Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

46 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you can renew at any time here in Thailand - or just get a different type if an issue (not more than couple hundred baht).  Do not believe any option outside Thailand.

Thanks, but are you saying I should not rely on it to draw cash in the UK.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, but are you saying I should not rely on it to draw cash in the UK.

Was referring to your question on renewal - AFAIK will work but if UnionPay might want to confirm as believe people had reported issues when first issued in some locations.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Was referring to your question on renewal - AFAIK will work but if UnionPay might want to confirm as believe people had reported issues when first issued in some locations.

Thanks, I know about Union Pay, and will not accept it.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

How long can I renew my debit card before the date it expires? If I go to the UK for a few months before my card expires, how can I renew it there?

1333?   Or just go to a branch and ask for a new card at any time, that will have a new expiry date,

They can't be renewed outside Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not that it "is possible", they're issued as a matter of course, the choice is the customer's.

A reading of the dictionary definition of possible is in order.

It is possible.  Some branches offer it as a matter of course, in others it may still be possible but as I understnd the Union Bank card is the card the Bangkok Bank prefers (for commercial reasons) some ban tellers prefer not to make that choice available. Sometimes this reluctance is able to be overcome.  At other times an account at another branch of the bank may be an option).  If you also have internet bank with the Bangkok Bank that account can be added to that too so you do not have to move all your money.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, harrry said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not that it "is possible", they're issued as a matter of course, the choice is the customer's.

A reading of the dictionary definition of possible is in order.

It is possible.  Some branches offer it as a matter of course, in others it may still be possible but as I understnd the Union Bank card is the card the Bangkok Bank prefers (for commercial reasons) some ban tellers prefer not to make that choice available.

"A reading of the dictionary definition of possible is in order".

Well, go ahead and read it then, if it helps you. 

"I understnd the Union Bank card is the card the Bangkok Bank prefers (for commercial reasons)..."

What?  You understand wrong.  Bangkok Bank does not issue Union Bank [sic] cards.

The reasons for BBL issuing Mastercards are "commercial" also.   No BBL branch will refuse a Mastercard in favour of UnionPay and the choice is not up to the tellers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"A reading of the dictionary definition of possible is in order".

Well, go ahead and read it then, if it helps you. 

"I understnd the Union Bank card is the card the Bangkok Bank prefers (for commercial reasons)..."

What?  You understand wrong.  Bangkok Bank does not issue Union Bank [sic] cards.

The reasons for BBL issuing Mastercards are "commercial" also.   No BBL branch will refuse a Mastercard in favour of UnionPay and the choice is not up to the tellers.

It is only recently that you can even get MasterCard from BBL - they issued VISA until became UnionPay and they indeed would not issue anything else until people took business elsewhere as almost no merchants accepted.  And as for everything else with banking the choice is very much up to the branch/manager/teller you talk with.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It is only recently that you can even get MasterCard from BBL - they issued VISA until became UnionPay and they indeed would not issue anything else until people took business elsewhere as almost no merchants accepted.  And as for everything else with banking the choice is very much up to the branch/manager/teller you talk with.

No, it's not just recently. 

BBL did start off just offering UnionPay but they've been issuing Mastercard debit cards for at least a couple of years (Visa did not "become"  UnionPay, they are different companies).   

The choice of cards is not "very much up to the branch manager or teller", managers or tellers do not set BBL policy.  Mastercard is issued by every BBL branch.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

22 hours ago, harrry said:

but as I understnd the Union Bank card is the card the Bangkok Bank prefers (for commercial reasons) some ban tellers prefer not to make that choice available.

When applying for a new card after VISA expired some three months ago at my Bangkok bank branch there was not a syllable wasted on Union Pay.

Was handed over the Mastercard without any asking/choice.

Maybe I had this "don't even think about it" look :>)

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's not just recently. 

BBL did start off just offering UnionPay but they've been issuing Mastercard debit cards for at least a couple of years (Visa did not "become"  UnionPay, they are different companies).   

The choice of cards is not "very much up to the branch manager or teller", managers or tellers do not set BBL policy.  Mastercard is issued by every BBL branch.

Became UnionPay was in reference to Bangkok Bank becoming UnionPay vender not that Visa changed - sorry was not clear - and understand last several years (recently to one that has 50 years here) they have loosened up but it is still UnionPay unless you make a choice for another as of last year.  For ATM card UnionPay works fine in Thailand but for merchants not many accept and even those that do have to hunt up special equipment to process payment on.  It has been a real failure in marketing for some reason.  

Maybe a little off topic--but if you are going to get a Debit Card---advise the one sponsored by AirAsia--Think its a Visa one.

Pre Covid, found it really useful if traveling. Board the plane first/luggage off first (even if you haven't used it for flight payment) .Front of Queue at any desk--if used it for booking flight no charges,use it anywhere else--just a little before you are awarded free 20-30Kl Luggage, Red seats-- always free coffee on flights.  etc etc.......... NOooo I don't work for AA.... just quite surprised on what they give out in Thailand. Compared to Cards I have had UK/Oz etc

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

it is still UnionPay unless you make a choice

"...unless you make a choice",

That is the point.    MC is there for those who prefer it and I agree with your observation regarding merchants not accepting UP.    Some merchants don't even accept BBL debit cards for online payments, Tops (online payments), for instance.  

Just before the covid struck. For my trip to the UK I needed a new debit card from Bangkok Bank, old one not out of date just a bit grubby.  Passport and pass book in hand just gave the old card back at my branch in Udon, I told them I needed it for international use as I was traveling, If you don't tell them they just give you an ATM card. The one I got works well,  its RF and for small amounts you don't stick it in the machine, you just tap it with the card.

Forgot to say its Master Card

Edited by Steve&mem
Forgot

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, I know about Union Pay, and will not accept it.

Just go into your local branch and tell them you want a new Mastercard debit card.

It will cost you a couple of hundred baht. Plus they might try and sell you some insurance to go with it. ????

• Thanks 1