I helped out with a horrific motorcycle crash last night. 

1 hour ago, drtreelove said:

Save your holier than thou BS.  I don't spend time on bar stools and I'm a former paramedic ambulance attrendant in big city USA.  I stop and help and I still will do so, its in my blood. But it happens, I've been blamed and had to pay up to avoid a court case.  

I was driving in Samut Prakan and witnessed a taxi driver's bad lane change move and a high speed motorcycle lose it with 2 teenagers on board , end over end, and bodies flying. The disintegrating bike came close to my car, but no contact. I pulled over up ahead and walked back to render aid..  Long story short the taxi driver pinned it on me and the cops bought it. Connections in the community didn't help much, auto insurance inspector showed up two hours later and was useless, my Thai step daughter was a nurse at the nearby hospital where the inured were taken and she had a confession of drinking and speeding.  I saved a life by controlling a major bleed.  But nothing was going to change the demands by the injured families.  I'm usually very positive minded, quite lucky and I have had mostly good experiences over many years in Thailand, but it this case it was clear that the prevailing attitude was that someone had to pay and the farang could afford it.  After negotiations starting at 30,000 baht, I forked out 15K to make it go away . The motor cycle driver was fined 500 baht for no license.  Fortunately they had helmets on or there would have been two fatalities. And yeah, I could afford it, the injured were from poor families and they got good medical care.  And now I have another lesson under my belt, This is Thailand. 

I don't buy it. 

The police put the blame on you, you can take it to court. It will be easy to prove by the lack of damage on your car that it can't in any possible way be your fault.

You paid because you wanted, and that is supposing the story is real, which I highly doubt. 

There is no need for the "rich farang" to come and help the "poor thai" by forking out 15K for the thai's medical care. You yourself confirmed there was insurance. Which in my experience (and that of many others), Thai car insurances have no issue paying for good medical care.....

Edited by chiangraibob4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 12
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I was locking up the (inside) front door of our building and heard that distinctive sound of fiber glass / metal hitting the road. I knew it had to be a bike down. I went outside right away in the pouring rain and a lady was lying face down in the left lane (no helmet)

Good that you reacted fast and did your best to help her.

You must be "old". Otherwise we would see here a couple of pictures and videos and maybe a line or two: "I saw this last night and I made some pictures."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bbabythai said:

If this happens again should I be calling a general Thai EMS number or should I have the local hospital in my phone. Is there 1 emergency number in Thailand for ambos and the police?

If this happens again check for a pulse and check they haven't swallowed their tongue.A friend of ours had motorcycle accident and died and people stood around whilst he suffocated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If this happens again check for a pulse and check they haven't swallowed their tongue.A friend of ours had motorcycle accident and died and people stood around whilst he suffocated.

I will do that for sure. I didnt know that...   

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know which number to call, but, props to you for doing the right thing.

Wow, how long have you lived here?

How often do you need an emergency number?

Personally I never called an emergency number, ever, anywhere in this world.

But some time ago I saw a list of Thai emergency numbers and I added them to my phone - just in case I ever need them.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often do you need an emergency number?

Personally I never called an emergency number, ever, anywhere in this world.

But some time ago I saw a list of Thai emergency numbers and I added them to my phone - just in case I ever need them.

I'd say every 10 years on average, depending on how often you go out. Everyone in the UK knows the emergency number. 

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If you read it carefully he went to render assistance, which is commendable.Such actions can save lives if nothing else he could have yelled to raise the alarm for further assistance.

What assistance did he give he only talked to her, i don't see that as something worth making a headline " i helped out"

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think you should get out more. I've known farang to get beaten up by a mob for stopping to help. 

I’ve also known a farang who grabbed a 9mm Glock handgun and put a bullet through his own brain here in Thailand. 

Does this somehow mean that all farangs will do that same thing sooner or later? 

Talking and telling the typical bar stories  is one thing, but the full details are always left along the way! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1