Most dangerous vehicle in ChiangMai Province or anywhere else

Kanada

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the biggest problem is the police who does not enforce the existing laws.

I remember a trip in a van from Hat Yai to the Thai Malaysia border and then into Malaysia.

On the road up to the border Thais drove like Thais. And then in Malaysia it seems everybody followed the rules.

I asked our driver and he told me in Malaysia the police enforces the rules and it's expensive. That is why they follow the rules...

Yes,OMF, I had the same experience on a trip from Krabi to Malaysia.  Very frightening trip on a van in Thailand but quite safe feeling whilst in transit to Penang.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the biggest problem is the police who does not enforce the existing laws.

I remember a trip in a van from Hat Yai to the Thai Malaysia border and then into Malaysia.

On the road up to the border Thais drove like Thais. And then in Malaysia it seems everybody followed the rules.

I asked our driver and he told me in Malaysia the police enforces the rules and it's expensive. That is why they follow the rules...

Sadly expensive to have police enforce the rules too….expensive means taxes go up!

I think k it would be worth the tax increase but many would disagree

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

My nomination would be the traveller van/mini-buses. The drivers are super agressive lunatics and road bullies. High risk passing, tailgating, speeding, cutting people off.... they are a ruthless threat to safety.

Yes…they would be my very close “second choice”….went on a few excursions when I first came to Thailand and was amazed at the tricks they pulled….bullies is the term!

5 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Sadly expensive to have police enforce the rules too….expensive means taxes go up!

I think k it would be worth the tax increase but many would disagree

Not really. The police receive 95% of the value of a ticket they issue. That 95% is is pooled with others that are not frontline, so to speak, back at the station. The remaining 5% goes to the government. 

The 95% is on top of their normal police wage.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It's because they think their pickups are sports cars, when in reality these trucks have very limited grip because of their antiquated rear suspension which even in this day and age, is only slightly more advanced than what was fitted to Ben Hur's chariot.

And remember that many of these trucks have had extra leaf springs and shock absorbers fitted to the rear which reduces the traction even more.

And then add to that a bunch of drivers who are brought up to believe that accidents only happen to other people....

And many also have an extra or bigger Turbo fitted for the Racing on the Weekends

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not really. The police receive 95% of the value of a ticket they issue. That 95% is is pooled with others that are not frontline, so to speak, back at the station. The remaining 5% goes to the government. 

I can’t find anything anywhere that says that’s where the money from traffic tickets goes!

They issued 11 million tickets last year and more than 80% were ignored so now there is a new ticket system with a barcode…if you do t pay the ticket you can’t register your vehicle again (until it’s paid that  is). I agree completely with this new system….consequences always works!!

REVISED:

Pol Lt Gen Kraiboon Suadsong, head of a police committee in charge of solving traffic snarls in Metropolitan Bangkok, said 13,515,036 traffic tickets had been issued this year as of October 7 and recorded in the Royal Thai Police Ticket Management System.
But only 2,338,968 of the drivers ticketed had paid their fines, leaving the rest – 83 per cent – in violation of the law.

http://archive.nationmultimedia.com/photos/2018/October/19/4c372cba0d25c8db4dd126ad9d9077f9.jpeg
Of the 13.5 million tickets, 2.31 million were issued on the spot, while the rest were mailed to drivers caught on camera violating traffic laws.

Edited by Kanada

2 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I can’t find anything anywhere that says that’s where the money from traffic tickets goes!

There's plenty of info out there. Best option is to ask a policeman. That's how I confirmed it to be true.

Under the Article 44 order, the Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the finei money to traffic police.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It's because they think their pickups are sports cars, when in reality these trucks have very limited grip because of their antiquated rear suspension which even in this day and age, is only slightly more advanced than what was fitted to Ben Hur's chariot.

And remember that many of these trucks have had extra leaf springs and shock absorbers fitted to the rear which reduces the traction even more.

And then add to that a bunch of drivers who are brought up to believe that accidents only happen to other people....

Many new pickup trucks are dressed up like sports cars which encourages them to drive fast .

I would impose a 80 km max speed limit for these vehicles as they are not stable at high speeds . But of course it would need to be policed and that does not seem possible .

These and the similar looking delivery vans all drive like lunatics. I'm wondering if they have tight schedules to keep to because I often see them bobbing and weaving through traffice at dangerously fast speeds. Recently I saw one weaving between lanes going so fast that the van quite literally went on 2 wheels dukes of hazard style (was very close to fliipping). Didn't seem to bother them as they continued on their merry way in much the same manner!

11 minutes ago, itsari said:

Many new pickup trucks are dressed up like sports cars which encourages them to drive fast .

I would impose a 80 km max speed limit for these vehicles as they are not stable at high speeds . But of course it would need to be policed and that does not seem possible .

They aren’t race cars but they are pretty amazing vehicles these days and more stable than you might think!

Its the same in Canada….speed shops everywhere in every city dedicated to half ton pickup trucks!

These Thailand delivery trucks are “one tons” with 12 ply tires not meant to corner at speed!

The 12 ply tire is almost as rough as Solis rubber tires and poor traction at best!

The WORST thing of all is by the time they’ve filled that new pickup with fuel three times they’ve lost the fuel cap and until they burn the top part of the tank every time whet go around a tight turn they run diesel fuel out on the road on lee side of the truck andin the tightest and worst part of the curve!

whenever they come off a side road onto the highway with a full tank of fuel….same thing depending whether they turn left or right!

If you’re riding a motorbike you’d better be aware or you’ll be down and wondering how that happened????

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Very true .   But one would hope ( one being me) ....... that the laws are not enforced in quite the same manner as the US or Australia.    If that be the case we will have storm troopers screaming at us to get out of the car,  guns drawn....... for going 2 km over the speed limit and daring to ask any question.

While we're on the subject,  what's with all the scratched and whited out license plates?

All they would have to do is put a lock on the wheels of any vehicle doing that.   Two days, end of that strategy !

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Kanada said:
1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You don't need to find it.   IvorBiggun2 has told you where it goes, and the proportions, that should be enough for you and if he says that only B25 of a B500 fine goes to the government that must be right!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1