I helped out with a horrific motorcycle crash last night. 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Neeranam said:

Would you like everyone to have this attitude? What if you had an accident?

If I have an accident I don't want people with no idea of proper first aid interfering, as they could make my situation worse.

If I die, well, we all die sometime.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:15 AM, ChrisKC said:

Good job Doctors and nurses don't think like that. And at first glance, how do you know you don't know them??

The idea of stopping and helping is when nobody else is around or believe we have something to offer the situation.

Telling us you don't care is callous and not very endearing but I know your reply will be, you are not looking for endearment

Why has this topic, that suggests some humanity is still within some of us, creating such conflict and cynicism?

Please Britman Too and others, I don't want to hear it!

Drs and nurses ( should ) know what to do. IMO most passersby don't know proper first aid and could cause worse problems by interfering.

While the impulse to help is admirable, help needs to be informed by proper training.

I speak as a properly trained first aider.

Others may have a different opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I have an accident I don't want people with no idea of proper first aid interfering, as they could make my situation worse.

If I die, well, we all die sometime.

I think that is definitely a valid point. 
When I have helped out at an accident is was to ensure the injured party was breathing, had a pulse, was not bleeding excessively and was not moved. 

Another part of being first at the scene was ensuring no danger from elsewhere, approaching cars etc (we were still in the road).

Contrary to what some are suggesting the Thai folk who also stopped or appeared were also helpful and responded well when I asked them to turn on the lights on their phones, go down the road & slow down traffic etc

One of my main concerns was not getting the blood on my, the injured guy had the back of his scalp hanging off. 

Being fatalistic is a flawed concept when people can help. I can help, so I don’t want to standby (or drive by) and suggest ‘it was their time, we all die sometime’. 

Equally so, if involved in an accident I don’t want to be picked up and thrown onto the bed of a pickup by a bunch of goons, particularly if I may have a spinal injury. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Drs and nurses ( should ) know what to do. IMO most passersby don't know proper first aid and could cause worse problems by interfering.

While the impulse to help is admirable, help needs to be informed by proper training.

Basic first aid does not require significant training. 
Check breathing, check pulse, stop excessive bleeding, do not move…

Anyone can do CPR after watching a 5min video. 
Anyone can put pressure on a wound.

Anyone can tell others not to pickup & move an injured person until trained medical care arrives. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Its true what you say. But I remind you that I was effectively first on the scene and stopped for two reasons, one because I COULD do something beneficial if needed and since I was an eye witness as well, I could confirm exactly what happened if needed to. It is important also that the precise scene of the accident needs to be protected from further traffic involvement. With a body and a broken motorcycle in the road, who knows that an incident can be further exacerbated by others, on their phone or putting their lipstick on!

I doubt that many First Aiders or Doctors and Nurses would be conveniently around in place or time but I know enough basic stuff (yes, I have passed my First Aid exam) as well as remaining calm and being continuously alert as circumstances may develop around me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone can do CPR after watching a 5min video. 

Really? Strange then that every year we had to do a refresher course lasting an afternoon, when we could have just watched a 5 minute VDO and gone back to work.

Does your 5 minute VDO show how to check for spinal injuries before extending the head to open the airway, or how to open the airway without moving the head? Does it show how to safely check for an obstruction in the airway? Does it show how to safely put someone in the recovery position?

I think not.

Takes a lot longer to learn to do CPR properly, which is why medical professionals have to learn it on a course using a practice dummy.

I hope I never have someone that learned from a 5 minute VDO trying to resuscitate me.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:25 PM, bbabythai said:

I will do that for sure. I didnt know that...   

First of all make sure you and the injured part are safe from vehicles hitting you.

If you are the first responder telephone emergency services.

If they happen to be wearing a crash helmet do not remove it unless its obviously causing breathing issues.

Avoid moving them unless you they are in a life threatening situation.

Avoid giving them food/drink as it may hinder treatment at hospital..

Reassure them whilst waiting for emergency services.

