I helped out with a horrific motorcycle crash last night. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you reacted fast and did your best to help her.

You must be "old". Otherwise we would see here a couple of pictures and videos and maybe a line or two: "I saw this last night and I made some pictures."

Let's hope she doesn't test positive for COVID ..........

Very brave of the OP to help, I'm not brave at all.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, chiangraibob4 said:

I’ve also known a farang who grabbed a 9mm Glock handgun and put a bullet through his own brain here in Thailand. 

Does this somehow mean that all farangs will do that same thing sooner or later? 

Depends if they have access to a 9mm Glock!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chiangraibob4 said:

I’ve also known a farang who grabbed a 9mm Glock handgun and put a bullet through his own brain here in Thailand. 

Does this somehow mean that all farangs will do that same thing sooner or later? 

Talking and telling the typical bar stories  is one thing, but the full details are always left along the way! 

I've no idea why you ask me that. 

It is not wise to stop at the scene of an accident and all foreigners that have lived here for a long time know, as do Thais. 

I don't go to bars as I don't drink. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s not foreigners who are specifically targeted by the BiB, it’s anyone. But some foreigners just give in and make themselves easy targets. 

Police target those with no influence, true, this can be any nationality and farang are easy prey. Hence, my advice, don't stop unless only you could save a life. 

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've no idea why you ask me that. 

It is not wise to stop at the scene of an accident and all foreigners that have lived here for a long time know, as do Thais. 

I don't go to bars as I don't drink. 

I ask you that, because just because something happened once, or someone says something happened to someone somewhere…. It doesn’t mean that it’s the rule nor that it will happen to everyone. 

If somebody has an accident next to your house and you help them, it’s pretty hard anyone could blame you.

If you see an accident and it’s nothing bad, no injuries, then don’t bother to stop and that way you avoid further issues. 

If you see an accident and somebody is badly injured and you can somehow contribute to them getting to live, then go ahead, and even if you have no knowledge on first aid at least ring the EMS.

Some lazy BiB could attempt to blame it on you even if you had nothing to do with it, just be defiant and you’ll be fine. They’ll find someone else eventually. 

Edited by chiangraibob4

11 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Save your holier than thou BS.  I don't spend time on bar stools and I'm a former paramedic ambulance attrendant in big city USA.  I stop and help and I still will do so,

[...]

Serious hats off to helping out, but... you should have considered taking it to court. Taxi driver would probably have completely changed his mind right away after seeing he had to find a lawyer and prove you were 100% guilty.

You are a trained paramedic, it was your duty to stop and help—the judge would have gotten that—solid defense. No damage on your car. Not blaming you at all—what you did is heroic. Continue what you do and save lives, and if someone blames you again, don't back down! Don't let these kinds of people like the taxi driver win. Cheers!

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chiangraibob4 said:

I ask you that, because just because something happened once, or someone says something happened to someone somewhere…. It doesn’t mean that it’s the rule nor that it will happen to everyone. 

If somebody has an accident next to your house and you help them, it’s pretty hard anyone could blame you.

If you see an accident and it’s nothing bad, no injuries, then don’t bother to stop and that way you avoid further issues. 

Lots of ways you can help, but that of course depends on the circumstances from being a witness, policing dash am footage etc, calling medical help, offering First Aid (even basic advice like not moving through injured person etc). 

1 hour ago, chiangraibob4 said:

If you see an accident and somebody is badly injured and you can somehow contribute to them getting to live, then go ahead, and even if you have no knowledge on first aid at least ring the EMS.

Some lazy BiB could attempt to blame it on you even if you had nothing to do with it, just be defiant and you’ll be fine. They’ll find someone else eventually. 

In Bkk I saw an accident unfold in front of me… (my car).

A motorcyclist pulled out without looking straight into another motorcyclist. 

Both hit the tarmac. The ‘idiot’ who caused the accident was very quick to get up & ride off.

The ‘victim’ who was shaken picked up his bike and moved it to the side of the road. 

I then pulled in behind him. 
Got out checked if he was ok, he was. 
BiB arrived, very polite. I sent him my Dash-cam footage. 

That was that. There was no reason not to stop & help. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s not foreigners who are specifically targeted by the BiB, it’s anyone. But some foreigners just give in and make themselves easy targets. 

Police target those with no influence, true, this can be any nationality and farang are easy prey. Hence, my advice, don't stop unless only you could save a life. 

If you are first on the scene you can save a life simply by calling for help, especially in a quiet area. 

Each situation is different & there aren’t times it’s ok to drive by, i.e. if there are already lots of ppl helping etc.

Also, there could be situations where it’s dangerous to stop (I.e. on the express way etc, especially with family in the car).

But, for the most part, when safe to do so and when anything you do can help - do so. Only an ayhole wouldn’t. 

16 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

They include 911 or 191 for emergencies, fire, or unwanted intruding animals; 1699 or 1669 (or 1646 or 1554 in Bangkok) for medical emergencies; tourist police, 1155; car theft, 1192; a taxi refusing a trip, 1584; road accidents, 1146.

How dumb is having so many numbers to remember, just plain idiotic and so typical of Thailand.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't go to bars 'cos they're all closed.

Luckily I know nothing about first aid, so I'm not a 'despicable human being' for not trying to help.

Someone who claims to have been a teacher, has been a parent, yet knows nothing of first aid, doesn’t know basic things such as the importance of not moving an injured party, doesn’t know how to check a pulse or give CPR… 

Doesn’t know how to call someone to get help ?….  (Even if calling the ‘mistress’ to call for help).

Those are some pretty basic things.

Some people look too hard for an excuse not to help. 

Utterly selfish… despicable is the right word…. 

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I would not stop in most situations and advise foreigners to do the same.

