Most dangerous vehicle in ChiangMai Province or anywhere else

Kanada

45 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Yes, especially Fortuners driven by neocolonial  "lorry" drivers and bricklayers who retired to Thailand and became arrogant daredevils. 

FiF, Farang in Fortuner, half drunk and wife or gf 30years younger texting her Thai boyfriend while he thinks he's king of the world. Add on the newly acquired Tattoos the grey hair dyed brown, it's an hilarious but somewhat sad sight, eventually most join ThaiVisa and spend the rest of their days moaning and whining, blaming Thailand and Thai people for the mess they made of their lives.

Edited by Broken Record
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You don't need to find it.   IvorBiggun2 has told you where it goes, and the proportions, that should be enough for you and if he says that only B25 of a B500 fine goes to the government that must be right

I believe facts and haven’t seen any yet…just opinions as usual!

Ten opinions and fifty baht will get you an Americano ️ 

• Confused 1

My viewpoint:

crazy and dangerous driving doesn't depend on the size of the car or the brand-name. Maybe in a low percentage. In Germany and other Western countries this prejudice is confirmed by a low percentage of BMW-, Benz- and Porsche-drivers. But you have a lot of driving idiots sitting in other "cheap" cars, too.

But in Thailand there is another remarkable problem: driver licence, which can be bought like a kilo of apples. Many. many Thais don't konw the trafiic rules or don't want to respect them - for whatever reason.

The trafffic on the streets depends on obeying the rules. Rules belong to traffic as by playing football, chess etc. . Otherwise there is chaos on the streets or are too many accidents as in Thailand. Every day I go to our main road, I see this confirmed. And that includes motorbikes, too. Overtaking in curves, using the  mobile when driving, incredible und irresponsible high speed, ..... the list goes on.

Therefore the offices/organisations, responsible for the driver licenses, should be pressed to a better = more effective traffic-education. It should be much more controled, to whom they  hand out the licenses for money . That means saving lives or horrible injuries.

I stay with the forists, that the rules must be controlled by police, otherwise you have chaos and a lot of deaths. and injuries.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kanada said:

I can’t find anything anywhere that says that’s where the money from traffic tickets goes!

They issued 11 million tickets last year and more than 80% were ignored so now there is a new ticket system with a barcode…if you do t pay the ticket you can’t register your vehicle again (until it’s paid that  is). I agree completely with this new system….consequences always works!!

REVISED:

Pol Lt Gen Kraiboon Suadsong, head of a police committee in charge of solving traffic snarls in Metropolitan Bangkok, said 13,515,036 traffic tickets had been issued this year as of October 7 and recorded in the Royal Thai Police Ticket Management System.
But only 2,338,968 of the drivers ticketed had paid their fines, leaving the rest – 83 per cent – in violation of the law.

http://archive.nationmultimedia.com/photos/2018/October/19/4c372cba0d25c8db4dd126ad9d9077f9.jpeg
Of the 13.5 million tickets, 2.31 million were issued on the spot, while the rest were mailed to drivers caught on camera violating traffic laws.

Buggar !!!

not paid a ticket for at least 3 years, and seem to get quite a few, so will be interesting to see when i go tax may car next time

But taxed it in December, no problems 

Better start saving up , 555

Of course every generalization can be picked apart, but it’s a generalization for a reason. 

In general, in Bangkok it’s the other motorcyclists which present the greatest risk to be when riding followed by the smaller Soi busses & the refrigerated food delivery trucks. 

For the most part in Bkk the other cars, taxis etc are quite conscious of motorcyclists and don’t pull silly stunts or pull out quickly

……for the most part !!!  But it still happens at least once per journey but that’s about 1 in every 500 drivers. 

Edited by richard_smith237

18 hours ago, Broken Record said:

FiF, Farang in Fortuner, half drunk and wife or gf 30years younger texting her Thai boyfriend while he thinks he's king of the world. Add on the newly acquired Tattoos the grey hair dyed brown, it's an hilarious but somewhat sad sight, eventually most join ThaiVisa and spend the rest of their days moaning and whining, blaming Thailand and Thai people for the mess they made of their lives.

Good grief! You're beginning to sound a bit like a broken record.

Oh, wait...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

My nomination would be the traveller van/mini-buses. The drivers are super agressive lunatics and road bullies. High risk passing, tailgating, speeding, cutting people off.... they are a ruthless threat to safety.

These people seemed crazy to me around Bangkok, but in Chiang Mai province not too bad. 

Almost every Mercedes or BMW driver seems to be an <deleted> here by the way, expecting all other traffic to make room for them while they tend to drive at very high speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Guilty as charged ????

Edited by wolf81
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 2long said:

Toyota Fortuners are (in my opinion) the worst vehicles on the road, because most of these people have humble/low-income ancestry but recently became wealthy... therefore they have the worst of both mentalities.

The black "Tough guy" pick ups/SUVs with the blacked out windows are the worst in my experience but all the 4x4/pick-ups/ SUVs are bad.

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember a trip in a van from Hat Yai to the Thai Malaysia border and then into Malaysia.

On the road up to the border Thais drove like Thais. And then in Malaysia it seems everybody followed the rules.

I remember touring around the deep south provinces and wondering why the motorists seemed to be better drivers than elsewhere in Thailand. I figured it was due to the influence of Malays driving across the borders for the Thai poontang.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Kanada said:

Sadly expensive to have police enforce the rules too….expensive means taxes go up!

I think k it would be worth the tax increase but many would disagree

In Mae Sot and Ranong everyone wears helmets. In Mae Sot the M/C taxis insist on the passenger wearing a helmet and in Ranong, every time I left a hotel the staff would remind me to wear a helmet.

I don't know why the police elsewhere can't enforce the helmet law and most others too.