If you have no first aid training avoid giving treatment but if obvious high blood flow use some clothing as a pad to stem flow but not tourniquet.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 11:23 PM, 2 is 1 said:

When i hit soi dog whit motorpike i get right away help from locals front of accident place. Ok it was in our village and people know me but help was great! Guy even bring me right away big class of Laokhao and Chang lol. Same time when i drink "medicine" he clean my wounds. Hes wife get her own motor and go to pick up my wife and father in law . After i m not bleed like water tab anymore my wife drive me hospital.

Thai people are helpful. But a big glass of lao khao and a beer after an accident? Not very prudent, and not necessarily for health reasons....????

On 7/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, chiangraibob4 said:

I don't buy it. 

The police put the blame on you, you can take it to court. It will be easy to prove by the lack of damage on your car that it can't in any possible way be your fault.

You paid because you wanted, and that is supposing the story is real, which I highly doubt. 

There is no need for the "rich farang" to come and help the "poor thai" by forking out 15K for the thai's medical care. You yourself confirmed there was insurance. Which in my experience (and that of many others), Thai car insurances have no issue paying for good medical care.....

The number of posters refuting your nonsense with details of their own experiences,coupled with your naïveté ( Thai court ????) have made you look a bit of an ill informed embarrassment to yourself. You can delete your comment to avoid further humiliation,I understand..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really? Strange then that every year we had to do a refresher course lasting an afternoon, when we could have just watched a 5 minute VDO and gone back to work.

Me too.. Refreshers are a great thing. But that does not mean people who have not done basic first aid course are incapable of saving a life and can only standby doing nothing - that idea would be preposterous.

Does your 5 minute VDO show how to check for spinal injuries before extending the head to open the airway, or how to open the airway without moving the head? Does it show how to safely check for an obstruction in the airway? Does it show how to safely put someone in the recovery position?

I think not.

Does your training teach you how to treat a collapsed lung ? - I think you get my point... 

IF someone is not breathing the importance is getting blood circulating as soon as possible, even CPR for 5-10 mins can save a life before trained personal arrive on the scene. In this case CPR does not require an open airway, it does not require a breath, the blood already contains sufficient oxygen to keep the brain alive. 

Takes a lot longer to learn to do CPR properly, which is why medical professionals have to learn it on a course using a practice dummy.

Which helps improve technique, great. But that does not mean someone who has watched how to do CPR but never practiced it is incapable. 

I hope I never have someone that learned from a 5 minute VDO trying to resuscitate me.

Suggesting you would rather die than receive CPR from an untrained person is somewhat of a foolish position to present for the sake of winning an argument !!!....  Would you really rather someone just stood by thinking ‘I seen CPR done, but I won’t try because I have not practiced it'  ??? 

Even poor chest compressions are better than none. Of course, spinal injuries add a level of complexity, but If someones heart has stopped they will die very quickly. 

More important than getting oxygen into the body is getting the blood circulating to the brain (as the blood already contains O2).

It seems you would be on of those people in an emergency arguing the right way to do CPR etc rather than getting on with it and saving a life. 

I can imagine you at the scene of an accident... "Are you trained ????? NO ?? then stop trying to save that dying man” !!!!!! 

On 7/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, FritsSikkink said:

What assistance did he give he only talked to her, i don't see that as something worth making a headline " i helped out"

Frits is back , unbelievable how descending you can be . This person went to the scene of the accident and talked to the lady that was clearly injured . Talking to someone in a situation like this can help a great deal to keep them consious and keep them from slipping away . But i bet you helped a lot of people in your lifetime . You must have a pittifull life i really never see you comment anything possitive only bashing people and being negative . I bet you are from the netherlands and lived in a small village where everybody knows eachother . Some place like Volendam where there's only inbreed . These people helo and actualy do something rather then sitting behind their keyboard and being negative . There is contact info on TV to get in contact with the good sammaritan i think you need that . Maybe you need a good talk with someone . 

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, chiangraibob4 said:

I don't buy it. 

The police put the blame on you, you can take it to court. It will be easy to prove by the lack of damage on your car that it can't in any possible way be your fault.

You paid because you wanted, and that is supposing the story is real, which I highly doubt. 

There is no need for the "rich farang" to come and help the "poor thai" by forking out 15K for the thai's medical care. You yourself confirmed there was insurance. Which in my experience (and that of many others), Thai car insurances have no issue paying for good medical care.....

you've never had things like this happen to you ?