I would advise the same but probably for different reasons. It's in my DNA to help out someone in extremis, but the truth is, a lot of people that die on the roads here are probably better off dead (from the perspective they've eliminated themselves from the risk pool that threatens the safety of my own children day in day out).

If there is a child involved in the accident, I'll stop and help. I would do it in front of my dashcam so everything is recorded.

Regarding the blame game, I've been posting on this forum since it was founded under various guises. Of all the h0r$#$#!t comments I've read here over the decades (500 Baht fine, slapped wrist, every cop at a price) I don't think I've seen any of them come to pass in the real world, maybe I've been lucky. Back in the UK many years ago, my own dumbphvck sister managed to pin the blame on a family of dark people in Leicester after she caused an accident. It went to court, my sister won, but had no grounds to win. It was a disgrace. I've had a lot of dealings with the police in Thailand through my work, and for the most part they seem to do the best they can in a difficult environment (i.e. good cops failed by a bad system). . .

I posted here a month or two ago about my house getting robbed, including the CCTV footage. In that topic I read all this nonsense he'd be fined, slapped, and home by tea time. He was arrested the day after the robbery, he's still in prison today, and I expect he'll be there for years. That is the reality. . .

I'm a farang, he's Thai. Do you all get it?

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

He was there to show she wasn't alone and that help was at hand, which might not seem like much to you but you weren't there to help so he did the best he could.What you see as worth is up to you.What would you have done if it was you who saw the accident?Would you have decided it wasn't worth it?It's not easy for everyone to deal with a situation such as this in a manner that is to your liking.Don't under estimate the value of comfort as a form of assistance in situations like this because you feel it's worthless.The woman is someone's daughter, mother, sister or friend so I'm sure others would say it was worth it even if you don't.

I would have called the police. Did she even understand him, did he speak Thai? Could she understand English?

6 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I'm a farang, he's Thai. Do you all get it?

I don't generalize so much -  there are gullible, naive farang who are easily split from their cash; there are street-wise, knowledgeable ones too. There are are lo-so Thais with absolutely no influence and easy scapegoats for the influential ones. It's all about the rung status on the strict hierarchical social ladder. Most farang are not even allowed on the bottom rung, yet some are.

If I am hit by a car, do I want the naive foreigner who talks in sign language and <deleted>s their pants when they see a Thai in uniform, or do I want a Chinese Thai who thinks they are above their nouveau riche rung and refuses to give in to a lower-caste person? 

When our hotel was vandalised in 2018, I caught the person responsible on camera, even though he masked his face (I had hidden cameras he didn't know about that captured his vehicle registration). It was a nasty situation in which people were trying to intimidate my family. I was specifically targeted I guess because they thought I'd be scared as a stranger in a strange land. Not only was I not intimidated, I have heavyweight backup (read: influential). Even so, when my siblings dealt with the police, the local police chief (it went high up due to the severity of the situation and the company involved, can't say who) advised them to keep me out of the picture. Not because of any nefarious DNA in the law, but they just can't be bothered with farangs.

When I saw the guy that targeted me in the police station, panicking, trying to backpedal and yank the rod he made for his own back, it was delicious. CCTV is awesome. . . and getting back to the OP, DO get cameras in your car. I will not drive a vehicle here without cameras recording everything.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Save your holier than thou BS.  I don't spend time on bar stools and I'm a former paramedic ambulance attrendant in big city USA.  I stop and help and I still will do so, its in my blood. But it happens, I've been blamed and had to pay up to avoid a court case.  

I was driving in Samut Prakan and witnessed a taxi driver's bad lane change move and a high speed motorcycle lose it with 2 teenagers on board , end over end, and bodies flying. The disintegrating bike came close to my car, but no contact. I pulled over up ahead and walked back to render aid..  Long story short the taxi driver pinned it on me and the cops bought it. Connections in the community didn't help much, auto insurance inspector showed up two hours later and was useless, my Thai step daughter was a nurse at the nearby hospital where the inured were taken and she had a confession of drinking and speeding.  I saved a life by controlling a major bleed.  But nothing was going to change the demands by the injured families.  I'm usually very positive minded, quite lucky and I have had mostly good experiences over many years in Thailand, but it this case it was clear that the prevailing attitude was that someone had to pay and the farang could afford it.  After negotiations starting at 30,000 baht, I forked out 15K to make it go away . The motor cycle driver was fined 500 baht for no license.  Fortunately they had helmets on or there would have been two fatalities. And yeah, I could afford it, the injured were from poor families and they got good medical care.  And now I have another lesson under my belt, This is Thailand. 

I have had a similar experience, and am a fully trained MSA Senior Rally Stage Official with many hours, of First Aid and Firefighting Training.

Some time ago, stopped after seeing a Car at high speed leave the Road, and was rendering help, when a Thai Guy pulled up on a Motorcycle and started yelling " Farang , he do this, he force Lady off the Road with his Pickup  ". Another Man, also Thai , was defending me saying " no he have Heart and stop to help - I see "

My Wife dragged me away protesting about leaving this poor Lady in the Car, but she was saying " if Police come they will arrest you because of what the Guy is shouting ".

To this Day, I have always regretted not being able to help that Lady more, and she was a mess.

But I have also said to myself ( against everything I had Trained for, and my own Humanity ), that I would never stop and help again.

BTW, I also do not waste time in Bars, or sitting on Bar stools.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

a Thai Guy pulled up on a Motorcycle and started yelling " Farang , he do this, he force Lady off the Road with his Pickup  ". Another Man, also Thai , was defending me saying " no he have Heart and stop to help - I see "

Amazing, they talk to eachother in pidgin Ingrish. I never saw such a thing. It must have been for your benefit?

• Haha 2