Edited by bobandyson

We, when I say we, I mean the wife, have a 2018 Ford Ranger Limited which the wife likes to drive at around 140mph sometimes. A bit bouncy, but otherwise not a bad ride. Keeping to speed limits doesn't exist. Overtaking sometimes can be fraught, but not that often.

Figuring out what other drivers are going to do is a real test. I have found that the worst things on the road, for me, are: racing minibusses, blacked out window VIP transport, boy racers, other pickup drivers, busses that don't signal, the bloody 2 wheeled tractors with enormous trailers with no lights pulling out of fields without looking, and don't get me started on bikes...

Last night, driving back from a dinner out, we were progressing nicely from traffic lights, when the Bangkok plated car in front decided to pull off left, onto the off slip road of a dual carriageway to go on the wrong side presumably to go back to Bangkok.

I watch YouTube videos of idiots in other countries to remind myself that Thailand doesn't have the monopoly on moronic drivers.

21 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Not really. The police receive 95% of the value of a ticket they issue. That 95% is is pooled with others that are not frontline, so to speak, back at the station. The remaining 5% goes to the government. 

The 95% is on top of their normal police wage.

This masks the fact that what the individual on-the-street cop actually  receives is a small fraction of the take, and, the "normal" wage is not high for the street cop.

(may be out of date, or changed ?) They also have to buy their own guns: "With respect to firearms, no standard-issue hand guns are carried by the Royal Thai Police. Police officers must buy their own weapon." click

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

The black "Tough guy" pick ups/SUVs with the blacked out windows are the worst in my experience but all the 4x4/pick-ups/ SUVs are bad.

They seem that way if you're driving the wife's Honda City, but get in your own Fortuner and you'll have a different perception, I notice that I drive more cautiously  in the Honda City, whereas in my Fortuner ( No Blacked out windows ) I'm emboldened and will pull out on a road and other cars will give way, I guess bigger cars get more respect by smaller cars, nothing to do with tough guy, that's your own insecurity.

I'm 6ft 3ins 230 Lbs of pure handsomeness, a lot of guys feel insecure around me, I command respect when I walk due to my sheer awesomeness, my girlfriend doesn't text her Thai boyfriend when I'm in the same room, she shows respect by texting from the toilet, my Fortuner gets the same respect from drivers of smaller cars.

Drive safely chaps, and remember you ain't in your home countries anymore ( Many of you are , but you know what I mean ). I find driving in Thailand rather pleasant, I have been driving here a long time and have got used to it, also I came to live  here in my 30's so I wasn't too old to adapt, if I had been old it may have been different. ????

• Like 1

Additionally, what baffles me is that many of these who do not adequately maintain their vehicles, out of lack of funds or ignorance, have no problem driving like madmen and reducing their fuel consumption by half and pissing away baht.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the biggest problem is the police who does not enforce the existing laws.

I remember a trip in a van from Hat Yai to the Thai Malaysia border and then into Malaysia.

On the road up to the border Thais drove like Thais. And then in Malaysia it seems everybody followed the rules.

I asked our driver and he told me in Malaysia the police enforces the rules and it's expensive. That is why they follow the rules...

Good observation and comment ... Yep the deterrent by way of threat of punishment is a powerful motivator. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

These and the similar looking delivery vans all drive like lunatics. I'm wondering if they have tight schedules to keep to because I often see them bobbing and weaving through traffice at dangerously fast speeds. Recently I saw one weaving between lanes going so fast that the van quite literally went on 2 wheels dukes of hazard style (was very close to fliipping). Didn't seem to bother them as they continued on their merry way in much the same manner!

Yeh, delivery services, that's a new phenomenon, and not finished yet, that's going to get much worse, including the motobikes.

Most dangerous vehicle in ChiangMai Province or anywhere else 

Every Vehicle can and will be dangerous if driven with Ignorant,Non caring Idiots Driving them, 

There's Nothing wrong with any vehicle if used for the purpose it's made for and driven accordingly.  But then this is Thailand and they do what they want .

The cops are the same so one can't expect them to do anything about the enforcement of the traffic Laws

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Yes, especially Fortuners driven by neocolonial  "lorry" drivers and bricklayers who retired to Thailand and became arrogant daredevils. 

I can never see the drivers but there is a black Fortuner that is always on my butt... he pops up everywhere,,, 

On 7/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, 2long said:

Toyota Fortuners are (in my opinion) the worst vehicles on the road, because most of these people have humble/low-income ancestry but recently became wealthy... therefore they have the worst of both mentalities.

Fortuners + all pick-ups. Absolutely

• Like 2

what driver profiles and vehicles types are NOT Dangerous here....? worst worldwide road deaths here.

fatalistic philosophy & proper (defensive) driving training are rarely compatible (eg. here,Egypt, Saudi)

for me the worst here are the silver “road rat” minibuses and the sidecar contraptions.......

i despair when I see expats riding illegal sidecars with kids & business equipment.......even dive shops

any insurance null and void......

5 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I remember touring around the deep south provinces and wondering why the motorists seemed to be better drivers than elsewhere in Thailand. I figured it was due to the influence of Malays driving across the borders for the Thai poontang.

I don't see any difference between drivers in the deep south and anywhere else in TH. Some of the Malaysian drivers act as crazy as some of the Thai drivers, as they know exactly how the policing works here (it rather seems as some of them enjoy the road frenzy here, as they can't do it back home).

On 7/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, worgeordie said:

Most vehicles are not dangerous..... most drivers are, plus

the way they load them, 3-4 tons on a 1 ton truck, springs

from a ten tonne truck, bigger tyres on the rear, but what

about the brakes......

regards Worgeordie

Same as driving a 135CC motorcycle at 90Km/Hr on Sukhumvit.....