I got blamed by Thais when a truck ran a red light and i T boned into him on my bike

Was told i should have seen him and stopped !

Luckily my insurance rep sorted it all out, but my insurance had to pay for his damage too

On 7/9/2021 at 11:23 PM, 2 is 1 said:

When i hit soi dog whit motorpike i get right away help from locals front of accident place. Ok it was in our village and people know me but help was great! Guy even bring me right away big class of Laokhao and Chang lol. Same time when i drink "medicine" he clean my wounds. Hes wife get her own motor and go to pick up my wife and father in law . After i m not bleed like water tab anymore my wife drive me hospital.

Where you were tested for alcohol and charged!????

23 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

you've never had things like this happen to you ?

I got blamed by Thais when a truck ran a red light and i T boned into him on my bike

Was told i should have seen him and stopped !

Luckily my insurance rep sorted it all out, but my insurance had to pay for his damage too

You mean you were suckered into accepting blame because the other guy had no insurance and you signed the insurance paper.... 

A not too dissimilar thing happened to me. I was involved in an accident. I was turning right from a main road, a car tried to overtake me at the same time. I was indicating, not my fault. The other vehicle (a minivan) was not insured. I had first class insurance. Taking the path of least resistance the BiB tried to blame me. Quicker and easier for everyone, except I refused to accept and sign for blame for damage to the other vehicle. 

This was never a case of ‘blaming the farang’ it was simply a case of blaming whoever had insurance and could pay, the BiB would also have tried to blame Thai in my position. 

I saw this for what it was without the paranoia of thinking like a victim and that ‘the BiB will always blame the farang’- in fact this event cemented my understanding that if we handle a situation well we are often treated more favourably - that has been my experience for over 20 years here. 

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Where you were tested for alcohol and charged!????

Why somebody test my alcohol level? Like i have say before biggest police is my friend and wifes relative. Hospital was free (wife is goverment officer) but i give them money because i get good treatment. Anyway i was not drunk when accident happen and all my beer what i was "horsing" get broken in dog's as....s....

Edited by 2 is 1

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

A very sad state of affairs, but the sensible thing in Thailand is to never get involved, ever.  

come on mate. Too many bar stool stories are effecting you. 

Are you telling me that if someone has a bike accident right in front of you, you will not do anything to help out. Get real

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Frits is back , unbelievable how descending you can be . This person went to the scene of the accident and talked to the lady that was clearly injured . Talking to someone in a situation like this can help a great deal to keep them consious and keep them from slipping away . But i bet you helped a lot of people in your lifetime . You must have a pittifull life i really never see you comment anything possitive only bashing people and being negative . I bet you are from the netherlands and lived in a small village where everybody knows eachother . Some place like Volendam where there's only inbreed . These people helo and actualy do something rather then sitting behind their keyboard and being negative . There is contact info on TV to get in contact with the good sammaritan i think you need that . Maybe you need a good talk with someone . 

I couldnt have said it better myself. 

12 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

come on mate. Too many bar stool stories are effecting you. 

Are you telling me that if someone has a bike accident right in front of you, you will not do anything to help out. Get real

That is a very wide question, but generally, if others are around then no, I would not stop.  On a country road with nobody else around, provided my  dash cam was up and working, then common humanity say that I would stop and help, indeed I have done so in the past, but in a city or town, no chance. I work to the sensible maxim that in Thailand, we are none of us farangs  in Kansas anymore. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean you were suckered into accepting blame because the other guy had no insurance and you signed the insurance paper.... 

A not too dissimilar thing happened to me. I was involved in an accident. I was turning right from a main road, a car tried to overtake me at the same time. I was indicating, not my fault. The other vehicle (a minivan) was not insured. I had first class insurance. Taking the path of least resistance the BiB tried to blame me. Quicker and easier for everyone, except I refused to accept and sign for blame for damage to the other vehicle. 

This was never a case of ‘blaming the farang’ it was simply a case of blaming whoever had insurance and could pay, the BiB would also have tried to blame Thai in my position. 

