and fees at Thai customs expected: 7% VAT + 8.73% excise and interior tax. I did not know that they have excise tax for cars and motorcycles https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/thailand/corporate/other-taxes. No import tax according to Thai tariff class database

I have to cater for transport [around 10k baht], Banpu testing station [30k] and car registration [5k]. So right now my price estimate for a registered car will be 363k baht. 

That is the same price you will get for an imported Wuling, however excluding VAT and car registration cost, with no warranty and a lower range [170km NEDC]. https://web.facebook.com/okoautothailand/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Next week some talks with Thai customs, Banpu testing station and DLT chatuchak to get clarity on:

1) what is regarded new vs second hand car?

2) accepted HS codes that are exempted from import tax. For example Chinese have 8703.801000 for new and exported EV cars, and this code does not exist in the online tarrif db

3) required export and car documentation for customs clearance and car registration

Will keep you posted

Dude, thanks for the update, but once you get in on order everything else will fall in place. 

Make sure the EXACT model number and configuration of whatever you're ordering is has already been approved for by someone else or it will get stuck and you will have to get it approved.