I saw this for what it was without the paranoia of thinking like a victim and that ‘the BiB will always blame the farang’- in fact this event cemented my understanding that if we handle a situation well we are often treated more favourably - that has been my experience for over 20 years here. 

nope, never signed anything 

Only found out afterwards that they said i was to blame, 

bike was taken to dealers, they and the insurance sorted everything out themselves, all i had to do was agree to the policy excess

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is a very wide question, but generally, if others are around then no, I would not stop.  On a country road with nobody else around, provided my  dash cam was up and working, then common humanity say that I would stop and help, indeed I have done so in the past, but in a city or town, no chance. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is a very wide question, but generally, if others are around then no, I would not stop.  On a country road with nobody else around, provided my  dash cam was up and working, then common humanity say that I would stop and help, indeed I have done so in the past, but in a city or town, no chance. 

Not a real Doctor then! Only when the circumstances are right for YOU, not the accident victim. Not the kind of doctor I want in my hour of need, whatever country I am in!

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

nope, never signed anything 

Only found out afterwards that they said i was to blame, 

bike was taken to dealers, they and the insurance sorted everything out themselves, all i had to do was agree to the policy excess

So it cost you your policy excess... Rather annoying -

Thats the BiB taking the path of least resistance... Blaming whoever was easiest to blame. 

You couldn’t speak Thai and you had insurance, so they figured just let your insurance pay for it. 

The other truck probably didn’t have insurance. 

I don’t see this as pinning the blame on the ‘farang’... it just a lazy way of dealing with it.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Not a real Doctor then! Only when the circumstances are right for YOU, not the accident victim. Not the kind of doctor I want in my hour of need, whatever country I am in!

I am a 'real doctor', as you put it, just one of 'Particle Physics and Cosmology', not medicine,  therefore my title of 'Doctor' is not an honorary title, but one that was earned through a PhD.  As to your implied criticism of my hypothetical reaction to observing incidents here, good luck if you involve yourself in all external incidents in this place.  Experience and background knowledge tells me that it is a rather naive way to presume to act in Thailand, but each to his own way of living here. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:
18 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

18 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

To be fair, these are reasonable circumstances. 

If other people are around helping, then there may be no need to be there. 

If we are first on the scene then of course we should help, but with the caveat that the primary factor remains the safety of our self and that of anyone we are with (i.e. family). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

If we are first on the scene then of course we should help, but with the caveat that the primary factor remains the safety of our self and that of anyone we are with (i.e. family). 

Very well put. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am replying to what Doctor?Tom actually, said "no chance if in the city etc". I have already stated clearly in all my remarks that when one's help is needed, I will give it wherever it is. I never stop at an accident scene where it is obvious people are around and have already called the emergency services. They don't need me for anything! To keep mentioning this is a 'red herring'!

Why the caveat? it is almost certain that the priority will be with the accident victim, consequences, if at all, will occur afterwards.

Not sure why there is any conflict here, it must be a great rarity to be first on the scene where one's help is needed. I have been in Thailand 18 years and only had an occasion just once to stop and even then I didn't need to do much!

My heart is in the right place - for my fellow man!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am replying to what Doctor?Tom actually, said "no chance if in the city etc". I have already stated clearly in all my remarks that when one's help is needed, I will give it wherever it is. I never stop at an accident scene where it is obvious people are around and have already called the emergency services. They don't need me for anything! To keep mentioning this is a 'red herring'!

No one is debating the need to stop if emergency services are present - you have imagined such comments. 

IF people are already present they may still not know first aid, so it may make a difference to stop and help. Usually, if lots of people are around emergency services have been called an first aid is being already rendered already - thats not a red herring, thats a logical approach.

First on the scene is different.

Why the caveat? it is almost certain that the priority will be with the accident victim, consequences, if at all, will occur afterwards.

The caveat is necessary... while I want to stop the priority is with my family, there are situations where it may be unsafe to stop. 

i.e. if travelling on the express way with my Wife and Son and an accident unfolds in front of me - I am unlikely to stop as stopping on the express way may place my Wife and Son in far greater danger than is faced by the accident victim. 

Not sure why there is any conflict here, it must be a great rarity to be first on the scene where one's help is needed. I have been in Thailand 18 years and only had an occasion just once to stop and even then I didn't need to do much!

Agreed... in 20 years just twice.

My heart is in the right place - for my fellow man!

• Like 1